Peterborough Petes 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjhound

Oct 17, 2016
Hayton would make any team in the league so much better, but for the Petes, I don't want him because I don't want any of the current Centers to move around or lose time. Outside of Robertson and Kirk, the most consistently effective players so far have been SDA, Gallant, McTavish and Grondin. They're all providing great amounts of their own impact on every game and more than deserve all the ice time they get. Hayton would be a great player to make a playoff run with, but I'm more than happy with the current center makeup and no move should come at their expense
So if Hayton could be had for Avon and Butler/Spearing and picks (say three seconds, two thirds) would you be interested then?

Petesfan8

Dec 18, 2017
So if Hayton could be had for Avon and Butler/Spearing and picks (say three seconds, two thirds) would you be interested then?
You must be kidding. Absolutely not. I wouldn't make a one on one Butler Hayton trade. If he is that good wouldn't Arizona have him in their lineup.

Reactions: Uncle

PuckLife

Feb 26, 2015
Gee, based on the malice on this thread, I'm really surprised Hayton didn't want to play in Peterborough (sarcasm).

The OHL is a developmental league where players have a very short time to prove they have the potential to be NHLers. Your team did not provide good development in 2015/16. Don't blame a kid for making a smart choice for his future - be happy that the Petes have turned things around and now has a much better program to develop players.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
For the record, I’ve been told Hutton is not hurt they’re simply choosing to dress guys like Little and Hinz over him which provide this team with next to nothing.

Reactions: NorthernVoice

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Ben Edwards now skating with Lindsay after being traded for from Brantford... usually wouldn’t be a big deal but with Austins struggles and management now having the ability to watch him closely.... it’s interesting.

jjhound

Oct 17, 2016
LOL. Maybe if you were trading Connor mcdavid with two years service left.
Wow, I am somewhat surprised given how many people considered him the best player in the league in the thread for best player on team/league. He could put you over the top.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
It’s important for everyone to remember (players included) that the team is never as good as they look or as bad as they look. Every game is a learning experience for the players, coaches and GM.

The Sarnia team the Petes faced last night was not the same one they faced on the road awhile ago. Having McGregor (smooth goal going 5 hole on the breakaway) and Rees in the lineup + Hatcher causing problems for the Petes forwards made a huge difference, especially early on. From then on Langevin shut the door.....a well earned win by the Sting.

I loved Grondin’s game last night, great job on the forecheck.

Next up is Missy tomorrow.
Don’t look at the standings or the fact that Missy plays tonight.
Start strong, outwork the Steelheads and get the 2 points.
It’s never enough to just “show up” against any team.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Wow, I am somewhat surprised given how many people considered him the best player in the league in the thread for best player on team/league. He could put you over the top.

Teams rightfully don’t offer up a 2nd line RW in a trade for a rental; so Avon, Butler, & 5(2nds, 3rds) is not happening.
The Knights got McMichael (11th pick), & 2nd, & (conditional 3-2nds & 3rd) for R.Thomas.

Last edited:
Reactions: HockeyPops

jjhound

Oct 17, 2016
Teams rightfully don’t offer up a 2nd line RW in a trade for a rental; so Avon, Butler, & 5(2nds, 3rds) is not happening.
The Knights got McMichael (11th pick), & 2nd, & (conditional 3-2nds & 3rd) for R.Thomas.
You may very well be right. It will be interesting to see what happens if Arizona sends him back.

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
I would be okay with maybe the Avon part because of how many young players the Petes have signed from the recent draft, but I wouldn't be interested if Butler or Spearing had to be a part of the package. I feel like they're both going to be big parts of this season and the Petes will need them. Draft picks are thrown around like there's no tomorrow in this league so I couldn't care less about that part. For the right package I can deal with the Petes giving up a fair sized quantity like that, but if it came at the expense of an important roster player too then I'd have to say there's no deal there. But that's also why I'm not the GM of the Petes lol so we'll have to wait and see

jjhound

Oct 17, 2016
I would be okay with maybe the Avon part because of how many young players the Petes have signed from the recent draft, but I wouldn't be interested if Butler or Spearing had to be a part of the package. I feel like they're both going to be big parts of this season and the Petes will need them. Draft picks are thrown around like there's no tomorrow in this league so I couldn't care less about that part. For the right package I can deal with the Petes giving up a fair sized quantity like that, but if it came at the expense of an important roster player too then I'd have to say there's no deal there. But that's also why I'm not the GM of the Petes lol so we'll have to wait and see
That's fair enough.

Diaero

Nov 29, 2016
you'd have to question if Hayton is motivated for a big Memorial Cup run after getting a taste of the professional life, and presumably a big run on Team Canada if hes returned.

Kaliyev + Robertson would be where I spend my assets.

Reactions: Ptbomillsy619

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
I'd like to see something like

Robertson-SDA-Kirk
McTavish-Gallant-Butler
Hutton-Grondin-T.Robertson
Little-Avon-Denault

Chisholm-Spearing
Paquette-Maier
Wilson-Guryev (likely Spearing here and McNamara with Chisholm when healthy).

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
I'd like to see something like

Robertson-SDA-Kirk
McTavish-Gallant-Butler
Hutton-Grondin-T.Robertson
Little-Avon-Denault

Chisholm-Spearing
Paquette-Maier
Wilson-Guryev (likely Spearing here and McNamara with Chisholm when healthy).

I like this lineup a lot

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
So, the Petes will likely be targeting Kaliyev or Thomas.
Last year Saginaw made two separate trades for Tippett and McLeod.
IMO the prices for Kaliyev and Thomas should be comparable.

For Owen Tippett
Aidan Prueter (drafted #24 overall) + two 2nds, two 3rds, 2 7ths

For Ryan McLeod:
Duncan Penman (drafted #25 overall) + one 2nd, three 3rds + one 2nd (conditional on OA year)

Here's my guess at a possible package for Kaliyev/Thomas.......
JR Avon + PBO 2nd 2020, SAR 2nd 2020, SAR 3rd 2022, PBO 5th 2023
+ (*BAR 2nd 2022, *WSR 3rd 2023 both conditional on playing in OHL next year)

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Kaliyev as an 01 should demand more.
I understand what you are saying but the 2nds that were dealt to Missy from Saginaw were all further in the future. Two of these 2nds the Petes are dealing are next year....that’s like gold when a team is trying to rebuild......it will speed up the process. More conditional picks can be added in case he returns next year.

Reactions: dirty12

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
As a 33 overall NHL pick, there us a near 100% chance he is back next year. Hamilton will want conditionals for his OA year and will want more unconditionals for a near guaranteed 2 years of service. He hasn't even signed an elc yet.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Especially to a team in the division.

Their asking price will be huge, they have no reason to move him this year unless they get exactly what they want.

There is reason, possible early graduation. Kaliyev scored 30 times as a rookie, 50 & doubled pt total in his draft year; and, he looks like an easy 60 goal scorer on a pretty bad team in his 3rd OHL season.
If perceived lack of overall effort is real, how motivated can the kid be for a fourth OHL season?

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
In the past deals like this would include more picks but they would be further in the future......now teams can’t deal picks that far in the future.
The difference in a deal now will be less picks but picks in the nearer future.
My estimate may be off.....but not that far off. If I am Hamilton I’m focussing on getting those two 2nds in the next draft that the Petes have. No other team presently has three 2nd round picks in the 2020 draft. I think that puts the Petes in a good position for deadline deals.

Reactions: dirty12
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad