Peterborough Petes 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Can't see the Pete's taking anyone who would not commit. They don't get a consolation pick this year if they cannot convince that player to report. High risk for the Pete's no matter who they pick.

FWIW, I’ve told they will select him regardless.

Diaero

Nov 29, 2016
If two top five picks in a row won't report to Peterborough, we need to assess if we even belong in this league with the way we're running things with our board and the city-owned halfassery.

We're still closer to a decade away from a new arena in Peterborough, and if players won't report (and I really don't blame them when they could be playing in an arena like Oshawa's, with modern facilities and amenities) we won't make it to the new arena as a viable organization.

Take whatever kid will report, even if he's not even a top ten prospect. If I were McTavish and Windsor/Sarnia/Hamilton are drafting after Peterborough, I'd tell them to not pick me too.

Reactions: WillardJFredricks

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
If two top five picks in a row won't report to Peterborough, we need to assess if we even belong in this league with the way we're running things with our board and the city-owned halfassery.

We're still closer to a decade away from a new arena in Peterborough, and if players won't report (and I really don't blame them when they could be playing in an arena like Oshawa's, with modern facilities and amenities) we won't make it to the new arena as a viable organization.

Take whatever kid will report, even if he's not even a top ten prospect. If I were McTavish and Windsor/Sarnia/Hamilton are drafting after Peterborough, I'd tell them to not pick me too.

its intersting that this seems to be an issue every year in peterborough. is it the gm or what?

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
I feel for you guys....this league is a mess. Games are boring , no hitting, no fighting, refereeing sucks big time, expensive tickets, players can refuse to come as drafted.......is there any reason to watch this crap???

Reactions: PenaltyBoxPetesFan

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
its intersting that this seems to be an issue every year in peterborough. is it the gm or what?

I would think it's the consistent lack of success since 2006 (a couple of good playoffs in that stretch, but not much) combined with the outdated rink and facilities that can't match up with the other teams. I believe even Sudbury has a new arena actually in the works, whereas in Peterborough it'll be a minimum of 5 years before there is a chance of having something new ready to use. Any prospect who were to get a tour of Oshawa's arena and then come to the Memorial Centre would be very unimpressed, I would think.

Petes1

Oct 26, 2002

Everything gets blamed except him it seems. He's the one responsible for convincing kids to come here. After selecting Cuylle last year, he should have been the hardest working person in hockey to make sure it didn't happen again.

The problem has gotten progressively worse under Oke, maybe it's because the Petes have only put together one competitive team in the past 12 years, maybe it is the arena, maybe it is financial, but why Mike Oke is about to enter his 7th year as GM is something I will never understand.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Everything gets blamed except him it seems. He's the one responsible for convincing kids to come here. After selecting Cuylle last year, he should have been the hardest working person in hockey to make sure it didn't happen again.

The problem has gotten progressively worse under Oke, maybe it's because the Petes have only put together one competitive team in the past 12 years, maybe it is the arena, maybe it is financial, but why Mike Oke is about to enter his 7th year as GM is something I will never understand.

correct meif im wrong, but wasnt jeff twohey let go after missing the playoffs once? he had a better level of results when he was let go vs oake now?

if everyone is saying the record and lack of success is a factor in guys not reporting, isnt that on the manager?

Reactions: PenaltyBoxPetesFan

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Rumours floating around about Petes having trouble with getting guys to report again
That's weird.......someone should tell the players that they won't actually have to report to Peterborough until Halloween when they will finally be able to play a home game!:laugh:

Seriously though.......ten or eleven 2000s returning puts the Petes in a position to compete for top spot in the East. Still many questions heading into off-season and into next year.....
  • Will Gallant be back? For his sake, I hope he can sign a pro contract and move on but, from a selfish standpoint, I hope he's back. He's difficult to replace.
  • Will Jones take another step forward and become a more consistent version of his best self
  • Where will JPJ play? I believe he has to be in the conversation for most improved player (aside from Jones). His versatility is a plus, but something needs to happen to solidify the Petes' back end.
  • Can SDA regain some mojo? That would certainly make the Petes' offense and PP more dangerous......which will be a must next season.
  • How many Petes' draft picks on Saturday will be in games for the Petes this year?
  • Will the Petes try to upgrade Cermak in the Import draft?
  • Will Tye Austin play more regularly to help rest Jones and develop Austin further.......he was much improved in the 2nd half as well
  • Will Oke target another OA early......Niagara will be having a fire sale after this year? He likely waits (and those selling will want to wait) so he can trade one of his 1st round picks to get the best return.
  • Assuming Gallant and Fraser return as OA's,
    • do they target a player like Paquette for their 3rd OA to help solidify the back end?
    • with their OA quota met, do they aim for non-OA players who will be one and done to add more firepower up front.....Akil Thomas, Ty Dellandrea, Arthur Kaliyev....
  • Oke will obviously be adding at least two guys next season......who becomes the odd-men out?
First step is the draft. Looking forward to seeing who they choose.

Diaero

Nov 29, 2016
It’s easy to shit on Oke because he hasn’t accomplished anything in almost a decade but i truly dont think anyone could with our current operational model. Oke makes some great trades, pretty consistently. I’m sure you could point out one or two duds but for the most part we’ve acquired some good players via trade and got some good assets when we’re selling. Keeping in mind that he’s consistently handcuffed because players won’t report. When he took over we were basically a farm team for London or Windsor or Kitchener, we’d develop a top talent like Watson or Puempel or Koekkoek and when they got good we’d sell them for pennies on the dollar. Oke changed that culture to a degree, last player I can think of wanting out was Lizotte, and even then we won that trade by a mile.

Is Oke really to blame for the PMC being the worst arena in the league, and the Petes running a shoestring budget? Is it his fault that no one on multiple city councils over the years have given a damn about the Petes? We’re a city more obsessed with a phantom north south traffic problem that is going into its 7th decade of being debated with nothing actually being done about it. There’s nothing progressive about this city when other similar sized cities saw the need for more modern infrastructure. I can’t blame Oke for that.

He plays the hand he’s dealt even though he and everyone at the table knows his hand sucks. I’ve got issues with him, but considering the impossible task he has, I can’t pin this shit on him.

Newbie Observer

Feb 18, 2019
Players refusing to report over the year - Tippet, Valardi, McLeod, Domi, Mete, Lessio, Werek, Lindros. Mark hunter in 79 to KW. These are just a few, agents try to dictate where they want their kid to play based on amount of ice time they see them getting. They dont care about arenas and all that other stuff. It is about ice time and getting their kid drafted to the nhl.

Petes1

Oct 26, 2002
A different GM will target different players in trade. A different GM will draft different players. A different GM will go after different players who are free agents. A different GM will build a team entirely different.

So yes, I do think the GM makes a difference.

Maybe Mike Oke doesn't make a good first impression on families.

There's literally dozens of ways a different GM, who thinks different, views players differently will have an impact.

How about not punting a 1st and 3rd round pick the year you miss the playoffs. We should be looking forward to that 3rd round pick being apart of our roster next year, instead we don't have any prospects from last years draft that look like they will make it. If Jack Bar doesn't show up, that was one of the dumbest things I've ever seen someone do.

In 3 off seasons, Dave Reid acquired Andrew Yogan, Brett Findlay, Francis Menard, Kalle Ekelund and Mike Morrison. In 6 off season, Mike Oke has acquired NO ONE. I realize Dave Reid was awful, so were his teams, but how can one GM acquire 5 players who were all upgrades to his roster in 3 years, yet another guy can't acquire anyone in 6 years? You're going to tell me that doesn't make a difference? It's the arena's fault?

Owen Sound has put up 9 straight seasons of .500+ hockey in a tougher conference. I know the situations aren't the same. But it's a small community with an older building that isn't a top destination.

Lots of good hockey players are still willing to play in Peterborough despite an old arena.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
A different GM will target different players in trade. A different GM will draft different players. A different GM will go after different players who are free agents. A different GM will build a team entirely different.

There's literally dozens of ways a different GM, who thinks different, views players differently will have an impact.

How about not punting a 1st and 3rd round pick the year you miss the playoffs. We should be looking forward to that 3rd round pick being apart of our roster next year, instead we don't have any prospects from last years draft that look like they will make it. If Jack Bar doesn't show up, that was one of the dumbest things I've ever seen someone do.

In 3 off seasons, Dave Reid acquired Andrew Yogan, Brett Findlay, Francis Menard, Kalle Ekelund and Mike Morrison. In 6 off season, Mike Oke has acquired NO ONE. I realize Dave Reid was awful, so were his teams, but how can one GM acquire 5 players who were all upgrades to his roster in 3 years, yet another guy can't acquire anyone in 6 years? You're going to tell me that doesn't make a difference? It's the arena's fault?

Owen Sound has put up 9 straight seasons of .500+ hockey in a tougher conference. I know the situations aren't the same. But it's a small community with an older building that isn't a top destination.

Lots of good hockey players are still willing to play in Peterborough despite an old arena.

ive heard that, and that agents dont trust him because hes broken some promises. i have no idea if any of it is true, all second hand info.

Newbie Observer

Feb 18, 2019
you have butler (2nd), Austin (2) and spearing (4th) playing fulltime minutes this year. you had a an extra gamble (3rd) and they took it on Barr Dont know why your complaining about last years draft, better than most teams with three fulltime players as 16yr olds and producing londons 1st rnder 0 goals

Reactions: Diaero

Diaero

Nov 29, 2016

You're giving credit to offseason overager pickups like Menard and Yogan but not to Oke for acquiring the likes of Garlent, Merkley, Paquette, Osmanski, Grondin all during the season with multiple years of eligibility. Or getting an actual gamebreaker overager like Korostelev, who trumps all the names you listed.

Butler is a great player from this recent draft class, and the gamble with Cuyll didn't pay off with a player but we have a high pick and lots of draft capital because of that move. If drafting Jack Bar was one of the dumbest things you've ever seen someone do, then I suppose you'd prefer Oke have played it safer and drafted a Clarke, or Maguire, or Webb with a high pick instead? We took a swing at two big players, and they didn't report. Every team (bar London/Windsor/Kitchener, etc) has draft misses on NCAA commitments. It's the nature of the draft and the fog of war with eligibility and commitments agents play. We're a team that drafts well, it's a shame they didn't report but I trust Oke when I hear a name selected at the Priority Draft, that at the very least that's a good player.

Owen Sound has a private owner. You can't look around and say look at how much better they're doing, because literally every team is doing it better than we are because they have a private owner. We have a pocket full of change to run a team and even with a semi full house almost every game this year, I bet they didn't even break even. This limits everything and no other GM in the CHL has as little to work with as Mike Oke.

Petes1

Oct 26, 2002
you have butler (2nd), Austin (2) and spearing (4th) playing fulltime minutes this year. you had a an extra gamble (3rd) and they took it on Barr Dont know why your complaining about last years draft, better than most teams with three fulltime players as 16yr olds and producing londons 1st rnder 0 goals

Pretty simple, the more players you have, the better the chance you have of being a good team.

Like I said, they missed the playoffs and punted 2 of their first 4 picks. That's dumb.

5 of 6 years Oke has finished with more losses then wins. He should be focused on building the best team possible. Punting a 3rd round pick after strategically choosing to do it with your 1st is dumb.

Bad teams shouldn't be wasting good (free) opportunities to get better.

That player would be on the roster for the next year 3-4 years, instead the Petes have nothing to show for it. Dumb.

Petes1

Oct 26, 2002
You're giving credit to offseason overager pickups like Menard and Yogan but not to Oke for acquiring the likes of Garlent, Merkley, Paquette, Osmanski, Grondin all during the season with multiple years of eligibility. Or getting an actual gamebreaker overager like Korostelev, who trumps all the names you listed.

Yes, I specifically said off season trades. It's part of the business. My point is, a different GM went out and found different ways in an attempt to improve the team. A way in which Mike Oke has never done. If Reid can do it, Oke can to.

Oke has finished 5 out of 6 years in the bottom half of the league. I would expect a GM to go out and improve his team over the course of the off-season.

You're acting like a different GM can't do a better job. I'm pointing out one area a previous GM did a significantly better job.

Butler is a great player from this recent draft class, and the gamble with Cuyll didn't pay off with a player but we have a high pick and lots of draft capital because of that move. If drafting Jack Bar was one of the dumbest things you've ever seen someone do, then I suppose you'd prefer Oke have played it safer and drafted a Clarke, or Maguire, or Webb with a high pick instead? We took a swing at two big players, and they didn't report. Every team (bar London/Windsor/Kitchener, etc) has draft misses on NCAA commitments. It's the nature of the draft and the fog of war with eligibility and commitments agents play. We're a team that drafts well, it's a shame they didn't report but I trust Oke when I hear a name selected at the Priority Draft, that at the very least that's a good player.

Never said anything about Butler. Have no problem about Cuylle.

Why are you just picking out the bad picks (Maguire, Webb, Clarke)? Why not the good ones? At least we were able to turn around and trade Webb and Clarke and get something.

The difference is Jack Bar was already committed to Harvard. I don't blame Oke for losing Suda, Cairns, Boyko, Misley etc.. Of course every team has draft misses, but there is a BIG difference between selecting someone that is already committed Vs. uncommitted.

Don't put us on the same level as London/Windsor/Kitchener. It's a significantly bigger deal if Peterborough can't get a kid to report then it is those other teams.

Petes have 1 player from the 2001 draft, 3 players from 2002 (not inc. their 1st). That's not good, regardless of the talent level of those 4.

Owen Sound has a private owner. You can't look around and say look at how much better they're doing, because literally every team is doing it better than we are because they have a private owner. We have a pocket full of change to run a team and even with a semi full house almost every game this year, I bet they didn't even break even. This limits everything and no other GM in the CHL has as little to work with as Mike Oke.

I did say the situations aren't the exact same. There are comparisons though.

Arena can't be the lone thing to blame. If it were, Robertson, Chisholm, Jones and all the other top players willing to come here have been free to ask for a trade at any point in time.

You acknowldge that things got better under Oke from Reid, so why is hard to believe that things could be better under a new GM?

The guys willing to come here seem happy enough playing at the Memorial Center.

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
McTavish might be gone before the Petes get to pick anyway, so it won't matter if he doesn't want to play for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad