Peterborough Petes 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diaero

Nov 29, 2016
is Cole Fraser worthy of an OA spot?

I know his physical play is among the top in the league, and fans love his hits. But in terms of being an OA defenseman, is he an asset to the team in a competitive year? He makes some real bone-head plays with the puck in his own end. You can almost bet on it happening at least once a game, where he has the puck and tries something stupid or whiffs on the pass and it creates a grade A scoring opportunity out of nowhere.

That said he can go toe-to-toe with almost anyone (except Brazeau apparently) in the league, and he's definitely not a player I'd want to play against. Do the net positives outweigh the net negatives to bring back Fraser as an important OA next season?

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
Got to love the true Canadian hockey talk; inter-conference 4 pt game and it's all jocularity about beer!
Petes with a strong start to the season but stumbling lately while NB has gone from hockey pretender to playoff intender with the league's leading scorer and hottest goaltender, yet the most intriguing thing is the cost of beer.
I can hardly wait for the playoff preview discussions on which arena's nachos have the best tasting fake cheese or who's stale popcorn is the saltiest.
You dont have to partake in this thread if you dont like what's being posted

Reactions: Lycanthrope

viewfromabove

Nov 29, 2017
You dont have to partake in this thread if you dont like what's being posted
is Cole Fraser worthy of an OA spot?

I know his physical play is among the top in the league, and fans love his hits. But in terms of being an OA defenseman, is he an asset to the team in a competitive year? He makes some real bone-head plays with the puck in his own end. You can almost bet on it happening at least once a game, where he has the puck and tries something stupid or whiffs on the pass and it creates a grade A scoring opportunity out of nowhere.

That said he can go toe-to-toe with almost anyone (except Brazeau apparently) in the league, and he's definitely not a player I'd want to play against. Do the net positives outweigh the net negatives to bring back Fraser as an important OA next season?
Who else will play defenseman? We just traded Beraldo and Supryka for draft picks. If anyone gets hurt it’s JPJ Oh ya and no one else signed to call up. Not a good spot to be in. My guess is that we won’t get anyone in the off season either. So it’s Fraser.

Reactions: OHLEYE

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Stan Butler's quote pretty much nails it for me

"I don't think there is any doubt territorially we got outplayed tonight," said Butler, 'but at the end of the day the bounces went our way. It doesn't hurt that our goalie is on fire. He's in a zone and made a lot of good saves. Tonight he made saves and their goalie didn't. I think our opportunities we got were pretty good and we took advantage. We don't' need a lot of opportunities to score this year."

Petes did have a lot of time in the offensive zone but didn't do much with it and weren't opportunistic at all. So many long shots with no chance of going in the net.

Jones didn't have the best night either.

I agree with the earlier thought on Fraser, both last night and vs. Oshawa he got caught throwing a hit and took himself out of the play leading to an early goal. His physical game is valuable and he's mostly been better this year than seasons past. I think he probably is a good OA for next season but his game is just as risky as a guy like Merkley but fans don't seem to mind a guy being out of position as much if it's to throw a big hit.

Reactions: Petesfan8

Zebra

Feb 12, 2017
I just have to say -Timleck must be some kind of super freak of nature.
That guy has some serious strength!

He is always knocking over big guys like it is nothing and I am constantly shocked by his strength on other plays too!

Last night he flung a NB guy to the ice right in front of the NB net and I wouldn't have believed if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes.

He is so strong it is freaky - but in a good way- like super hero strength.

battfan888

Podcaster
Feb 29, 2012
Sleeman Centre
From everything I had heard Merkley and his teammates actually got along pretty good in Guelph. Some were apparently upset when Ryan was traded. I'm guessing the whole thing between he and Primeau was an isolated thing.

Regardless if what I heard is right or not I cant imagine you will see anybody taking a run at him.

As for what's being described about his game Saturday night....well let's say it's something weve seen many times before here in Guelph

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
So this weekend 3in3 Guelph Ottawa Sarnia too bad wasn’t in reverse order for Petes. Sarnia 2-5-3 last 10. Hoping to see Gallant back he’s a huge piece for this team it appears. Imagine Jones in for first 2 then Austin vs Sarnia. Teams behind are NB 1pt Hamilton 2pts and 8th Missy 5pts Petes have games at hand on all but it’s getting tight. If they get caught and end up 6 or 7th worse case scenario it’s out in 1st round possibly on a team with 7 NHL picks on it if I’m correct.

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
From everything I had heard Merkley and his teammates actually got along pretty good in Guelph. Some were apparently upset when Ryan was traded. I'm guessing the whole thing between he and Primeau was an isolated thing.

Regardless if what I heard is right or not I cant imagine you will see anybody taking a run at him.

As for what's being described about his game Saturday night....well let's say it's something weve seen many times before here in Guelph

There were also reports that Merkley and Bertuzzi got in a fist fight before Bertuzzi's trade. But I guess most of the guys that had a problem with Merkley (at least publicly) arent in Guelph anymore

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
That's the first I've heard this one.

The reports were that they never really got along (as goes for a lot of teammates I'm sure) but then they got into it physically while in downtown Guelph one night and the next night Bertuzzi left the team and went home and then was traded to Hamilton a week later

Living Vicariously

Mar 15, 2014
Fergus
The reports were that they never really got along (as goes for a lot of teammates I'm sure) but then they got into it physically while in downtown Guelph one night and the next night Bertuzzi left the team and went home and then was traded to Hamilton a week later

Really? Where were these reports from? I'm not challenging your information but this is pretty specific news that I thought would have buzzed around the mill a bit more here in Guelph. I mean some of us may know others that communicate with players and have not heard anything about this.

On the other hand, it might explain why there was a flurry of activity prior to Christmas - Primeau, Merkley, Bertuzzi.

Reactions: Bag Headed Hab Fan

Diaero

Nov 29, 2016
Sounds like Guelph had an outright dysfunctional locker room and cleaned house.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
There were also reports that Merkley and Bertuzzi got in a fist fight before Bertuzzi's trade. But I guess most of the guys that had a problem with Merkley (at least publicly) arent in Guelph anymore
I've heard this too, and it was related to a Christmas event/gift. It was the final straw and why they traded him for pennies on the dollar (although they'd be trying to shop him for almost a year at this point).

Reactions: Square Corners

Petesfan8

Dec 18, 2017
So this weekend 3in3 Guelph Ottawa Sarnia too bad wasn’t in reverse order for Petes. Sarnia 2-5-3 last 10. Hoping to see Gallant back he’s a huge piece for this team it appears. Imagine Jones in for first 2 then Austin vs Sarnia. Teams behind are NB 1pt Hamilton 2pts and 8th Missy 5pts Petes have games at hand on all but it’s getting tight. If they get caught and end up 6 or 7th worse case scenario it’s out in 1st round possibly on a team with 7 NHL picks on it if I’m correct.

Gallant still out, perhaps not back this season. I am sure his parents want to see him 100% before returning and who would blame them. Any predictions how many points the Petes get in the next six games?

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Gallant still out, perhaps not back this season. I am sure his parents want to see him 100% before returning and who would blame them. Any predictions how many points the Petes get in the next six games?

Not back this season? No chance he gets signed be Detroit then.

Reactions: PenaltyBoxPetesFan

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
From what I've seen of the DII tournament, I can safely say that Liam Kirk is the best U20 hockey player amongst the 21st to 30th best hockey countries in the world.

2 more goals today but they were the only 2 GB scored and they lost, ending any chance at Gold, so... send him back here please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad