Peterborough Petes 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
There is reason, possible early graduation. Kaliyev scored 30 times as a rookie, 50 & doubled pt total in his draft year; and, he looks like an easy 60 goal scorer on a pretty bad team in his 3rd OHL season.
If perceived lack of overall effort is real, how motivated can the kid be for a fourth OHL season?

Theres no chance he makes the NHL next year. Hes a below average defender in the OHL. That doesnt play in the O. He wasnt even a first round pick.

Cant see HAM moving him unless it's for something crazy like McTavish+. Moving him would also greatly affect Jenik and Morrison etc and just doesnt make sense

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Cant see HAM moving him unless it's for something crazy like McTavish+. Moving him would also greatly affect Jenik and Morrison etc and just doesnt make sense

If that’s the case, then the Petes will be looking at Thomas in Niagara and Niagara will excited to get those two 2nds in 2020.
McTavish isn’t going anywhere

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Here's my guess at a possible package for Kaliyev/Thomas.......

JR Avon + PBO 2nd 2020, SAR 2nd 2020, SAR 3rd 2022, PBO 5th 2023
+ (*BAR 2nd 2022, *WSR 3rd 2023 both conditional on playing in OHL next year)
Lets look at it this way..any team that acquires Kaliyev this season can turn around and sell him next season for the price you suggest. So how much is Kaliyev worth for his services for the rest of this season? Then add that to your offer.

Edit: typos

Last edited:
Reactions: dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Lets look at it this way..any team that acquires Kaliyev this season can turn around and sell him next season fir the price you suggest. So how much us Kaliyev worth for his services fir the rest of this season? Then add that to your offer.

In conditions though, don’t want a deal like the Konecny one. R.Thomas is a fine example of good for both teams.

Reactions: Bra Wavers

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Theres no chance he makes the NHL next year. Hes a below average defender in the OHL. That doesnt play in the O. He wasnt even a first round pick.

If he is among the BPA, he is an early graduation risk. If he is not, he does not warrant the McTavish plus picks ransom you suggest

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
Is it just me being picky, or does it seem like Butler just hasn't given much of a sh*t so far this season? His play style last season always made me think of Brendan Gallagher (with a little more height of course) but this year he's just seemed a little bit uninterested to me

Snipes 29

Dec 1, 2013
Yeah I don't understand why they ever broke that line up.

I have to say I'm very impressed by Maier. Really surprising NB let him go.
agree he s solid plays a simple yet affective game , shows poise, no panic and no bad penalties great addition! What was NB thinking?

Uncle

Jun 26, 2017
agree he s solid plays a simple yet affective game , shows poise, no panic and no bad penalties great addition! What was NB thinking?
NB posters gave their assessments of Maier here when Petes picked him up, all were accurate of the player in NB. Seems as though all players look worse than they are in NB, maybe (for sure) has something to do with the dinosaur of a coach.

Ptbomillsy619

Dec 17, 2017
Well that was fun. Welcome to ptbo hudson Wilson dropping the gloves after the dirty hit on robbie team guy as we’ve heard Big road trip next weekend let’s keep that going!

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
A damn messy game that turned when Whittaker cross-checked 16 year old Avon in the ribs when Avon didn't have the puck. Whittaker was paying Avon back for a hack Avon laid on him seconds earlier. The Whittaker penalty resulted in a 5 minute penalty and three PP goals (!) by the Petes. Up until Whittaker's penalty this was a close game and in fact the Petes were down a goal.

When N. Robertson scored his hat trick goal making it 7-2 a Steelhead cross-checked him and that resulted in an old-school line brawl in which guys who were fighting didn't get penalties. It was weird.

I can't say enough about the play of Grondin this year. At times he is the best player on the ice. I mean if he could finish and score some goals he would be an NHL pick. Right now he is a character player and a key ingredient going forward.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Is it just me being picky, or does it seem like Butler just hasn't given much of a sh*t so far this season? His play style last season always made me think of Brendan Gallagher (with a little more height of course) but this year he's just seemed a little bit uninterested to me
Butler really does seem to be fighting it out there and it seems to be bothering him.
With the emergence of McTavish, who is able to drive a line without top end line mates IMO, does Butler become a possible trade piece?

Reactions: Bag Headed Hab Fan

Diaero

Nov 29, 2016
Butler really does seem to be fighting it out there and it seems to be bothering him.
With the emergence of McTavish, who is able to drive a line without top end line mates IMO, does Butler become a possible trade piece?

No.

He's not a lost cause. He's a tremendous asset to this team. Picture the post-season, we're facing Oshawa or someone like that, and yeah Butler isn't scoring a goal per game, but he's laying hits, his reach is breaking up plays. He's grinding down the opponents because he's a man in a teenage body.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
No.

He's not a lost cause. He's a tremendous asset to this team. Picture the post-season, we're facing Oshawa or someone like that, and yeah Butler isn't scoring a goal per game, but he's laying hits, his reach is breaking up plays. He's grinding down the opponents because he's a man in a teenage body.
I think his Unsportsmanlike Conduct penalty late in the game, when he threw a little fit after the tripping call against him, was an indication of how frustrated he is. Spearing and Butler were the only two Petes not to record a point on the 10 goals.
Call it a sophomore slump or draft-year-itis but that has to bother him.
I like Butler and what he brings as a player. I really hope he gets back on track, but right now he is not playing like a top 6.

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
Butler is fine and a key piece of the Petes' future. Trading Butler and picks for an older sniper might be a mistake when you already have a 17 year old sniper in the making. I get it that you have to trade good players for a run and all Mem Cup teams do it , I just wouldn't want to be the guy (Oke) who has to put up players for bait. I'd be more inclined to work in practice on getting guys like Butler, Hinz or Grondin to score more then trade them away.

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
I want to make it clear that my post last night about Butler wasn't a suggestion to trade him. It was just about how he has looked uninterested the last couple of weeks. He's the type of player that a team needs to win in the playoffs, as alluded to in one of the above posts

Reactions: Ptbomillsy619

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Butler is fine and a key piece of the Petes' future. Trading Butler and picks for an older sniper might be a mistake when you already have a 17 year old sniper in the making. I get it that you have to trade good players for a run and all Mem Cup teams do it , I just wouldn't want to be the guy (Oke) who has to put up players for bait. I'd be more inclined to work in practice on getting guys like Butler, Hinz or Grondin to score more then trade them away.

Hinz or Grondin aren't going anywhere.......they are key pieces on this team.
Grondin is a beast and will be an awesome OA for the Petes next season IMO
Hinz is a jack-of-all trades - PK, PP, a good contributor on any line he is put on.

Reactions: dirty12

Petesfan8

Dec 18, 2017

Butler is a keeper. A ton of talent that is just going through a dry spell right now, this happens to players at all levels and he will get through it.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Hinz or Grondin aren't going anywhere.......they are key pieces on this team.
Grondin is a beast and will be an awesome OA for the Petes next season IMO
Hinz is a jack-of-all trades - PK, PP, a good contributor on any line he is put on.
Hinz kills penalties? And I'd say it's debatable whether he should be on PP2. Coaches sure seem to love him though.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
I'm hearing that all of the shenanigans after Robertson's SH hat-trick goal against Missy will result in no further discipline for anyone due to everything being mishandled by the officials.......so that's a good thing.

Reactions: Hockey Stick

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
I'm hearing that all of the shenanigans after Robertson's SH hat-trick goal against Missy will result in no further discipline for anyone due to everything being mishandled by the officials.......so that's a good thing.
Thank goodness. I was getting a little anxious with SDA looking like he was shoving the lineman that was holding onto him

Reactions: NorthernVoice
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad