Peterborough Petes 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Question though (as a Leafs fan), is Robertson usually so high risk/high reward or was tonight just him trying to do too much with no SDA? It's clear he's dangerous whenever he has the puck but is he normally that loose with the puck?
In the offensive zone he can be pretty high risk/high reward but obviously most games this year the reward has been worth it.

In the neutral zone, him and SDA have such solid chemistry and really play off each other, with SDA usually being the primary puck carrier, so that's impacted more with Der-Arguchintsev not in the lineup.

Reactions: Bra Wavers

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
In the offensive zone he can be pretty high risk/high reward but obviously most games this year the reward has been worth it.

In the neutral zone, him and SDA have such solid chemistry and really play off each other, with SDA usually being the primary puck carrier, so that's impacted more with Der-Arguchintsev not in the lineup.

Wonder if the high risk part will cause him to not get picked for the USA team. Seems like Canada usually leans that way and opt for more safe players, especially younger ones. Not sure how the US feels about that though. Looking at his #s it's clear that whatever he's doing is working

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
That was another real fun game to watch. This team is really legit and they keep putting on great shows. The defence was the real big question mark for me coming into this year and they have been awesome through the first chunk of the season. I cant wait for the other 7 oshawa matchups this year, exciting season for sure

Diaero

Nov 29, 2016
if Barrie ever started to slip up and wanted to sell, I'd love to acquire a quiet, physical kind of defenseman like Mathew Hil.

Reactions: ptbopete

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
if Barrie ever started to slip up and wanted to sell, I'd love to acquire a quiet, physical kind of defenseman like Mathew Hil.
I was thinking the same thing that we should add a reliable defenseman. I am a bit worried about back-up goaltending but I'm sure everyone is concerned. I feel like Austin will regain his mojo. Confidence can improve play and he just needs a good game under his belt. Otherwise the Petes are looking very good.

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
Is Hutton injured? You'd think 4 points in 5 games would have gotten him into the lineup with SDA out.[/QUOTE]

Has the team said anything about Hutton?

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Is Hutton injured? You'd think 4 points in 5 games would have gotten him into the lineup with SDA out.

Has the team said anything about Hutton?[/QUOTE]

I’d hope he is hurt... otherwise playing McMullen and Little over him is ridiculous.

Reactions: Petes1

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
Has the team said anything about Hutton?

I’d hope he is hurt... otherwise playing McMullen and Little over him is ridiculous.[/QUOTE]
I like Little lately as he has a physical presence we need. Has hands of stone though when shooting. Hard not to agree with wanting Hutton to see more play. Avon has improved over the course of the year because he's playing as has T Robertson. Give Hutton equal time.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Food for thought:

could Peterborough be the team that Sarnia claimed Myskiw for? He’s an OA goalie with good stats from the W and apparently Sarnia claimed him to trade him. Could be your starting goalie for the month that Jones is gone then trade him or release him at the OA deadline and pick up a diff OA? That’d be right around when Jones comes back

Reactions: Ptbomillsy619

Ptbomillsy619

Dec 17, 2017
Food for thought:

could Peterborough be the team that Sarnia claimed Myskiw for? He’s an OA goalie with good stats from the W and apparently Sarnia claimed him to trade him. Could be your starting goalie for the month that Jones is gone then trade him or release him at the OA deadline and pick up a diff OA? That’d be right around when Jones comes back

Could be a plan for oke if the price is right but why wouldn’t he have just claimed him himself? No idea how this works claiming from another league. if he’s trading for goalie Id rather a non OA to back up when jones is back if there trading for a goalie it’s cause they’ve lost confidence in Austin Either way wouldn’t be a bad idea if the price tag is cheap enough cause we’d be realeasing him for another OA 100 percent

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Could be a plan for oke if the price is right but why wouldn’t he have just claimed him himself? No idea how this works claiming from another league. if he’s trading for goalie Id rather a non OA to back up when jones is back if there trading for a goalie it’s cause they’ve lost confidence in Austin Either way wouldn’t be a bad idea if the price tag is cheap enough cause we’d be realeasing him for another OA 100 percent

it goes in reverse order of the standings. So Sarnia had first crack at him. London would’ve gotten 5th

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Austin will be starting against Sarnia so he has an opportunity to quiet the concerns. He understands the importance of the game. I expect he’ll be ready

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
The Petes have picked up two solid overage defenders in Paquette and now Wilson. Add that to Mair, Chisholm, Parker Jones, McMamara, Spearing and then 6'3 rookie Guryev. Thats a big D core.

WJ

Reactions: NorthernVoice

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
I'll admit I'm a bit torn on going with Gallant, Paquette, Wilson as the three OAs. All three seems like they're cut from a similar cloth. Solid players, great in the room, very responsible defensively and can chip in some offense at times. A flashy add like Gareffa would have been fun but it gets back to the discussion we had about defense being the priority position and the caliber of OA available there not being as high as it up front.

If McNamara is out for a while, the need to add a guy gets some more urgency and the cost is low enough it certainly doesn't limit making more additions later on.

It also makes sense from the idea of having the best goalie in the league so surrounding him with the best guys possible in the defensive zone and becoming one of the best goal prevention teams in the league.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
I'll admit I'm a bit torn on going with Gallant, Paquette, Wilson as the three OAs. All three seems like they're cut from a similar cloth. Solid players, great in the room, very responsible defensively and can chip in some offense at times. A flashy add like Gareffa would have been fun but it gets back to the discussion we had about defense being the priority position and the caliber of OA available there not being as high as it up front.

If McNamara is out for a while, the need to add a guy gets some more urgency and the cost is low enough it certainly doesn't limit making more additions later on.

It also makes sense from the idea of having the best goalie in the league so surrounding him with the best guys possible in the defensive zone and becoming one of the best goal prevention teams in the league.
This defence will be incredibly valuable come playoffs. Would of taken Wilson over Gaffarra all day long. The Petes already have some very strong forwards adding two solid pieces on the backend along with the number 1 goalie and this team will not be beat often this year. The experience on the backend is so valuable. Good on the Petes for not wasting time and adding to the line up. Wish my Wolves would add some pieces. Slow man on the switch finishes last. Supply and demand will increase the prices. And it appears the longer Sudbury waits as in the deadline deals the more Papineau will be forced to give up.

WJ

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Kudos to Mike Oke for his patience in acquiring his third OA!

Wilson to the Petes in exchange for 4th round pick in 2022 (LDN)

Especially when you compare this deal to Mississauga's deal for Hayden Davis in the summer
They picked up Davis from Saginaw in exchange for

• 3rd round pick in 2024 (KIT),
  • 4th round pick in 2020 (PBO),
  • 5th round pick in 2024
......and now Davis has left the team to go to school, after playing only 10 games. o_O

I like the addition of Wilson. I'm expecting that this will reduce the SOG against per game as well. A veteran D who should be a mentor for Spearing as well.....they seem to be cut from the same mold.

Now that the OA's and defense seem to be squared away, we can focus on an elite forward.
Hayton (C) (SSM)?
Thomas (C) (NIA)?
Kaliyev (LW) (HAM)?
Hillis (C) (GUE)?
Can't see this happening until the deadline.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Kudos to Mike Oke for his patience in acquiring his third OA!

Wilson to the Petes in exchange for 4th round pick in 2022 (LDN)

Especially when you compare this deal to Mississauga's deal for Hayden Davis in the summer
They picked up Davis from Saginaw in exchange for

• 3rd round pick in 2024 (KIT),
  • 4th round pick in 2020 (PBO),
  • 5th round pick in 2024
......and now Davis has left the team to go to school, after playing only 10 games. o_O

I like the addition of Wilson. I'm expecting that this will reduce the SOG against per game as well. A veteran D who should be a mentor for Spearing as well.....they seem to be cut from the same mold.

Now that the OA's and defense seem to be squared away, we can focus on an elite forward.
Hayton (C) (SSM)?
Thomas (C) (NIA)?
Kaliyev (LW) (HAM)?
Hillis (C) (GUE)?
Can't see this happening until the deadline.

Set very nicely now to make the bigger splash at the deadline. Bravo to the Petes management.

WJ

Ptbomillsy619

Dec 17, 2017
Come trade deadline I’d love for this to be the look for the lines that top line chemistry will roll. Sda could have 70 assists on the year easy feeding those two Avon and picks goes to Hamilton I think he’s the one we move Mctavish I hope is in maroon and white for years to come. He’ll win rookie of the year this year IMO and I see JPJ getting traded maybe just for a cpl picks

Robertson SDA kaliyev
Mctavish gallant Kirk
Hutton grondin butler
Denault Hinz T Robertson/little

Chisholm Wilson
Paugette Maier
Macnamara spearing

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
Wow Oke rescues Maier thrown away by North Bay has 9pts in 12gms adds Paquette and now Wilson chooses Petes as to where he wanted to go for only a 4th what a steal by Oke!! Very big improvement in the D and great mentors for young guys Spearing Guryev and at practice, Kavanaugh!! Things are shaping up well, well done Mr Oke!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad