Petterson or Dahlin?

PTmbp13

Jan 21, 2007
Don't see generational? Dahlin is on pace to score over 40 points as an 18-year-old defenseman. This feat is so unremarkable that it has been accomplished exactly twice in NHL history, once by Phil Housley and once by Bobby Orr. He's also a + possession player logging ~18.5 minutes per game (playing in the top 4, not being sheltered). Kid is going to be scary good in a couple of years.
Yes and that was when there were like 10 teams in the league scoring like crazy. To do what Dahlin does now is a one in a life time to watch. Lidstrom but Lids wasnt so this great this early.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
The argument in favour of Dahlin is entirely based on ifs

Pettersson is the one producinng at an elite level right now and Dahlin just isn’t. Most of Dahlins points have come from being on the ice with Jeff Skinner on a hot streak.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Pettersson has five points and we fire up the old bandwagon again! I'm surprised...
angif-jump-on-the-bandwagon.gif

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
I'm not surprised.

5 points in 13 minutes of ice time is impressive for anyone, let alone a featherweight rookie learning a new position. And not taking into account all the little things he does that don't show in the points total.

But sure, lets instead have a thread to apologize to LouL because the NYI are . . . I dunno, mediocre?

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
Threads like this are so stupid. How can we really compare a D to a forward. If you’re asking fanbases, the ones with depth at forward will want Dahlin and the ones with depth on D will want Pettersson.

Pettersson is very impressive and putting up some great numbers. So to the average fans will go with Pettersson. As they hype him up and put Dahlin down Buffalo fans come over the top trying to explain what makes Dahlin so good outside of pointzzz and unjustly put down Pettersson. Threads like this are made just to put to fanbases against each other. Maybe 20%(I might be trolling a bit with this percentage to piss people off ;))of posters have watched both players and know how to actually judge their play.

One is a 1C in the making and one is a 1D in the making. Both roles are vital in bringing a cup home. Both players will have successful careers. Personally I hope Dahlin has the better career ;) but honestly don’t care. As long as Dahlin plays his role in turning this franchise into a contender and hopefully a Stanley Cup winner I’m happy.

snu22fint

Jun 19, 2016
If I had to choose right now I pick Pettersson. He is pretty much already proven. Dahlin looks legit, but we probably need 1 or 2 more years before we can even start seeing his final form.

pettersson

Oct 8, 2018
Why do Dahlin and Pettersson keep getting compared... Ones a d and ones a forward.
It just doesn't make sense. You can argue which one you'd rather have I guess but it's not a slight on the other player.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Threads like this are so stupid. How can we really compare a D to a forward. If you’re asking fanbases, the ones with depth at forward will want Dahlin and the ones with depth on D will want Pettersson.

Pettersson is very impressive and putting up some great numbers. So to the average fans will go with Pettersson. As they hype him up and put Dahlin down Buffalo fans come over the top trying to explain what makes Dahlin so good outside of pointzzz and unjustly put down Pettersson. Threads like this are made just to put to fanbases against each other. Maybe 20%(I might be trolling a bit with this percentage to piss people off ;))of posters have watched both players and know how to actually judge their play.

One is a 1C in the making and one is a 1D in the making. Both roles are vital in bringing a cup home. Both players will have successful careers. Personally I hope Dahlin has the better career ;) but honestly don’t care. As long as Dahlin plays his role in turning this franchise into a contender and hopefully a Stanley Cup winner I’m happy.
Pretty much sums up my thoughts too and it’s all that really needs to be said!
Best of luck to our expansion cousins in the playoffs this year!
Now give us back Gilbert Perrault for Dale Tallon!
:naughty:

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver

Well said.

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
Dahlin doesn't need to reach that level to be better than Pettersson though. Realistically Dahlins likely going to be a top 5 D in the league minimum, Pettersson long term if things break right is a top 10 pushing top 5 forward in the league.

If you understand the mechanics of skating there are some things he does that have never been seen before at the level he's doing them. Look at how much width and speed he can get cutting on his edges or how fluid his hips are which lets him move in ways others can't. On top of that he looks like he could have an all time elite brain and creativity.
What about Dahlin, though? ;)

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
Did you ever watch Dahlin play in the SHL? What Hughes does now will obviously be toned down a fair bit at the NHL level. I do agree Hughes plays that similar type of style though but I don't think he has near the all around IQ, understanding of off puck movement, or the ability to outthink an opponent the way Dahlin can
Yes, many times. He was not noticeably better than most other dmen.

Pettersson stood out like a sore thumb amongst forwards.

Now, maybe that will change in future but, at this point in time, I take Pettersson easily.

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
What do you think the realistic outcomes for Pettersson and Dahlin are? I think Dahlins likely floor is a top 5/10 defence man in the league, and a ceiling of this generations Bobby Orr(not play style) where he's the Norris shoe in before the puck even drops every year.

For Pettersson I would say his realistic floor is a very good first line forward who can drive a line offensively. In terms of his ceiling I think it is very unrealistic to project him as a consistent top 5 type forward in the league.

So yes long term I think it would be Dahlin by miles that is a better and more impactful player.
Why unrealistic to project Pettersson as a top 5 forward but it easy to do so for Dahlin as a top 5 defenceman? I really think you're chronically overrating Dahlin.

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
Ya but even at his floor you are looking at a player of comparable value to what Pettersson at his ceiling would look like. I do think he is more likely to hit his top ceiling as well though. I'm not trying to say Pettersson isn't or won't be great, would be ridiculous to say otherwise. But barring injury or some other major setback I just don't see a real argument for Petersson being the better player long term.
Codswallop!

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
Dahlin isn't even the best rookie defenceman this year. Heiskenen has been better. Now I don't know why some feel that they can project Dahlin to be generational or a top dman in the game when he matures. Way too early to be concluding this. From what I've seen so far this season, I like Pettersson more long term.
Stop, don't you know Dahlin is the best thing since sliced bread?

Bringing up another rookie defenceman who's played better (so far) than Dahlin is not playing by the rules :teach2:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00