Peterborough Petes 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

03HockeyFan

Mar 5, 2019
This is from an article on how hard it is to make the NHL. Yet parents of some elite midget players think they can manipulate their kid into the NHL by refusing to report to certain teams. The thought process is that by playing on certain franchises it boost your chance of becoming an NHL player. Just a thought.​

A recent examination of all the rosters of the major junior leagues and U.S. colleges from the 1988-89 season gave a stark reminder of just how difficult the jump is from major junior or college to the NHL.
The 94 rosters from that season in the OHL, WHL and QMJHL in junior and the CCHA, WCHA, Hockey East and ECAC had a total of 2,428 players on them, 113 of whom have been or become NHL regulars in the nine years since then.

Interesting data. Would be helpful to see which of those leagues the 113 have come from, and how the count has trended over time. For example, does 30% of that 113 player group come from the OHL, and is that up / down over time?

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Maybe this is the time to change that can still be bitter rivals but a good trade is a good trade to whoever it may be I just don’t see oke waiting till January to deal him he’ll want to know what he’s got to use before the season starts
I don't think you can trade a first round pick until the window open in January. If he doesn't report he will play in a lower teir until then I believe.

Petes1

Oct 26, 2002
Maybe this is the time to change that can still be bitter rivals but a good trade is a good trade to whoever it may be I just don’t see oke waiting till January to deal him he’ll want to know what he’s got to use before the season starts

I think he'll wait, there's no reason not to if there's no compensation picks. Oke has enough draft picks to work with, what he lacks is good young players that he's going to be able to trade for top end guys.

If the Petes can trade McTavish at the deadline for a player, that might be the best route. If not McTavish, Oke will have to offer up Butler/Avon/Spearing at the deadline and I'm sure they would prefer to move someone that's not on the roster.

Newbie Observer

Feb 18, 2019
From Foghorn.....not just McTavish and Petes.....

..reading where Petes #1 is playing hard to get..something about his agent dodging Peterboro….any others not reporting?​
johnston not going to windsor . pinelli agent played games with windsor. harrison agent played games with missy. clarke agent said no to erie and flint clarke grandparents live in barrie. working on more info

Most interesting to me were all the "ncaa commits" stillman, del monte cato sherk (to name some) that teams passed on due to agents saying "absolutely not coming to ohl" and ended up going to teams that made sense (dad coach, proximity to home etc)

Reactions: LDN

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
E2DFA447-D731-40FA-BB00-5321E1E01E86.png
This is the comment section of McTavish’s teammate and apparently good friend Leaver.. Lol

“Swiss league tho”

Reactions: Iloveallsports

Ptbomillsy619

Dec 17, 2017
I don't think you can trade a first round pick until the window open in January. If he doesn't report he will play in a lower teir until then I believe.

You can trade in September if he won’t commit but for picks only

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
If a first round pick is declared defective ( will not report) by the drafting team they can trade him during a window of time in August/September. Usually around training camp dates. Just need someone to be willing to trade for him. What they don't get is a comp first round pick as this would be 2 years in a row, they would get a comp 2nd round pick and I believe that would be the last pick in the second round.

Ptbomillsy619

Dec 17, 2017
I think he'll wait, there's no reason not to if there's no compensation picks. Oke has enough draft picks to work with, what he lacks is good young players that he's going to be able to trade for top end guys.

If the Petes can trade McTavish at the deadline for a player, that might be the best route. If not McTavish, Oke will have to offer up Butler/Avon/Spearing at the deadline and I'm sure they would prefer to move someone that's not on the roster.

From what I’ve seen we would get the 6th pick of the second rnd as compensation
I’m worried that If he does go to Switzerland would he then still have his value in January? Would a team try and get him to come back?

If we can get 3 seconds 3 thirds for him then oke will have something like 10 seconds and almost as many thirds In the next four years to work with I know it’s easier to deal for top players in January when your sending a top pickedrookie back but with all those picks he could use one are 4-6 rnd picked players in a deal with more draft picks Or even a two parter trade him to the team for picks in September then once the season starts another trade for players are way for picks back to them and they already have McTavish

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
From what I’ve seen we would get the 6th pick of the second rnd as compensation
I’m worried that If he does go to Switzerland would he then still have his value in January? Would a team try and get him to come back?

If we can get 3 seconds 3 thirds for him then oke will have something like 10 seconds and almost as many thirds In the next four years to work with I know it’s easier to deal for top players in January when your sending a top pickedrookie back but with all those picks he could use one are 4-6 rnd picked players in a deal with more draft picks Or even a two parter trade him to the team for picks in September then once the season starts another trade for players are way for picks back to them and they already have McTavish

I thought you couldn't get compensation pick 2 years in a row and McTavish was taken with the Cuylle compensation

Petes1

Oct 26, 2002
I thought you couldn't get compensation pick 2 years in a row and McTavish was taken with the Cuylle compensation

OHLInsider tweeted the Petes will get the 6th pick in 2nd round, but someone else posted on here that only applies to Avon if he were to be traded. Who knows.

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
It’s an eye opener reading other teams posts about drafting such guys a Schmidt etc who has a US program and ncaa commit as great picks but Petes fans are ripping them for taking an elite guy with 1 of 2 1st round picks because he may not come lol

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
It’s an eye opener reading other teams posts about drafting such guys a Schmidt etc who has a US program and ncaa commit as great picks but Petes fans are ripping them for taking an elite guy with 1 of 2 1st round picks because he may not come lol

Schmidt was taken 36th overall.
McTavish was taken 5th overall

And Kitchener didn't waste their top 4 pick last year on a guy who wouldn't come. That's what it comes down to.

For the most part you don't see people overly critical of the Bar pick, which is the exact same 2nd round gamble as Schmidt is. But at 5 overall is tough, especially after doing it the year before with #4

Reactions: ptbopete

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017

And Kitchener didn't waste their top 4 pick last year on a guy who wouldn't come. That's what it comes down to.

For the most part you don't see people overly critical of the Bar pick, which is the exact same 2nd round gamble as Schmidt is. But at 5 overall is tough, especially after doing it the year before with #4
Yeah I don’t see the same, last year they took their picks turned it into a few things have assets for some players if they’re in a position to be a winner next year and have a first with Avon a home run if mctavish shows up. He was just so much ahead of another at 6 to me personally I’d do that pick every time and take that chance but maybe I’m on an island with that thinking

Reactions: Zebra and dirty12

Petes1

Oct 26, 2002

Not to mention Kitchener's had Sebrango, Langdon, Vukojevic, Llewellyn, Bracco, Magyar, MacInnis, Opilka among many others recently that were either committed to school or considered hard to get all show up... Tiny bit of a difference between that and the success Peterborough has had.

Kitchener's been a very successful team getting these kids to commit, they've also been a pretty successful team on the ice over the past dozen years.

The Petes have not.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Not to mention Kitchener's had Sebrango, Langdon, Vukojevic, Llewellyn, Bracco, Magyar, MacInnis, Opilka among many others recently that were either committed to school or considered hard to get all show up... Tiny bit of a difference between that and the success Peterborough has had.

Kitchener's been a very successful team getting these kids to commit, they've also been a pretty successful team on the ice over the past dozen years.

The Petes have not.

Kitchener does have a good record of recruiting. Still, when you have a chance to select an elite talent, do it.

Reactions: MoWanchuk1

Diaero

Nov 29, 2016

The Petes have not.

There's definitely something shady going on behind closed doors too for those kind of teams. Just because only Windsor and Niagara have been busted for it before doesn't mean that London and Kitchener operate above board when it comes to incentivizing those families to chose the OHL route after committing to the NCAA. Can't compare the Petes to the track record they have.

At this point we're happy when anyone shows up ha ha. Glad to see Guryev seemed pumped. He's gonna get a good apprenticeship from Fraser before becoming the new fan-favorite.

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017

The Petes have not.
Yup agreed they have. my bottom line is I would have drafted mctavish every time all day long if I was gm too. Imagine the stuff said if petes has passed on him

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
Yeah I don’t see the same, last year they took their picks turned it into a few things have assets for some players if they’re in a position to be a winner next year and have a first with Avon a home run if mctavish shows up. He was just so much ahead of another at 6 to me personally I’d do that pick every time and take that chance but maybe I’m on an island with that thinking
I guess we'd be on that island together because I think the exact same thing. There was such a drop off after McTavish, and everybody was saying that, so why not take a run at him. He seems less opposed than Cuylle did last year so I'm looking at it positively and still am expecting him to be wearing the maroon and white come September

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
I guess we'd be on that island together because I think the exact same thing. There was such a drop off after McTavish, and everybody was saying that, so why not take a run at him. He seems less opposed than Cuylle did last year so I'm looking at it positively and still am expecting him to be wearing the maroon and white come September
Well bring the beer I’ll get the steaks let’s wait it out!

Diaero

Nov 29, 2016
Petes select Ellis Rickwood in the U-18 draft. The draft page says he's 5'8, 150lbs, his EliteProspects page says 5'11, 180lbs. Put up a shit ton of points for Brantford AAA. That is all the facts I can tell you about Ellis Rickwood, other than his name sounds like a real estate agent.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014

I’ve heard some pretty good things about this Rickwood kid. I’d imagine he’s got a solid shot at grabbing one of the depth forward spots to start the year...

Locks - Gallant*, Kirk, Robertson, SDA, Butler, Grondin, Little, Hinz, Avon, Denault, McTavish*, Cermak* (12)

Battling for spot - Hutton, Rickwood, J.Kirk, Patey, T.Robertson

You’d think they’ll take 14.

Last edited:

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017

I’ve heard some pretty good things about this Rickwood kid. I’d imagine he’s got a solid shot at grabbing one of the depth forward spots to start the year...

Locks - Gallant*, Kirk, Robertson, SDA, Butler, Grondin, Little, Hinz, Avon, Denault, McTavish*, Cermak* (12)

Battling for spot - Hutton, Rickwood, J.Kirk, Patey, T.Robertson

You’d think they’ll take 14.

Keegan McMullen a factor with his big playoff performance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad