Petterson or Dahlin?

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
If you watched the Sabres any time in the past ~5 seasons, you would know Dahlin is a massive part of why the team is miraculously much better now that he's on it. It's not a coincidence. Those talented forwards we have barely got to play with the puck in past years because our defense couldn't effectively transition from defense to offense.

Definitely agree, but if the forwards had no talent the transitional play would be useless. Dahlin will be a very good player but the impact Pettersson has had on his team has been greater. Dahlin has been sheltered, doesn’t play the PK, and is 5th in ice time behind Ristolainen, Bogosian, McCabe, Scandella. Pettersson is about to break his back carrying the Canucks this season.

Last edited:

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Definitely agree, but if the forwards had no talent the transitional play would be useless. Dahlin will be a very good player but the impact Pettersson has had on his team has been greater. Dahlin has been sheltered, doesn’t play the PK, and is 5th in ice time behind Ristolainen, Bogosian, McCabe, Scandella. Pettersson is about to break his back carrying the Canucks this season.

Yeah, no. Dahlin played the first handful of games sheltered on the 3rd pairing with 0 special teams time, but since then he's mostly played 20-22 minutes/game skating in our top 4.

pettersson

Oct 8, 2018
I agree, I was more pointing out that saying what Dahlin is doing right now isn't special because Ekblad did almost the same thing a couple years ago is ridiculous since Ekblad's performance won him the Calder.
It won him the Calder because everyone else didn't do that great in comparison. Also, there are 3 d-men rookies on similar pace... I'm not saying that dahlin won't be the player everyone projects him to be but this pace, what he's doing right now, isn't phenomenal/generational just because he's 18 and going to hit 40. Ekblad and Fowler (both had good rookie years) are already 2 d-men to do this in the last 8 yrs. If he hits 50+, and I honestly wouldn't doubt it considering how everyone talks about him, then I'm impressed

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
It won him the Calder because everyone else didn't do that great in comparison. Also, there are 3 d-men rookies on similar pace... I'm not saying that dahlin won't be the player everyone projects him to be but this pace, what he's doing right now, isn't phenomenal/generational just because he's 18 and going to hit 40. Ekblad and Fowler (both had good rookie years) are already 2 d-men to do this in the last 8 yrs. If he hits 50+, and I honestly wouldn't doubt it considering how everyone talks about him, then I'm impressed

They didn't though. Fowler didn't play a single NHL game when he was 18. Ekblad came close, but moving the bar lower so more guys clear it isn't fooling anyone into thinking what Dahlin is doing isn't special. Obviously, you're a big fan of Pettersson, as well you should be because he's a terrific young center. But slashing Dahlin's tires doesn't put any more air in his.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall

Neither Fowler, nor Ekblad did it. Again, if Dahlin hits 40 it will be literally the third time in History that an 18 year old D man has hit 40 points. If this doesn't meet your definition of phenominal or even impressive then I think you need to take a step back and re-examine your biases.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Neither Fowler, nor Ekblad did it. Again, if Dahlin hits 40 it will be literally the third time in History that an 18 year old D man has hit 40 points. If this doesn't meet your definition of phenominal or even impressive then I think you need to take a step back and re-examine your biases.

0.00 % chance that Dahlin hits 40 points this season.

pettersson

Oct 8, 2018
Yeah they did. Both of those guys had 18 year old seasons and put up 39 and 40 points

pettersson

Oct 8, 2018
They didn't though. Fowler didn't play a single NHL game when he was 18. Ekblad came close, but moving the bar lower so more guys clear it isn't fooling anyone into thinking what Dahlin is doing isn't special. Obviously, you're a big fan of Pettersson, as well you should be because he's a terrific young center. But slashing Dahlin's tires doesn't put any more air in his.
Fowler turned 19 in Dec. So I guess if you want to be really specific, sure... Lmao. Ekblad had 39. I don't think I'm the one moving the bar here. Is one point off, or 4 months as a 19 yr old a huge difference here.

Reactions: CascadiaPuck

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
It would be fitting to see BUF and VAN face off against each other in the SCF sometime in the next few years to settle this question.

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
Dahlin is insanely skilled. He does things with the puck I didn't think were possible, and he does them so effortlessly. The kid's 18 and dangles right through people and posting a .5 PPG. Exceptional skater.

That said, Petterson is ridiculously talented as well and I bias towards forward so I'd probably pick him for Calder if I was fully impartial. But Dahlin's just on another level, I would build around him 100/100 times over Petterson, even if they both weren't on my team. The kid's a prodigy.

Dahlin makes mistakes defensively as expected as he's adapting, but he doesn't turn 19 for like half a year still and learns from them at an impressive rate.

His defense/offense IQ is Gretzky'esque, it's almost frightening to think how good he might be at 26.

pettersson

Oct 8, 2018
Ekblad was literally 1 point off. Also, do you know how many d-men come into the league as an 18 yr old and stay an 18 yr old for the season.. I guess you have to also get lucky with birthday if we are being anal here. 23 players in history have played more than half a season (41 games).. more than 70? 10. Since 2000.. 2.

Again, I am not even bashing dahlin. I like him, but people are overeacting on this 18 yr old age thing.

Edit: I'm also going to watch the Habs/Sabres game just for Dahlin.

Last edited:

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
i won't vote this... it's WAY too early, 2 different position, 2 different draft.

Im in love with Pettersson... but if you put them both of their draft year in the same draft, dahlin goes 1st overall 31 out of 31.

doesn't mean much tho, but my real point is you can't compare a 1 year older Center to a 1 year younger Dman in 2 different draft, at the very least wait for next year to compare how impactful they were in both of their 19 year old season!

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
I'm a Canucks fan, but if both reach there highest potential it would be Dahlin. It's so hard to find Dmen like this as compared to centers.

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
1. Heiskanen is 19
2. Heiskanen is only on pace to produce 30 points

So, no, what he's doing is not on par with what Dahlin is achieving as an 18-year-old. Still a damn impressive young defenseman, though.
It's not just about points though. from my (limited I have to admit) viewing, Heiskanen is far better defensively that Dahlin.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Don't care who wins the Calder it's a meaningless trophy. Nobody cares after the year is over.

I'd definitely take dahlin going forward. No slight to Pete but I'm always going for the potential franchise cornerstone defensemen.

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.
As a Canucks fan who is enthralled with Pettersson, it's Dahlin for me. Remarkable start to his career, and as a teenaged defenseman he's just going to get better.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Close but I would take Dahlin for Toronto of course. Both are insanely skilled and smart players, it will be interesting to see how good they become in 3-5 years.

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
Both are going to be elite players in this league for a long time. Dahlin should win this based on hype / position premium. He'll be a guy that's going to play 25min/night and 30min in the playoffs down the road.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad