Peterborough Petes 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
IMO, the Petes are likely to finish somewhere between 5th and 8th. If Gallant is done and they have other short term injuries to overcome (Chisholm, Timleck) they will be 7th at best.

North Bay is playing well, Missy is up and down, Hamilton is struggling (lost 10-0 to Ice Dogs). This year should be all about evaluating to see who you want around next year. Ideally, they end up playing at least 6 playoff games when all is said and done to get some experience.

Reactions: OHLEYE

OHLEYE

Oct 17, 2006
I’m sure that the hope was that adding a Merkley would help get the PP on track and get SDA playing like he did last year. These benefits may occur, but I guess we should be patient.

I’m sure the fact that the Merkley and Spearing families knew each other and the acquisition of Merkley’s friend, Little, were factors in trying to get the best out of Merkley (production & attitude).

If the Petes were winning, we would not be complaining about Merkley........as much

Merkley has 7 PP points in 11 games with the Petes. Timleck leads the team with 8 in 41 games.

SDA needs size on his wing. He's been given good linemates since his rookie season, which is more to say than several of our past 1st round picks. People have mentioned he's struggling because Gogolev left, but he's been struggling all season and has rarely played with Gogolev in the OHL. Playing poorly because you're sad your buddy left is not a good sign.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just asking. What are the meltdowns and are they a headache to just fans, or the team as well? Breaking a stick because he's upset? I don't consider that a meltdown or a headache. As a couple people have posted, he's a competitor. I'd like for several of our players to show more emotion as long as it doesn't cost us. Is he costing us?
No he's not, not more than he's helping, we knew he was going to be a divisive player. Its too bad people have turned on him so quickly because he gets pissed off when they're losing.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Merkley has 7 PP points in 11 games with the Petes. Timleck leads the team with 8 in 41 games.

SDA needs size on his wing. He's been given good linemates since his rookie season, which is more to say than several of our past 1st round picks. People have mentioned he's struggling because Gogolev left, but he's been struggling all season and has rarely played with Gogolev in the OHL. Playing poorly because you're sad your buddy left is not a good sign.
Merkley's shots from the point on the PP are amazing. He gets them through at the right level for a tip or deflection every time. I'm sure people would like to see him wind up and try to pick a corner more often (which we've seen him do once) but I heard the other day that rebounds and deflections result in goals at about the same rate as breakaways.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
How anyone can think that the Merkley deal was good for this team is beyond me. I don’t care if he is lights out offensively he is a headache What were they thinking?

Other than apparently being the exact type D that the coach coveted, they were probably thinking that integrating a probable 90 pt, 19 yr old D that fits the core age now is a good idea ahead of an ‘all-in’ 2019-20 season.
Breaking sticks (alarming to those paying for their kids sticks, I’m sure) is not cool, in any way. But the kid’s ability is nearly unreal. From what I’ve seen (on tv) in Guelph & Peterborough, the chances created for far outweighs the chances against. I think the opportunity to have Merkley as a 19 yr old is well worth the risk of his current downside

Last edited:
Reactions: NorthernVoice

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just asking. What are the meltdowns and are they a headache to just fans, or the team as well? Breaking a stick because he's upset? I don't consider that a meltdown or a headache. As a couple people have posted, he's a competitor. I'd like for several of our players to show more emotion as long as it doesn't cost us. Is he costing us?

I would say he is costing the team when his tantrums are leading him to be benched. Either voluntarily (like allegedly happened last Saturday) or involuntarily (like last night, it seemed). If your "best" defence man and most skilled player is being benched for entire periods because he can't control his emotions, that is hurting the team. Especially given how short the lineup is right now, they can't afford more players sitting because they can't control their emotions on the ice.

OHLEYE

Oct 17, 2006
Merkley's shots from the point on the PP are amazing. He gets them through at the right level for a tip or deflection every time. I'm sure people would like to see him wind up and try to pick a corner more often (which we've seen him do once) but I heard the other day that rebounds and deflections result in goals at about the same rate as breakaways.

I like Fraser, but he, Paquette, Isaacson and many others have constantly missed the net. Beraldo was good at getting the puck there. Merkley wastes no time in moving the puck and he brings a passion to the rink and team that is sorely lacking. The Petes aren't going anywhere next season until they find more intensity. I've been trying to tell that to people all season long. People can say 'all-in' or "contending" season all they want, but until the Petes improve their intensity/work ethic AND bring in offensive weapons, we won't be contending.

Wilson likes our work ethic and doesn't think we quit. Yet we get outworked almost every game. Teams like Kingston, Missy and NB don't have the talent we do, and yet they beat us by outworking us. We see this almost every season.

Intensity also doesn't mean just pluggers. Ang, Robertson, Korostelev and Gogolev also bring intensity. Oke can add all the Grondins and Littles he wants (players with multiple years of service), but it won't help unless they can add on the score sheet too. Paquette and Hinz aren't difference makers either.

Reactions: WillardJFredricks

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
You can’t be serious...

I still understand the trade 100%. Half of the league wouldn’t accept a trade to us and the same goes for the top prospects willing to be drafted here so if you can get a Merkley talent, you have to take the chance and hope that he figures out the attitude.

But to act like he isn’t a headache.... common now lol. He’s averaging like 1.5 MPG (meltdowns per game) over the last 2 weeks :ha:
mwa hahahaha!

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
I’m sure that the hope was that adding a Merkley would help get the PP on track and get SDA playing like he did last year. These benefits may occur, but I guess we should be patient.

I’m sure the fact that the Merkley and Spearing families knew each other and the acquisition of Merkley’s friend, Little, were factors in trying to get the best out of Merkley (production & attitude).

If the Petes were winning, we would not be complaining about Merkley........as much
Merk....NEEDS muscle..(Little)... or one day ...heeza gonna get real hurt.....methinks

Diaero

Nov 29, 2016
Hinz is someone you don't notice a lot out there but produces.

I think we should sell high on SDA next season, since I imagine he would still be coveted around the league as a high pick, and a Leafs pick at that. Honestly I would look for three new OAs next season as I'm not a huge fan of the idea of relying on Fraser to anchor our defense. If we're shitting on Merkley for more negatives than positives on the ice, than Fraser is the king in that regard. I love his physical play and how he can change momentum with a hit, but man...

Right now there's a chance we have two top 10 draft picks, so landing a big time blueliner would be amazing. Roman Schmidt 6'6 would be a pipe dream pick.

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
Hinz is someone you don't notice a lot out there but produces.

I think we should sell high on SDA next season, since I imagine he would still be coveted around the league as a high pick, and a Leafs pick at that. Honestly I would look for three new OAs next season as I'm not a huge fan of the idea of relying on Fraser to anchor our defense. If we're ****ting on Merkley for more negatives than positives on the ice, than Fraser is the king in that regard. I love his physical play and how he can change momentum with a hit, but man...

Right now there's a chance we have two top 10 draft picks, so landing a big time blueliner would be amazing. Roman Schmidt 6'6 would be a pipe dream pick.

Trading SDA would be a great idea, I think, if other teams would pay something for him. I'm sure a team like London could turn him into a player.

It seems like Fraser takes his fair share of abuse for every mistake he makes and has for a couple years. I don't think Merkley is getting treated any worse than Fraser has been.

I agree that the OA's next season don't look great for a team that is supposed to contend. It will be interesting to see how the next couple months play out. It looked like they would be a lock for 4th or 5th place, but now it could be 7th or 8th. Though they're bound to break out of this slump eventually, but with the number of guys missing it might continue another week or so.

Any predictions on tonight? I think Jones will bounce back and they'll win tonight. Maybe 3-2. Hopefully, at least.

Reactions: Bra Wavers

MCur19

Sep 27, 2017
Kirk finished with a bronze medal, 5g 9a 14pts in 5 games for U20 GB Men in World Junior Div 2 Championship

Nice Job Liam!!

Reactions: dirty12

Petesfan8

Dec 18, 2017
IMO, the Petes are likely to finish somewhere between 5th and 8th. If Gallant is done and they have other short term injuries to overcome (Chisholm, Timleck) they will be 7th at best.

North Bay is playing well, Missy is up and down, Hamilton is struggling (lost 10-0 to Ice Dogs). This year should be all about evaluating to see who you want around next year. Ideally, they end up playing at least 6 playoff games when all is said and done to get some experience.

At Best the Petes are a mediocre team that should finish somewhere between 5th and 8th in their division. So take away their captain, their best defenceman, (Chisholm), Kirk, Timleck, and Hinz and they just can't compete and especially against a team like Ottawa that is loaded with talent. I give the kids and they are kids koodos for their effort last night. They can hold their heads high. My question is when are we going to have a contender in this City?

viewfromabove

Nov 29, 2017
At Best the Petes are a mediocre team that should finish somewhere between 5th and 8th in their division. So take away their captain, their best defenceman, (Chisholm), Kirk, Timleck, and Hinz and they just can't compete and especially against a team like Ottawa that is loaded with talent. I give the kids and they are kids koodos for their effort last night. They can hold their heads high. My question is when are we going to have a contender in this City?
Didn’t you hear? Next year! Lol. Except next year never comes. And if they don’t soon make some changes from top to bottom everyone can keep smoking the now legal hippy lettuce and think next year is coming. Lol. Just like the Arena. By the time that’s built the season ticket base of the team will be six feet under and the only one left in this city that can afford to go to a game will be at the rink seven days a week with their kids chasing the dream leaving no one at the petes games. Sell the team Please.

Diaero

Nov 29, 2016
My question is when are we going to have a contender in this City?

When we get a private owner, a new state-of-the-art arena with modern training facilities, a budget that can get us adequate coaching, amenities that can keep up with the growing demand in the league, a whole new recruitment team and we stop coasting on the history this organization has and start making history again. Until then, there's not much that will shake this team's culture of being a have-not franchise a decade behind the curve.

I've seen a game in every OHL arena outside Flint, Saginaw, Windsor and the Soo, and maybe outside Sudbury our arena is the absolute worst. Kitchener has the same out-dated business model we do and somehow get results. It's hard to shit entirely on Oke and the board when you see how little city council cares about the Petes, dragging their feet forever on a new arena and patchworking the PMC when it's long past it's due date, but the only single fact that can undue all the negative crap I just wrote is to sell the team to a private owner. Then it's not the city's problem, it's the owner's problem. No one would dare move the Petes out of Peterborough. This city wants to cheer for this team, you build a winner and you'll have sellouts just like in the 90s.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Didn’t you hear? Next year! Lol. Except next year never comes. And if they don’t soon make some changes from top to bottom everyone can keep smoking the now legal hippy lettuce and think next year is coming. Lol. Just like the Arena. By the time that’s built the season ticket base of the team will be six feet under and the only one left in this city that can afford to go to a game will be at the rink seven days a week with their kids chasing the dream leaving no one at the petes games. Sell the team Please.

Why not next year? It sure seems Oke has built towards contention for next season. Half of the Petes returning roster will consist of 19 yr olds including 1st overall pick, 3-2nds, 3-3rds, a goalie, & import.

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
Why not next year? It sure seems Oke has built towards contention for next season. Half of the Petes returning roster will consist of 19 yr olds including 1st overall pick, 3-2nds, 3-3rds, a goalie, & import.

Because Petes fans would rather be negative and bash players/management on the internet.

No idea why anyone would want to play for a fan base that everything about the team and it’s players..

Reactions: Diaero

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
Because Petes fans would rather be negative and bash players/management on the internet.

No idea why anyone would want to play for a fan base that everything about the team and it’s players..

You love to play woo is me and try to have people feel sorry for you, so I'll give dirty12 the real answer

Because last year was the last time the Petes were supposed to be an "OHL championship contender" and we didn't even make the playoffs lol. And why did that team fall apart? Dylan Wells was run into the ground the year prior and then was a shell of himself in what should've been the contending year.

Take a guess who currently leads the OHL in games played among goalies and shots against and saves...... It's Hunter Jones. And he looks nothing like himself the last month. He's exhausted

Section7fan can act like it's just people being haters all he wants, but we literally watched this run what should've been a good Petes team in the ground last year and we're not supposed to act like we see it starting to happen again...?

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
When we get a private owner, a new state-of-the-art arena with modern training facilities, a budget that can get us adequate coaching, amenities that can keep up with the growing demand in the league, a whole new recruitment team and we stop coasting on the history this organization has and start making history again. Until then, there's not much that will shake this team's culture of being a have-not franchise a decade behind the curve.

I've seen a game in every OHL arena outside Flint, Saginaw, Windsor and the Soo, and maybe outside Sudbury our arena is the absolute worst. Kitchener has the same out-dated business model we do and somehow get results. It's hard to **** entirely on Oke and the board when you see how little city council cares about the Petes, dragging their feet forever on a new arena and patchworking the PMC when it's long past it's due date, but the only single fact that can undue all the negative crap I just wrote is to sell the team to a private owner. Then it's not the city's problem, it's the owner's problem. No one would dare move the Petes out of Peterborough. This city wants to cheer for this team, you build a winner and you'll have sellouts just like in the 90s.

100% accurate. Outstanding post.

Reactions: viewfromabove

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
Glad they got the win tonight. Much needed. It was nice to see Parker-Jones in front of the net on the PP. About time they tried something different. Hopefully the players get a couple days to rest now before next weekend.

Reactions: Zebra

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
You love to play woo is me and try to have people feel sorry for you, so I'll give dirty12 the real answer

Because last year was the last time the Petes were supposed to be an "OHL championship contender" and we didn't even make the playoffs lol. And why did that team fall apart? Dylan Wells was run into the ground the year prior and then was a shell of himself in what should've been the contending year.

Take a guess who currently leads the OHL in games played among goalies and shots against and saves...... It's Hunter Jones. And he looks nothing like himself the last month. He's exhausted

Section7fan can act like it's just people being haters all he wants, but we literally watched this run what should've been a good Petes team in the ground last year and we're not supposed to act like we see it starting to happen again...?

Because I come on here and call out keyboard warriors like you for bashing young kids who you don’t even know?

Last year is last year so let’s stop crying about it. This team wasn’t suppose to be good this year and they’ve actually turned out better than expected even with the injury trouble.

Everyone on here is all upset because Oke didn’t waste all his assets this year to lose to Ottawa or Niagara and completely blow any chance at being a contender next year.

I know you think that you’re some magical hockey genius that knows everything but you can’t predict what next year will be just because Hunter Jones plays lots of games.

You are nothing but a cyber troll that gets off on bashing people behind a computer screen

Diaero

Nov 29, 2016
SDA out there with Butler worked. Someone with size and a trigger man is what he needs on his line and he looked more dangerous last night because of it.

Also Butler and Parker Jones on the PP with the net front presence. Smart adjustments, our PP still isn’t scoring at a rate it should and our breakouts need work but simple moves like that go a long way. We’re going to score way more goals with a screen in front and some floaters on net than we ever will with the perfect backdoor pass. Especially with the way Merkley gets the puck on net.

Anyone catch the rewards code for last night?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad