Peterborough Petes 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Depth test tonight?
SDA out for 2 games
McNamara hurt near end of the game....will he be OK to play?

btw......kudos to Jacob Paquette on the PK for blocking a Kaliyev one-timer blast and having the courage to attempt to block another one even after that first one stung him

I liked the new lines......I thought they worked well and will get better with more time together.
Tucker Robertson will be a good player in this league.......he is already does a great job of pressuring the puck, forcing turnovers and winning puck battles.

Hutton in for SDA?
Do you play Hutton with Robertson and Kirk?
I guess we'll see........my guess:

Kirk Gallant NRob
Little Grondin Hinz
Avon McTavish Butler
Denault Hutton Robertson

I'm worried about the D.......hope Guryev can eat up some EVEN minutes if he is in for McNamara tonight
Hoping for a strong outing from Austin

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Tag Bertuzzi and Semyon Der-Arguchintsev both got nailed 2 games for their fights last night.

Diaero

Nov 29, 2016
It's a pretty stupid rule. Especially during a scrum like that at the end of the game where everyone is shoving and punching and the refs can't control the action. All a player needs to do to get a star player suspended is grab him and start throwing punches. That player either eats a flurry of punches to avoid getting suspended or defend themselves. SDA wasn't innocent by any means but it was pretty clear who the more comfortable physical guy is in that exchange between SDA and Bertuzzi was. And until Bertuzzi escalated, their exchange was no different than the other four tussles happening in the same area. Denault threw more "punches" than SDA did, and his exchange was closer to a "fight" than SDA/Bertuzzi.

There needs to be some context instead of a blanket rule. This is like those shitty school no-exception rules where both kids get suspended even if one was the bully and one was trying to defend himself.

Petesfan8

Dec 18, 2017
It's Jones again

I am trying to listen to the game on 90.5 but it is very difficult to determine the Petes lines as he doesn't give much pertinent information. Who is playing with Kirk and Robertson, and who is with McTavish and Butler. I gather Gallant, Hinz and Little make up one line. I am confused, more info and less senseless chatter would be a positive step. He also doesn't name the 5 guys on the PP or who is on the PK. My 2 cents.

Petes1

Oct 26, 2002
I am trying to listen to the game on 90.5 but it is very difficult to determine the Petes lines as he doesn't give much pertinent information. Who is playing with Kirk and Robertson, and who is with McTavish and Butler. I gather Gallant, Hinz and Little make up one line. I am confused, more info and less senseless chatter would be a positive step. He also doesn't name the 5 guys on the PP or who is on the PK. My 2 cents.

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
I watched the game on OHL Livestream and the Petes played pretty well but we might have had a few lucky bounces to win this one. Overall though the Petes out-hustled the 67s and showed a lot heart tonight. The Denault-Grondin line saw a lot of ice and I think WIlson was playing all four lines fairly equally. Jones had another good game. With SDA out I think Kirk really stepped up. Nick Robertson had an off game and kept losing his footing and falling. Tough game against Oshawa coming up - biggest test yet. Looks like Sarnia gave the Gens thier first loss tonight.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
I loved Grondin, Denault and Little tonight
They are tenacious and physical. Any 67s who touched the puck when they were on the ice definitely paid the price.

Jones was the difference.

Interesting that McMullen dresses over Hutton tonight. Something must be up....I wonder if he will play in Oshawa.

Rest up tomorrow for the big game on Sunday. The Gennies will be fired up after getting spanked by the Sting......and that’s junior hockey.

Reactions: NorthernVoice

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
They gave Robertson an assist on the empty netter so I guess the two Petes point streaks live on

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
What was the story on the 67s comic sans jerseys? I hope it was for charity or something because those are fugly.

Reactions: Zebra

Ptbomillsy619

Dec 17, 2017
So it looks like jones is in net tonight I don’t like this yes it’s a huge game but it’s early to be doing 3games in 4 days

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
So it looks like jones is in net tonight I don’t like this yes it’s a huge game but it’s early to be doing 3games in 4 days
They don't play again until Thursday, which is against Sarnia, and I'm going to assume that will be Austin's game. Plus, it will be a home game, so there will be plenty of time for Jones to rest up after his busy weekend

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
The Oshawa announcers questioned why the Petes didn’t try to trade for Gareffa from KIT to fill their 3rd OA spot.
There is no reason to rush to fill that spot. The Petes are now 9-3.
The experience the young guys are getting is invaluable. McTavish, Avon, TRob, McMullen are holding their own (OK, McTavish is more than holding his own!) and gaining confidence with every game played.
I was very impressed with the Avon, TRob, McMullen line tonight. Great pressure and gritty along the boards.
Big shout out to the D.
Paquette, Maier, Chisholm, JPJ and Spearing were great playing Ottawa and Oshawa with McNamara hurt.
Don’t let the success go to your heads boys. Remember how you got here.....hard work and sticking to the game plan.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Nice win. Still lots they can do to improve, which is good. Some foolish penalties taken both ways IMO, just blatant stuff like Little's trip, Gallant taking out the goalie and all 3 Generals interference penalties that were way away from the play.

Jones obviously very good, even on a night where he had some rebound issues and lost the puck a couple times.

PP was missing SDA, Robertson trying to do too much as a result. I don't love the Hinz-Gallant-Little line but I get what they're doing with the vets together, I guess. Good to see Avon take some shifts on the top line with the game on the line in the 3rd, I guess they felt they needed his speed out there, he looked good getting after the puck aggressively.

Anyway, like I say, a great win over yet another top ranked team ahead, and I think there's a pretty obvious argument after this weekend that the Petes are as good as anyone in the league, even if I think they can play a lot better than they did at times tonight.

Is Hutton injured? You'd think 4 points in 5 games would have gotten him into the lineup with SDA out.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Also, I was going to come in here and harp on how bad Nico Gross is every time I see him play after the really dumb interference penalty and getting beaten in a race with Brady Hinz that cost Oshawa what was ultimately the game winning goal but he definitely showed up in the third with some offensive chances and mixing it up with a few different Petes players.

I lol'd at the Oshawa broadcast repeatedly showing the play from last year where Robertson picks his pocket and walks in for the clean breakaway goal though, I guess it's part of the OHL advertising package or something? I haven't watched too many games on TV this year.

Diaero

Nov 29, 2016
Petes officially tied for first in the OHL.

Jones takes over with best GAA in the OHL.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Petes are legit this year and if I had to bet on an OHL favourite right now they'd be my pick. In a year where league-wide the goaltending is really suspect, Jones is clearly the best one. Kirk was the best player for the Petes I thought, he looks way better and way more engaged than last year, playing a lot more in the middle of the ice rather than on the perimeter. Probably don't even need that much. 2 top 4 D-men, a top 9 forward and a goalie you can trust for when Jones is gone for a month and could probably contend for it all right there.

Question though (as a Leafs fan), is Robertson usually so high risk/high reward or was tonight just him trying to do too much with no SDA? It's clear he's dangerous whenever he has the puck but is he normally that loose with the puck?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad