Pettersson vs Matthews

Who will be the better player?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Auston Matthews is obviously a great talent, but I would worry a bit about him being a showman. He has more of an NBA player type personality, where he is worried about his image, for example his GQ spread. A few of his goal celebrations are suspect as well. This tells me he might put himself above his team and that's a bad sign going forward. On the other hand, Pettersson is 100% committed to his team and his own game. He would never do a goal celebration that was an add-on to the initial emotion of scoring a goal or doing a look at me photo-shoot for a fashion magazine , because he knows it would make him look foolish and immature. It's for that reason that I suspect that in the coming years Pettersson will establish himself as the better player.

Reactions: flipp and Sacul

Love

Feb 29, 2012
I'd keep Pettersson but I don't think theres a wrong answer right now.

Finn16

Feb 15, 2018
Yet you forget the major difference between one player getting far more support than the other.

Heck Babcock at one point had to put Marner on Matthews wing to get the latter going.

Keep thinking this is the shiny new toy, whatever helps you leafs fans sleep at night. (While being asleep whenever the kid plays)

EP has been the better player than Matthews is. Atleast the results in the poll are accurate.

How is Matthews getting far more support? He played with Marluea and Kapapen/johnson/brown the majority of the season.. Doesn't Petterson play with Boeser?

Matthews has never needed Marner to get going and the fact that they have played an extremely low amount of time together proves that, They were only together for a couple games because the entire team's offense wasn't working and quickly removed. If Babcock stacked the lines with Matthews/Marner and played him 3:50 minutes a game on the powerplay like Petterson gets compared to his 2:26 minutes I wonder how things change?

It's funny all I hear is how much more "support" Matthews is getting but he doesn't even seem to play with better line mates and he plays for Babcock a coach who doesn't ever just gift a player 4 mins a game of PP time like Petterson is getting. Matthews just doesn't get those top Powerplay minutes compared to other top scorers, Babcock just doesn't operate like that but imagine his stats compared to Petterson if Matthews had a coach who supported him like Petterson does?

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
How is Matthews getting far more support? He played with Marluea and Kapapen/johnson/brown the majority of the season.. Doesn't Petterson play with Boeser?

Matthews has never needed Marner to get going and the fact that they have played an extremely low amount of time together proves that, They were only together for a couple games because the entire team's offense wasn't working and quickly removed. If Babcock stacked the lines with Matthews/Marner and played him 3:50 minutes a game on the powerplay like Petterson gets compared to his 2:26 minutes I wonder how things change?

It's funny all I hear is how much more "support" Matthews is getting but he doesn't even seem to play with better line mates and he plays for Babcock a coach who doesn't ever just gift a player 4 mins a game of PP time like Petterson is getting. Matthews just doesn't get those top Powerplay minutes compared to other top scorers, Babcock just doesn't operate like that but imagine his stats compared to Petterson if Matthews had a coach who supported him like Petterson does?

The canucks have terrible scoring depth and that makes it easier to key in on Pettersson. The Canucks defense is terrible as well. Last night for example, Gudbranson and Pouliot could not get the puck out of their own zone, not on just a few occasions, but all night long. That has an affect on your offence. So yes, Matthews definitely has better support, and his stats are elevated because of it.

Reactions: Sayonara77

WillTheThrill

Mar 2, 2016
Auston Matthews is obviously a great talent, but I would worry a bit about him being a showman. He has more of an NBA player type personality, where he is worried about his image, for example his GQ spread. A few of his goal celebrations are suspect as well. This tells me he might put himself above his team and that's a bad sign going forward. On the other hand, Pettersson is 100% committed to his team and his own game. He would never do a goal celebration that was an add-on to the initial emotion of scoring a goal or doing a look at me photo-shoot for a fashion magazine , because he knows it would make him look foolish and immature. It's for that reason that I suspect that in the coming years Pettersson will establish himself as the better player.
Loool I can understand people picking Pettersson, but not for this reason. If it's true that Matthews has more of an NBA player type personality (he doesn't) it should be welcomed in a league that is so bland. Also FYI McDavid also did a "GQ spread". I wouldn't read too much into it.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Correct answer is probably "too close to call", but this seems like such a loaded question to this forum that everyone has to choose sides.

Leafs fans won't vote "too close" because they fear Matthews is poorly represented by the result of the poll, and haters/neutrals will vote against Matthews because they know Leaf homers won't vote honestly "too close" so they have to go the other opposite and also give no quarter.

Reactions: DelusionalLeafsFan

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018

Have you seen Canucks blueline? With gudbrandsson out there for 25 min a game forwards dont get any help at all.

Alfapet

Oct 26, 2007
Haven’t watched Matthews enough this season to vote.

Out of interest, how many empty net points does Matthews have? I believe EP got very few, if any.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I wonder how the Pettersson folks are going to cope when they realize he’s not going to sustain a 26% sh%

He doesn't need to, despite already being one of the best players in the league he's still also a young rookie that will develop tremendously the next few years. Nothing of his game is relying on a high shooting percentage.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
EP is going to be something ridiculously special in terms of being 'the guy' on his team. Everytime I watch this little shit, he's getting a couple points and the most dangerous player on the ice for both teams.

Just when the Flames thought they were over these little Swedes torching us, it's like a rollback in time.

Matthews will always be the more accomplished goal scorer, and I won't even argue that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->