Pettersson vs Matthews

Who will be the better player?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Auston Matthews is obviously a great talent, but I would worry a bit about him being a showman. He has more of an NBA player type personality, where he is worried about his image, for example his GQ spread. A few of his goal celebrations are suspect as well. This tells me he might put himself above his team and that's a bad sign going forward. On the other hand, Pettersson is 100% committed to his team and his own game. He would never do a goal celebration that was an add-on to the initial emotion of scoring a goal or doing a look at me photo-shoot for a fashion magazine , because he knows it would make him look foolish and immature. It's for that reason that I suspect that in the coming years Pettersson will establish himself as the better player.

Totally logical opinion, just look at Ovechkin for example.

POVERTY

Leafs and Marchand fan
Sep 27, 2017
Even though he looks like a stick of mozzarella cheese string, EP will go down as a top 5 player in history ainec

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Close but I'll go with Pettersson, he does almost as much with far less talent. Matthews should be a top 3 player in the league imo but he always leaves something to be desired, even among many leafs fans.

eiWjCIn.png

Reactions: DelusionalLeafsFan

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Pettersson. He’s having a better rookie season than Matthews’ rookie season and his sophomore season.
And he’s doing it with far less support.
Not many rookies are the offensive catalyst for their teams like EP.

Is he really though? Matthews finished 20th in points and 2nd in goals, tied for 31st in points per game with Ovechkin. Pettersson is currently 47th in points, tied for 25th in points per game with 2 others and is 21st in goals. Petterson is 20, Matthews was 19. If you consider that a better rookie season already than all the power to you.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Honest question. Will Pettersson get to 40 goals this year?

He's all of 15 away right now.

Will Matthews get to 40 goals this year?

He's all of 16 away right now.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
The poll is who will be the better player, not who's the better player right now.

I know but there was a poll already much earlier in the season about who was better currently and Pettersson won, and there are people in this thread right here stating he is better right now or has had a better rookie season already, which he hasn't and won't.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
It's just too funny to see how many people believe Pettersson has been better than Matthews already, it's quite simply just not true.

Pettersson leads Matthews in goals, assists, and points this season. As a rookie. Vastly better +/- to go with it. What more is there to do?

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
How is Matthews getting far more support? He played with Marluea and Kapapen/johnson/brown the majority of the season.. Doesn't Petterson play with Boeser?

Matthews has never needed Marner to get going and the fact that they have played an extremely low amount of time together proves that, They were only together for a couple games because the entire team's offense wasn't working and quickly removed. If Babcock stacked the lines with Matthews/Marner and played him 3:50 minutes a game on the powerplay like Petterson gets compared to his 2:26 minutes I wonder how things change?

It's funny all I hear is how much more "support" Matthews is getting but he doesn't even seem to play with better line mates and he plays for Babcock a coach who doesn't ever just gift a player 4 mins a game of PP time like Petterson is getting. Matthews just doesn't get those top Powerplay minutes compared to other top scorers, Babcock just doesn't operate like that but imagine his stats compared to Petterson if Matthews had a coach who supported him like Petterson does?

Are you seriously arguing this? Look at what team compared to the other offensively.
Look at the offensive amount of support Matthews receives in the back end offensively, while Petterson is strandled with plugs like Gudbranson and Pouliot.
Plus Matthews plays with Marner on the power play. EP doesn't have actual legit left winger on his line, it's always rotating with middle 6 wingers.
EP is doing more with less, simple as that.

It's funny how you can't seem to acknowledge Matthews being put in a more favourable position.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He doesn't need to, despite already being one of the best players in the league he's still also a young rookie that will develop tremendously the next few years. Nothing of his game is relying on a high shooting percentage.

Except for the fact that he’s currently scoring 1 goal in every 4 shots and that is in no way going to last (meaning his goal scoring is going to drop by a fair margin).

Hugh Mungus

Feb 1, 2017
nucks nation
Are you seriously arguing this? Look at what team compared to the other offensively.
Look at the offensive amount of support Matthews receives in the back end offensively, while Petterson is strandled with plugs like Gudbranson and Pouliot.
Plus Matthews plays with Marner on the power play. EP doesn't have actual legit left winger on his line, it's always rotating with middle 6 wingers.
EP is doing more with less, simple as that.

It's funny how you can't seem to acknowledge Matthews being put in a more favourable position.
Also Pettersson is the oppositions main target target every night. Matthews is the third most important target for opposing teams.

Reactions: CascadiaPuck

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Also Pettersson is the oppositions main target target every night. Matthews is the third most important target for opposing teams.

Pettersson also is in the top 3 for primary points per game. He also has very little empty net points.

and plus Boeser had an injury plagued season so he wasn't exactly on EP's line all the time.

EP has been better than Matthews this season, pretty simple.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Close but I'll go with Pettersson, he does almost as much with far less talent. Matthews should be a top 3 player in the league imo but he always leaves something to be desired, even among many leafs fans.

eiWjCIn.png

wow a rookie pettersson already has a better heroes chart than 3 year veteran matthews

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
As much as I'd love to laugh at leafs fans for all their failures over the years and how dumb the contracts Dubas has handed out have been this is Matthews AINEC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad