Pettersson vs Matthews

Who will be the better player?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Paul Kariya was just on the hometown hockey broadcast in the 1st intermission and he in fact did say that Pettersson reminds him of Gretzky.

I also once heard Kariya say he prefers Burger King to McDonald’s so I’m not sure how much stock I’d put into his opinion.

Mar 26, 2010
If you genuinely believe he’s going to sustain this pace, I’ve got a handful of magical beans you may be interested in (and I’m more than willing to sell for the right price)
Ahh well... not much more you can say.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
You said it. At the risk of sounding like an old man, I have seen this time and time again since I joined this since in 2009...

2018: Barzal
2017: Draisaitl
2016: Gaudreau
2015: Tarasenko
2014: Voracek

Not to say these guys aren't all fantastic hockey players, but they each had a year of massive overhype on HF like we're seeing now with Petterson.

Jimmy Hockey and Draisaitl are both in the top 10 in league scoring so Im not sure exactly how that list fits your narrative......

Reactions: MattMartin

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Pettersson leads Matthews in goals, assists, and points this season. As a rookie. Vastly better +/- to go with it. What more is there to do?
For Pettersson to come close to Matthews he will also need to get the Canucks into the playoffs and it looks like that won't happen, where as Matthews did that for Toronto in his Draft +1 season.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
For Pettersson to come close to Matthews he will also need to get the Canucks into the playoffs and it looks like that won't happen, where as Matthews did that for Toronto in his Draft +1 season.

Apples and oranges.

Matthews' team added Fredrik Andersen, Mitchell Marner, and William Nylander at the same time they added him. It's not some crazy miracle that they went from dead last to a bubble team when they added those 4 great players.

Pettersson's team added Jay Beagle and Antoine Roussel. And they're still right in the mix.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Apples and oranges.

Matthews' team added Fredrik Andersen, Mitchell Marner, and William Nylander at the same time they added him. It's not some crazy miracle that they went from dead last to a bubble team when they added those 4 great players.

Pettersson's team added Jay Beagle and Antoine Roussel. And they're still right in the mix.
Still if other people on here consider Pettersson to be better than Matthews which I consider to be wrong, he will have to get the Canucks in the playoffs for his rookie season to be better than Matthews rookie season.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Still if other people on here consider Pettersson to be better than Matthews which I consider to be wrong, he will have to get the Canucks in the playoffs for his rookie season to be better than Matthews rookie season.

What's stopping from you applying this exact same logic to Nico Hischier's rookie season in comparison to Mathew Barzal's rookie season?

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
What's stopping from you applying this exact same logic to Nico Hischier's rookie season in comparison to Mathew Barzal's rookie season?
How many other people on here said Barzal was a better player than Hischier? That's the main difference because the Canucks fans are so desperate to make Pettersson than Matthews it's becoming a sad thing for them to do.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
How many other people on here said Barzal was a better player than Hischier? That's the main difference because the Canucks fans are so desperate to make Pettersson than Matthews it's becoming a sad thing for them to do.

Um, everybody? Everybody said Barzal was better than Hischier? I'm not sure what you mean there. If I start a Barzal Vs. Hischier poll asking who had the better rookie season tonight, it would be locked by the time I wake up in the morning tomorrow. (With a win in favor of Barzal, despite the fact that his team missed the playoffs and Hischier's team made it.) This is because Barzal was better than Hischier - regardless of whose team made the playoffs.

On a similar note, Matthews' rookie season is not automatically better than Pettersson's rookie season if Vancouver misses the playoffs. That is just stupid logic. These guys are both one player and they can only do so much for their teams. I think that most honest fans, who aren't extremely biased in either direction, can agree that if you swapped rookie Matthews and rookie Pettersson in each of their rookie seasons, Pettersson's Leafs and Matthews' Canucks would have had very similar performances to the real performances of Matthews' Leafs and Pettersson's Canucks.

There are more Toronto fans than fans of any other team (including Vancouver), and playing for Toronto has generally been shown to have either no effect improve a player's performance in HF polls. I don't know how Vancouver fans are so desperate to make Pettersson better than Matthews. HF currently has 59.6% voting Pettersson and 33.6% voting Matthews. I would imagine that if you removed Vancouver fans and Toronto fans, the margin would only grow in favor of Pettersson.

Last edited:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Um, everybody? Everybody said Barzal was better than Hischier? I'm not sure what you mean there. If I start a Barzal Vs. Hischier poll asking who had the better rookie season tonight, it would be locked by the time I wake up in the morning tomorrow.

There are more Toronto fans than fans of any other team (including Vancouver), and playing for Toronto has generally been shown to have either no effect improve a player's performance in HF polls. I don't know how Vancouver fans are so desperate to make Pettersson better than Matthews. HF currently has 59.6% voting Pettersson and 33.6% voting Matthews. I would imagine that if you removed Vancouver fans and Toronto fans, the margin would only grow in favor of Pettersson.
Here is a link to a Pettersson vs Marner poll that was created just one day after Pettersson's 1st NHL game.

Petterson vs Marner

So it's just another example of Vancouver fans who hate the attention Toronto players get, so why create a question like that after just his first game and now this poll of Pettersson vs Matthews. These polls further prove my point about them shoving Pettersson in our faces, especially when he's up against any players on Toronto.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Here is a link to a Pettersson vs Marner poll that was created just one day after Pettersson's 1st NHL game.

Petterson vs Marner

So it's just another example of Vancouver fans who hate the attention Toronto players get, so why create a question like that after just his first game and now this poll of Pettersson vs Matthews. These polls further prove my point about them shoving Pettersson in our faces, especially when he's up against any players on Toronto.

That thread was made by a Canadiens fan.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
On a similar note, Matthews' rookie season is not automatically better than Pettersson's rookie season if Vancouver misses the playoffs. That is just stupid logic. These guys are both one player and they can only do so much for their teams. I think that most honest fans, who aren't extremely biased in either direction, can agree that if you swapped rookie Matthews and rookie Pettersson in each of their rookie seasons, Pettersson's Leafs and Matthews' Canucks would have had very similar performances to the real performances of Matthews' Leafs and Pettersson's Canucks.
You can believe that if you want to. However in my opinion if others on here have said Pettersson is having or will have a better rookie season than Matthews, shouldn't the Canucks making or missing the playoffs also be a factor? No matter what you think it's something Matthews still did as a rookie.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
You can believe that if you want to. However in my opinion if others on here have said Pettersson is having or will have a better rookie season than Matthews, shouldn't the Canucks making or missing the playoffs also be a factor? No matter what you think it's something Matthews still did as a rookie.
Grasping at straws much? ...

Reactions: Mergatroidskittle

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

So are you going to apply this same logic to Nico Hischier and Mathew Barzal? Do you think that Hischier had a better rookie season than Barzal? If Vancouver misses the playoffs this year, did Nico Hischier have a better rookie season than Elias Pettersson?

The point still stands that it was a Pettersson vs Marner thread created after he only played 1 NHL game which was a stupid time to create it and this poll further proves my point that Pettersson is being shoved in the faces by Canucks fans.

In the first page of that thread, there were 9 posts with Maple Leafs in the avatars and one post with a Canuck in the avatar.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
So are you going to apply this same logic to Nico Hischier and Mathew Barzal? Do you think that Hischier had a better rookie season than Barzal? If Vancouver misses the playoffs this year, did Nico Hischier have a better rookie season than Elias Pettersson?

In the first page of that thread, there were 9 posts with Maple Leafs in the avatars and one post with a Canuck in the avatar.
Like I said before I don't recall anyone posting a Barzal vs Hischier poll asking who had the better rookie season just because one of them made the playoffs and the other one won the Calder. On this thread Pettersson was said to have a better rookie season than Matthews and I gave the example of Matthews making the playoffs in his rookie season.

There was Leafs fans posting on that poll at how stupid it was at the time given that Pettersson had played 1 NHL game.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Wasn’t there a Matthews vs McDavid!! poll after Matthews 1st game? That one vs McDavid!! wasn’t premature but the Pettersson vs Marner one is more so?

Also, it’s not just Pettersson vs leaf player that this board has been obsessed with.

The following polls are from Dec 1st up until now and I didn’t add some of repeats that were there too.

Pettersson vs McDavid

Kotkanieni vs Pettersson

Barzal vs. Pettersson

Pettersson vs Dahlin going forward

Barkov vs Pettersson

Who's Been Better This Season: Elias Pettersson or Evgeni Malkin?

Pettersson vs Eichel

Backstrom vs Pettersson

Pettersson or Rantanen

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
Uhm the canucks would be bottom of the standings without Pettersson. Canucks were bad last year and replaced the 100 points from the Sedins with a pair of depth forwards. In games where Elias doesn't record a point they are 1-12-2. If he somehow dragged this carcass of a team to the playoffs he should probably get mvp votes. Please just watch Poo and Gudbranson play one shift and tell me how Matthews would lead this team to the playoffs.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Paul Kariya was just on the hometown hockey broadcast in the 1st intermission and he in fact did say that Pettersson reminds him of Gretzky.

I also once heard Kariya say he prefers Burger King to McDonald’s so I’m not sure how much stock I’d put into his opinion.
Burger King is worse than dog food

Genuinely, you ever tasted the cookies from a dog treat bar at a pet store? Theyre just like regular cookies.

Reactions: koyvoo

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

Lol, true. The thing is he has similarities in his play style, but I would argue Marner does too. Neither will be close to comparable to how good he was obviously.

Last edited:
Reactions: koyvoo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->