Pettersson vs Matthews

Who will be the better player?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
lets give this 1 to Pettersson, in a few yrs we can be all "hey you remember that time!" lol

Mar 14, 2011
Pettersson for sure.

Played better this season despite playing for a worse team and not getting as much as offensive support as Matthews.
EP's PP 3:53 per game
AM's PP time 2:27 per game
As for 5 vs 5 linemates, EP's most common forwards on his line are Boeser and Goldobin while Matthews most common forward linemates are Kapanen and Marleau, so the whole argument of Matthews being in a much more better position to produce than EP is overblown as Babcock is not a fan of overloading the Leafs' 1st line. Thou, I have to admit that the Leafs' defence are much better at supporting the Leafs forwards in transition and in the offensive zone compare to that, highly immobile Nucks defence; everyone but Troy Stecher have been abysmal to below average in zone exits with possession and zone entries with possession, and come to think of it that is actually pretty awful so maybe their is some truth to Matthews being in a better position than EP.

Last edited:
Reactions: DelusionalLeafsFan

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Matthews.

He was JUST as "dynamic" in his rookie season, and is bigger, stronger, and well, better.

I know EP is doing well as a rookie so a bunch of people are all tingly and excited, but let's just calm down a little here, folks.

Reactions: tom leafers

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Lol....Pettersson has 2more points in 5 more games but ...o.k.
I remember last year when Barzal was the new shiny toy.

Yet you forget the major difference between one player getting far more support than the other.

Heck Babcock at one point had to put Marner on Matthews wing to get the latter going.

Keep thinking this is the shiny new toy, whatever helps you leafs fans sleep at night. (While being asleep whenever the kid plays)

EP has been the better player than Matthews is. Atleast the results in the poll are accurate.

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON
Typical HF shiny new toy syndrome.
You said it. At the risk of sounding like an old man, I have seen this time and time again since I joined this since in 2009...

2018: Barzal
2017: Draisaitl
2016: Gaudreau
2015: Tarasenko
2014: Voracek

Not to say these guys aren't all fantastic hockey players, but they each had a year of massive overhype on HF like we're seeing now with Petterson.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
You said it. At the risk of sounding like an old man, I have seen this time and time again since I joined this since in 2009...

Not to say these guys aren't all fantastic hockey players, but they each had a year of massive overhype on HF like we're seeing now with Petterson.

2016: Auston Matthews

;)

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
Yet you forget the major difference between one player getting far more support than the other.

Heck Babcock at one point had to put Marner on Matthews wing to get the latter going.

Keep thinking this is the shiny new toy, whatever helps you leafs fans sleep at night. (While being asleep whenever the kid plays)

EP has been the better player than Matthews is. Atleast the results in the poll are accurate.
You said it wasn't close yet he only has 2 points more in 5 more games. I guess facts aren't your strong point. Lol.....we have a top 5 team in the league. Why would Van having a good young player keep us up at night.eafs havelike 7 of them.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
You said it wasn't close yet he only has 2 points more in 5 more games. I guess facts aren't your strong point. Lol.....we have a top 5 team in the league. Why would Van having a good young player keep us up at night.eafs havelike 7 of them.

It's like you are unable to actually comprehend the crap you are posting.

Elias GOATtersson

Jan 8, 2011

Lol. Show me the 50 points in 45 games for any of those players? The creativity, confidence, everything that makes pettersson pettersson.

East Coast fans asleep when Pettersson plays should try actually watching him, not just stat watching. Ignorance is no excuse :shakehead

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
D+1:
Matthews = 29th in pts/gp, 5th in goals/gp
Pettersson = Not in NHL

D+2:
Matthews = 22nd in pts/gp, 2nd in goals/gp
Pettersson = 27th in pts/gp and 12th in goals/gp

Comparing both players D+2 years, Matthews season is quite better

Comparing their rookie years (Pettersson gets an edge since he's a year older in that situation being D+2), points are close, but Matthews still with a good edge on goals.

Going forward, it could be either one of them and I wouldn't be surprised.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
D+1:
Matthews = 29th in pts/gp, 5th in goals/gp
Pettersson = Not in NHL

D+2:
Matthews = 22nd in pts/gp, 2nd in goals/gp
Pettersson = 27th in pts/gp and 12th in goals/gp

Comparing both players D+2 years, Matthews season is quite better

Comparing their rookie years (Pettersson gets an edge since he's a year older in that situation being D+2), points are close, but Matthews still with a good edge on goals.

Going forward, it could be either one of them and I wouldn't be surprised.

Helps to have 1 season on hand

There is always an adjustment to the NHL and your new team/system

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
It's closer than people are giving it credit for. Matthew's insane hot streaks at 40 goal rookie season still amaze me. I remember how he opened up this season. If he can find more consistency he'll be a top 3 goal scorer for years in the league IMO. Just depends on if you think Pettersson will make up for it with playmaking and defense. Although, fwiw, Pettersson is pacing 45 goals over a full 82 game season so who knows how high his ceiling is - even in pure goalscoring.

When all is said and done I'd probably give it to Pettersson so far.
The ridiculous thing is Matthews is on pace for 41 goals and 80 points in 68 games this season. He’s not at his hottest right now(though not cold like he was earlier in the year) but he tends to be at his best at the beginning and end of the season... so that could still pick up.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Close but I'll give the edge to Pettersson, both offensively and defensively. I think he'll be pushing for #2 in the NHL behind McDavid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad