Pettersson vs Matthews

Who will be the better player?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
If Pettersson continues on this trajectory he will be in his own tier under McDavid, separate from Matthews/Eichel/Mackinnon etc. Why the **** do these guys have to be in our division?

What trajectory is that? He's 47th in points and 21st in goals. Matthews finished his rookie season 20th in points and 2nd in goals a year younger.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Uhm the canucks would be bottom of the standings without Pettersson. Canucks were bad last year and replaced the 100 points from the Sedins with a pair of depth forwards. In games where Elias doesn't record a point they are 1-12-2. If he somehow dragged this carcass of a team to the playoffs he should probably get mvp votes. Please just watch Poo and Gudbranson play one shift and tell me how Matthews would lead this team to the playoffs.
Seeing as how Matthews took the Leafs from last place overall to the playoffs in his rookie season, he only finished 11th in Hart Trophy voting in 2017. So if Pettersson got the Canucks to the playoffs this season I can not see him doing any better in voting for the Hart Trophy than Matthews did in his rookie season.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
What trajectory is that? He's 47th in points and 21st in goals. Matthews finished his rookie season 20th in points and 2nd in goals a year younger.

Guess Barzal is better than Matthews too because he got 80 points in his rookie year. Context matters, Pettersson is franchise centre material weighing a solid 170lbs and is hard as hell to knock off the puck, wins board battles, defensively very good. If I’m starting a franchise I’m picking him over Matthews 10/10 times. Matthews is very good though, franchise player in his own right.

Edit: why am I defending a canucks player? Nucks fans come defend your mans

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Seeing as how Matthews took the Leafs from last place overall to the playoffs in his rookie season, he only finished 11th in Hart Trophy voting in 2017. So if Pettersson got the Canucks to the playoffs this season I can not see him doing any better in voting for the Hart Trophy than Matthews did in his rookie season.

I've never seen anyone make as many false equivalencies as you

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I've never seen anyone make as many false equivalencies as you
What exactly did I say that was false equivalencies? It's a fact that in Matthews rookie season he finished 11th in Hart Trophy voting after getting the Leafs to the playoffs that season, where as 1 year earlier they finished last place overall. So if the Canucks made the playoffs this season I can not see how Pettersson would do any better in the Hart Trophy voting.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Guess Barzal is better than Matthews too because he got 80 points in his rookie year. Context matters, Pettersson is franchise centre material weighing a solid 170lbs and is hard as hell to knock off the puck, wins board battles, defensively very good. If I’m starting a franchise I’m picking him over Matthews 10/10 times. Matthews is very good though, franchise player in his own right.

Lol, you literally just said if he continues on this trajectory he'll be better than anyone besides McDavid and I pointed out to you that Matthews was on a better trajectory at a younger age. There is definitely no guarantee he ends up better than anyone besides McDavid, but I think he's a safe bet to be a top 10 player and probably close to Matthews.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
What exactly did I say that was false equivalencies? It's a fact that in Matthews rookie season he finished 11th in Hart Trophy voting after getting the Leafs to the playoffs that season, where as 1 year earlier they finished last place overall. So if the Canucks made the playoffs this season I can not see how Pettersson would do any better in the Hart Trophy voting.

You're associating the Leafs improvement with Matthews alone when the team added 2 other 60 point rookies, a number 1 goalie, a new head coach, etc. You're trying to use the same characteristic that each bottom feeder team added an elite rookie to claim that each rookie's value can be measured by the team improvement, ignoring the other additions that make their situations dissimilar.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
You're associating the Leafs improvement with Matthews alone when the team added 2 other 60 point rookies, a number 1 goalie, a new head coach, etc. You're trying to use the same characteristic that each bottom feeder team added an elite rookie to claim that each rookie's value can bw measured by the team improvement, ignoring the other additions that make each situation dissimilar.
You are forgetting that Andersen did not have the best start to his Leafs career during the month of October and in general the Leafs did not clinch their playoff spot until their 81st regular season game. While Matthews was not the only reason why Toronto had any success he was still a major reason for it.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
How is Matthews getting far more support? He played with Marluea and Kapapen/johnson/brown the majority of the season.. Doesn't Petterson play with Boeser?

Matthews has never needed Marner to get going and the fact that they have played an extremely low amount of time together proves that, They were only together for a couple games because the entire team's offense wasn't working and quickly removed. If Babcock stacked the lines with Matthews/Marner and played him 3:50 minutes a game on the powerplay like Petterson gets compared to his 2:26 minutes I wonder how things change?

It's funny all I hear is how much more "support" Matthews is getting but he doesn't even seem to play with better line mates and he plays for Babcock a coach who doesn't ever just gift a player 4 mins a game of PP time like Petterson is getting. Matthews just doesn't get those top Powerplay minutes compared to other top scorers, Babcock just doesn't operate like that but imagine his stats compared to Petterson if Matthews had a coach who supported him like Petterson does?

Antoine Roussel is the Canucks 2nd best winger. And we have Gudbranson/Pouliot.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
You are forgetting that Andersen did not have the best start to his Leafs career during the month of October and in general the Leafs did not clinch their playoff spot until their 81st regular season game. While Matthews was not the only reason why Toronto had any success he was still a major reason for it.

Anderson was then great the rest of the season, providing consistency and stability at the position that the Leafs hadn't had in years. Matthews was a huge reason for the Leafs improvement, yes, but in general the team still made far more positive moves between the two seasons than the Canucks have. The Canucks don't have to make the playoffs for Pettersson to be seen as being of similar value, though he won't garner much support for the Hart unless they do, I agree, and even then, likely wouldn't finish overly high.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
The Canucks added overpaid bottom 6 forwards and depth Leafs forward Leivo

Leafs added Marner Andersen and forwards that pushed Leivo down

Canucks have a trash roster outside of 3 forwards, and 2 dmen (no #1s)

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Without any bias, I don't know who will be better. And...that's okay. Happy the NHL has so many young stars. As a Leafs fan, Matthews is everything and more than we've wanted.

EP40 has been amazing to watch in his short time in the league and his skill and hockey IQ is elite. His shot is killer too. Very interested to see how he turns out in the next couple years. Happy that Nucks fans have some studs to be excited about the future (Horvat, Boeser, EP40).

ijuka

May 14, 2016
The Canucks added overpaid bottom 6 forwards and depth Leafs forward Leivo

Leafs added Marner Andersen and forwards that pushed Leivo down

Canucks have a trash roster outside of 3 forwards, and 2 dmen (no #1s)
Always was a 2nd liner though, Leafs just didn't let him play in such a role. He's no depth forward.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Always was a 2nd liner though, Leafs just didn't let him play in such a role. He's no depth forward.

LOL. Josh Leivo has never been/is not a "2nd liner"(except maybe in Vancouver). You're dreaming.

He's a 3rd line player, forced into higher pairing service by a team with poor depth.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Pretty sure matthews didnt miss 12 games in his rookie season.

and ep could still score 40 goals even while missing 12 games

honestly its not worth defending a player leaf fans havent seen play to leaf fans

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
Matthews has looked mediocre past few games. Guess he got his monay and now he can chill.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Matthews has looked mediocre past few games. Guess he got his monay and now he can chill.
Truth be told, whether some can admit it or not, he’s looked that way since just before Christmas and the 5 goals in 21 games he’s on since then are justified.

He was fine coming back after the injury but a few games after that he was hit hard and fell awkwardly and hasn’t not looked fully engaged since.

I’m not discounting the possibility he’s carrying a lingering injury here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad