Peterborough Petes 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Well that’s a shocking analysis from you lol oh and 8 Gold Cup selections from Petes from this draft one of the top contributors again for about the last 6yrs so each league reps obviously don’t have your opinion either

if thats the case and im sure it is, whats the breakdown? why are they always middle of the road? does that mean that gold cup invites are not an indicator of top draft success?

i mean you can draft the entire thunder bay kings team and lead the way with 15 kids at the gold cup, but youll never win that way. just curious what you see the issue is, the petes just always seem to be average.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
if thats the case and im sure it is, whats the breakdown? why are they always middle of the road? does that mean that gold cup invites are not an indicator of top draft success?

i mean you can draft the entire thunder bay kings team and lead the way with 15 kids at the gold cup, but youll never win that way. just curious what you see the issue is, the petes just always seem to be average.

Player recruitment is the franchises biggest downfall.

Reactions: Burtsy

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Player recruitment is the franchises biggest downfall.

so is that on the gm? I’ve heard agents don’t trust him and that’s why Cuylle and MacTavish don’t want to go. evidently there’s 3/4 different agents that don’t like Peterborough.

I honestly don’t know enough to say if it’s true or why but it happens enough to make you believe there’s some truth to it

Reactions: Burtsy

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017

Problem was player development no question last coach never put rookies in positions to be successful and be ready in year 2..new coach absolutely does look at Butlers development and Spearing both ready to contribute next year. Petes May likely have 2 2nd round nhl picks at this years draft. I believe with Wilson you’ll see progress in this team.
It WAS the issue prior to this year for agents no development and I would agree! Now I have no idea why the #5 pick has issues he would see top minutes all situations. This one baffles me honestly.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Problem was player development no question last coach never put rookies in positions to be successful and be ready in year 2..new coach absolutely does look at Butlers development and Spearing both ready to contribute next year. Petes May likely have 2 2nd round nhl picks at this years draft. I believe with Wilson you’ll see progress in this team.
It WAS the issue prior to this year for agents no development and I would agree! Now I have no idea why the #5 pick has issues he would see top minutes all situations. This one baffles me honestly.

maybe it’s more then just player development?

Diaero

Nov 29, 2016
maybe it’s more then just player development?

Robertson is gonna be a 1st round NHLer, Jones a 2nd round NHLer. That joins SDA as a 3rd rounder, Gallant as a 4th rounder, Chisholm, Fraser and Kirk who are also NHL drafted. Merk's a 1st round NHLer. Osmanski and Paquette were NHL drafted. This team is just rife with NHL talent and scouts eyes all over them.

Sounds like Cuyll's parents are just looking for the path of least resistance where their kid doesn't have to overcome any sort of adversity or face any challenges, after the reports in Windsor have come out. No idea what McTavish is thinking. Could he have a nicer facility in another city? Yeah. It's not like Owen Sound or North Bay or Mississauga is THAT much nicer than PMC. I mean there's some gorgeous arenas in this league with more modern facilities but there's probably 5 that fit into that category. There's teams that have done worse over the last five year stretch than us. There's teams with worse coaches than us. There's teams with more off ice drama than us. There's teams with worse attendance than us.

If McTavish wants to play in the NHL, we can make that happen as well as any team in the league. It might not be as easy as with some other super-franchises like Oshawa/London but if he's good enough, he'll be drafted. That's why I've changed my opinion from we should have just taken the next kid in line that said he'll report, to f*** Mason McTavish. Suit up and play or f*** off. If he doesn't want to play for Peterborough than he can sit out a year or go play in Switzerland and we'll take the 2nd round comp pick, or deal his ass where we choose in January for a star player. We're not a perfect franchise but we're better than this Cuyll/McTavish bullshit. You're a 16 year old kid, prove something before you act like a diva. Everyone says Merkley and his parents are the biggest primadonnas in the league, yet here they are in Peterborough. If it's good enough for a signed, NHL 1st round draft pick, it's good enough for some 16 year old kid.

/rant

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
:huh:
Robertson is gonna be a 1st round NHLer, Jones a 2nd round NHLer. That joins SDA as a 3rd rounder, Gallant as a 4th rounder, Chisholm, Fraser and Kirk who are also NHL drafted. Merk's a 1st round NHLer. Osmanski and Paquette were NHL drafted. This team is just rife with NHL talent and scouts eyes all over them.

Sounds like Cuyll's parents are just looking for the path of least resistance where their kid doesn't have to overcome any sort of adversity or face any challenges, after the reports in Windsor have come out. No idea what McTavish is thinking. Could he have a nicer facility in another city? Yeah. It's not like Owen Sound or North Bay or Mississauga is THAT much nicer than PMC. I mean there's some gorgeous arenas in this league with more modern facilities but there's probably 5 that fit into that category. There's teams that have done worse over the last five year stretch than us. There's teams with worse coaches than us. There's teams with more off ice drama than us. There's teams with worse attendance than us.

If McTavish wants to play in the NHL, we can make that happen as well as any team in the league. It might not be as easy as with some other super-franchises like Oshawa/London but if he's good enough, he'll be drafted. That's why I've changed my opinion from we should have just taken the next kid in line that said he'll report, to **** Mason McTavish. Suit up and play or **** off. If he doesn't want to play for Peterborough than he can sit out a year or go play in Switzerland and we'll take the 2nd round comp pick, or deal his ass where we choose in January for a star player. We're not a perfect franchise but we're better than this Cuyll/McTavish bull****. You're a 16 year old kid, prove something before you act like a diva. Everyone says Merkley and his parents are the biggest primadonnas in the league, yet here they are in Peterborough. If it's good enough for a signed, NHL 1st round draft pick, it's good enough for some 16 year old kid.

/rant

Yeah, he’s really going to come here if his parents come read this thread and see you talking like that.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
If his parents are relying on message boards to make a decision, maybe they should just let his agent and the professionals handle things.
I'm kind of past investing anything in these situations, I just really really really hope the Petes don't trade him this time.

Without the first round pick there's not much benefit and it won't change anything in terms of getting top players to report, if anything it will just encourage more top players to not report and get to a team of their choosing.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

thats why i dont think its a player development issue, theres something else at play here. two different players, two different agencies (and rumour has other agencies say the same thing). i cant think its a development thing, its got to be something else.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
thats why i dont think its a player development issue, theres something else at play here. two different players, two different agencies (and rumour has other agencies say the same thing). i cant think its a development thing, its got to be something else.

The something else is that Oke will take the player he thinks is best rather than the best that will report. Missy had Nizhnikov and Hughes not report in consecutive years; and, Barrie did the same with McBain & (Riechel?)
In this particular case, it would have been foolish to pass on McTavish who was considered much, much better than the next available player.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
The something else is that Oke will take the player he thinks is best. Missy had Nizhnikov and Hughes not report in consecutive years; and, Barrie did the same with McBain & (Riechel?)

rychel is an 94 and mcbain is a 2000, those are not in consecutive years. mississauga knew niz wasnt coming and wanted the picks, it was strategic.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
The something else is that Oke will take the player he thinks is best rather than the best that will report. Missy had Nizhnikov and Hughes not report in consecutive years; and, Barrie did the same with McBain & (Riechel?)
In this particular case, it would have been foolish to pass on McTavish who was considered much, much better than the next available player.

Tortora and McBain

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Tortora and McBain

they were both committed to school and didnt come to the league for years, in mcbain's instance he still hasnt. they didnt aviod barrie, they avioded the league. not the same thing at all.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
It is the same in the sense that teams have selected consecutive players refusing to show 3 out the last 4 drafts. Barrie selected McBain born 2000, Missy Hughes in ‘01, & Petes McTavish in ‘03. It’s relatively common of late; so why make it out to be something is not right with certain Petes personnel being the issue with recruitment? Several players slip down the draft boards every year because teams fear the threats of not reporting, right?

fullsend

Feb 25, 2019
Thanks it was fun!

Attachments

• 4425DC29-BF34-49D7-992A-6713186EC799.png
    4425DC29-BF34-49D7-992A-6713186EC799.png
    236.9 KB · Views: 79
Reactions: Ptbomillsy619

Diaero

Nov 29, 2016

our arena literally falls apart every year and needs to be rebuilt?

we only have one Arbys in the entire city?

our bus station kind of always smells like piss?

too many one-way streets downtown?

our goal celebration song is 15 years old, and just goes "do do do do do do do do" over and over?

we don't have a blimp like Oshawa?

It sounds like you know more than we do. Spill the beans. You're not going to hurt our feelings. We don't have any feelings left.

Reactions: Burtsy and Zebra

Diaero

Nov 29, 2016
our arena literally falls apart every year and needs to be rebuilt?

we only have one Arbys in the entire city?

our bus station kind of always smells like piss?

too many one-way streets downtown?

our goal celebration song is 15 years old, and just goes "do do do do do do do do" over and over?

we don't have a blimp like Oshawa?

It sounds like you know more than we do. Spill the beans. You're not going to hurt our feelings. We don't have any feelings left.

wait, just don't say it's Merkley's fault. We're done with that.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
It is the same in the sense that teams have selected consecutive players refusing to show 3 out the last 4 drafts. Barrie selected McBain born 2000, Missy Hughes in ‘01, & Petes McTavish in ‘03. It’s relatively common of late; so why make it out to be something is not right with certain Petes personnel being the issue with recruitment? Several players slip down the draft boards every year because teams fear the threats of not reporting, right?

Like OHL4Life is saying tho, you can't act like Hughes/McBain and McTavish are the same. If Oshawa, Kitchener, London took Hughes or McBain, they still were not coming. They didn't not want to a play for a certain team, they wanted to go NCAA (or USNTDP in Hughes case). But if Oshawa or Kitchener drafted McTavish, would he come to the OHL next year? Yeah, probably, which was the exact same for Cuylle. That's why they're saying it's an issue with Petes personnel for recruiting. Not to mention no OHL team knew where they'd be picking in this draft during the season, except Mike Oke. He knew the second he traded Cuylle that he'd be picking 5th overall. He should've been living at Lockhart/McTavish/Clarkes houses knowing they'd be the 3/4/5 range guys

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Like OHL4Life is saying tho, you can't act like Hughes/McBain and McTavish are the same. If Oshawa, Kitchener, London took Hughes or McBain, they still were not coming. They didn't not want to a play for a certain team, they wanted to go NCAA (or USNTDP in Hughes case). But if Oshawa or Kitchener drafted McTavish, would he come to the OHL next year? Yeah, probably, which was the exact same for Cuylle. That's why they're saying it's an issue with Petes personnel for recruiting. Not to mention no OHL team knew where they'd be picking in this draft during the season, except Mike Oke. He knew the second he traded Cuylle that he'd be picking 5th overall. He should've been living at Lockhart/McTavish/Clarkes houses knowing they'd be the 3/4/5 range guys

That’s creepy and desperate behaviour.
McTavish, parents, agent all knew well in advance that the Petes were taking the best player available.
McTavish and handlers should have known that the Petes were picking 5th and that Oke would do what he thought best for his team. He could have scored 30 less goals to ensure being picked by a random lower ranked team or signed with a Swiss team prior to the draft
The only thing that matters in this is, Oke no doubt took by far the best player available.

Last edited:

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
That’s creepy and desperate behaviour.
McTavish, parents, agent all knew well in advance that the Petes were taking the best player available.
McTavish and handlers should have known that the Petes were picking 5th and that Oke would do what he thought best for his team. He could have scored 30 less goals to ensure being picked by a random lower ranked team or signed with a Swiss team prior to the draft
The only thing that matters in this is, Oke no doubt took by far the best player available.

you didnt take him literally did you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad