Peterborough Petes 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diaero

Nov 29, 2016
Can Detroit still sign Gallant and return him to Peterborough for an overage season?

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
I hope the team can rebound and play the same style they did against Ottawa before the break......hard on the forecheck and backcheck, play physical, take away time and space, no respect......play with a chip on your shoulder but stay out of the box.
This is the way Gallant plays so it’s tough that he’s out, but I’m counting on Grondin, Little and Timleck to lead by example with some sandpaper in their game.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Austin has to get some playing time especially with Jones going through a bit of a rough time.

Austin will likely get the Sarnia game this weekend + next Thursday’s game vs Saginaw, when Jones is at the prospects game

Petes1

Oct 26, 2002
Can Detroit still sign Gallant and return him to Peterborough for an overage season?

They can, but it doesn't happen often. Spencer Watson and Jake Paterson are the only two (recent examples) I can think of that had to be signed ahead of their OA season and were still returned to the OHL. Watson was sent back because he missed the first half of the season with an injury and Detroit didn't have a spot to put Paterson.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
They can, but it doesn't happen often. Spencer Watson and Jake Paterson are the only two (recent examples) I can think of that had to be signed ahead of their OA season and were still returned to the OHL. Watson was sent back because he missed the first half of the season with an injury and Detroit didn't have a spot to put Paterson.

Gallant has been a pretty damn good OHL player this season when’s he’s been in the lineup. Would be tough to see him graduate before being able to play at this level for an extended period of time....

Reactions: Petes1

Diaero

Nov 29, 2016
Well that was an interesting game. After the first period I would have guessed we'd have lost by at least ten goals. Then the second period it looked like we could have taken a two or three goal lead on Guelph with a couple bounces/better finishes. Then we went back to the old tried and true Peterborough model of having absolutely no presence on the powerplay.

Shame, it's a game we could have won that we should have never had a chance in after twenty minutes.

Ptbomillsy619

Dec 17, 2017

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
As Mike Babcock would say, you have to start on time and that cost the team a chance to win tonight
Yeah, just a bad first period, you can single out players on each of the first couple goals, a bad pinch, a guy out for a skate, a guy not at all holding the post... in any case no one was very good in the first, it came together in the second, which could have been Guelph taking the foot off the gas, but it was 4-3 pretty quickly and the last 35 minutes played at that score were very competitive.

Nice showing by Tye Austin.

Reactions: Ptbomillsy619

viewfromabove

Nov 29, 2017
Yeah, just a bad first period, you can single out players on each of the first couple goals, a bad pinch, a guy out for a skate, a guy not at all holding the post... in any case no one was very good in the first, it came together in the second, which could have been Guelph taking the foot off the gas, but it was 4-3 pretty quickly and the last 35 minutes played at that score were very competitive.

Nice showing by Tye Austin.
Austin should play all weekend. Jones looks completely rattled. And I wonder what would happen if Cole Fraser acted the way Merkley did? Oh ya. He was sat for a game in the stands. Two sets of rules for two sets of players. Kinda reminds me of last year all over again. Nothing done at the deadline e to help the team. Discipline going I. The tank and a goalie that has played too much and has the jibs. Watching that first period last night was a real treat to see a team that can be tht dominant and loaded with talent.

Reactions: WillardJFredricks

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Merkley was really good last night, aside from getting caught on the one goal.

He had NINE shots on goal and led rush after rush where he didn't get caught and made a number of highlight reel passes.

He gets pissed off when things don't go his way, so what?

Reactions: Petes

viewfromabove

Nov 29, 2017
Merkley was really good last night, aside from getting caught on the one goal.

He had NINE shots on goal and led rush after rush where he didn't get caught and made a number of highlight reel passes.

He gets pissed off when things don't go his way, so what?
Lol He should grow up and be accountable like everyone else. What message does it send to everyone else? That's all I am saying. And he should have NINE shots on goal He plays 45 minutes a game and never leaves the ice when there is a power play. Don't get me wrong, he is awesome when he is on his offensive game but quit the stick breaking and smashing into the boards is childish and should stop.

Diaero

Nov 29, 2016
We're not going to change who Ryan Merkley is, so there's no point in trying to teach him a lesson. We knew that when we got him, the whole league knew that, and Guelph knew they could be a better team without him. He's ours now and he can be a dynamic force on offensive and pace our breakouts and keep defenses on their toes.

He'll get going eventually since Wilson has basically given him the leash to run the show. I wouldn't be surprised if he played 40 minutes last night. We basically made a deal with the devil, and we live and die by Merkley's play now.

I still stand by the trade and Merkley, we're a better team when he's got the puck on his stick. I wonder what the rationale was to have Spearing as his defensive partner instead of someone like Osmanski who can play stay-at-home. Spearing is keeping up to his credit, kinda throws him to the wolves a bit but he's been impressive. He's got a bright future with the Petes.

Diaero

Nov 29, 2016
Still frustrated watching SDA out there, he does so little to impact the game at times even though he's controlling the puck on his stick. I'd rather see Butler or guys that will play a North/South game over SDA float around with the puck, dipping and ducking checks but ultimately doing nothing with it. Cermak/Paquette as the C's on the PP, and SDA on the bench. Force the units to get the puck on net instead of their one trick back-door pass to Robertson.

Hell, Grondin is driving more offense than SDA. Give him a chance with Robertson and Timleck on his wing.

Petesfan8

Dec 18, 2017
Still frustrated watching SDA out there, he does so little to impact the game at times even though he's controlling the puck on his stick. I'd rather see Butler or guys that will play a North/South game over SDA float around with the puck, dipping and ducking checks but ultimately doing nothing with it. Cermak/Paquette as the C's on the PP, and SDA on the bench. Force the units to get the puck on net instead of their one trick back-door pass to Robertson.

Hell, Grondin is driving more offense than SDA. Give him a chance with Robertson and Timleck on his wing.
Agree.

Reactions: OHLEYE

Zebra

Feb 12, 2017
Re : Merkley

Last night after Merkley came back to the bench and smashed his stick against the glass and broke it-

I heard a Grandparent? explaining to his kid that smashing your stick is not sportsmanlike behaviour-

The kid replies “ That #25 is not a role model for me -so it doesn’t matter “

I couldn’t help it -I burst out laughing and turned around and smiled at them and high fived the kid who looked to be 8 -10 yrs old.

There it is “from the mouth of a babe”.

Merkley is not a role model.

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004

It's totally deflating every time he comes over the boards. But clearly Wilson will keep playing him no matter how poorly he plays. It's so frustrating to watch him play and keep getting ice time. He may dip and duck checks but then falls down and loses the puck, gets nudged by someone and loses the puck, or finds another way to give it away.

Reactions: Petesfan8

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
Re : Merkley

Last night after Merkley came back to the bench and smashed his stick against the glass and broke it-

I heard a Grandparent? explaining to his kid that smashing your stick is not sportsmanlike behaviour-

The kid replies “ That #25 is not a role model for me -so it doesn’t matter “

I couldn’t help it -I burst out laughing and turned around and smiled at them and high fived the kid who looked to be 8 -10 yrs old.

There it is “from the mouth of a babe”.

Merkley is not a role model.

Smart kid!

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Depending how Thursday goes we don’t see Austin till Saturday
Austin looked great in relief last night man. Nice comeback effort for the Petes after the bad first. I have to say I couldn’t believe SDA only has five goals. I feel your frustration.

Last edited:
Reactions: storm surge
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad