Peterborough Petes 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Austin should play all weekend. Jones looks completely rattled. And I wonder what would happen if Cole Fraser acted the way Merkley did? Oh ya. He was sat for a game in the stands. Two sets of rules for two sets of players. Kinda reminds me of last year all over again. Nothing done at the deadline e to help the team. Discipline going I. The tank and a goalie that has played too much and has the jibs. Watching that first period last night was a real treat to see a team that can be tht dominant and loaded with talent.

You were the exception most fans would say the real “treat” was to watch the way the Petes rebounded and outplayed, outshot and outscored the Storm in the 2nd and 3rd periods.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
You were the exception most fans would say the real “treat” was to watch the way the Petes rebounded and outplayed, outshot and outscored the Storm in the 2nd and 3rd periods.

Agreed.... and Merkley was a big part of that.

Petesfan8

Dec 18, 2017
It's totally deflating every time he comes over the boards. But clearly Wilson will keep playing him no matter how poorly he plays. It's so frustrating to watch him play and keep getting ice time. He may dip and duck checks but then falls down and loses the puck, gets nudged by someone and loses the puck, or finds another way to give it away.
You are right on with your assessment of SDA. But he continues to get lots of ice time.

Reactions: WillardJFredricks

Diaero

Nov 29, 2016
You rarely, if ever see him gain any kind of speed, he's usually just coasting out there relying entirely on his stickhandling to get through the zones and the other team. He'll pick the puck up in our own zone and then think he can just pivot and deke five guys before setting up someone for a highlight reel goal. I don't think I've seen him once this season just drive north/south with the puck and fire a dump in to chase.

I think his brief stint in the NHL went to his head and all the praise he got in the Leafs camp + signing his NHL contract. He's not playing like someone that's trying to get to the next level, it's like he's already there in his head so he can coast here and not put in the effort. He should have been one of the best centers in the league this year, he should be putting the other team on notice when he's on the ice and making players around him better. He's not doing any of that, he's a blackhole for possession cause whenever he has the puck it's going to end in a turnover after a few nifty moves. It's really a shame.

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
Any word why Chisholm is out?

Not sure. Ugly game tonight. Austin has played alright (especially early) but the Petes need to produce goals somehow. And Merkley finally got a misconduct for all his yapping. Timleck left with an injury in the 1rst. Looks like the Petes are pretty frustrated right now.

viewfromabove

Nov 29, 2017
Not sure. Ugly game tonight. Austin has played alright (especially early) but the Petes need to produce goals somehow. And Merkley finally got a misconduct for all his yapping. Timleck left with an injury in the 1rst. Looks like the Petes are pretty frustrated right now.
Tough to watch. They finally benched him too. We are weak up front. No offence at all.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Lockhart put on quite the show tonight at the Petes minor midget tourny... grabbing him or Brett Harrison at 5 would be a nice get. The way things are trending currently we won’t have to wait long to announce our second selection in the first round....

PenaltyBoxPetesFan

Jan 10, 2019
Glad Austin got the start he actually played unreal last night. Didn’t let in a goal after coming into a game that looked like there was no hope. Hard game yesterday for the boys going into. Knowing the other team is that stacked and going down early is hard. Great effort to come back. The team isn’t working as a team anymore. Sammy drops a pass for merkley on the power play and Robbie skates in and steals it. Then he drops its to merkley. Coaching staff needs to do some team bonding and teach these kids that working as one unit instead of one player will take them a lot further.

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
Tough to watch. They finally benched him too. We are weak up front. No offence at all.

About time. It's no wonder the coach has gotten sick of his garbage already. No doubting the talent, but he's been awful for the team. No wonder Guelph was so happy to get rid of him (if you believe the reports/rumours).

I don't know what to do about offence. Kirk should be back next week, I would think. They need to switch up the PP and take SDA off. I think anyone else would be more effective than he is right now.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Gutsy effort by the guys tonight in a tough situation. Ottawa controlled the play so much that I was shocked to see that they only had 28 shots.........I'm sure that Petes players blocked more than that......well done!

I hope Merkley felt bad being benched and watching the rest of the guys battle with so few guys able to play. He needs to play "for" his teammates, not just "with" them!

Tomorrow's game may be rough as well....they started short 1 skater Thursday night and short 2 skaters tonight against two of the top teams in the CHL.

Maybe we see Dustin Hutton dress as a filler?
And Robertson and Jones will miss Thursday's game vs Saginaw with the prospect's game.

I'm also hearing rumblings that Gallant may be out for the rest of the season. The news just goes from bad to worse.........I do feel bad for them. They've had some pretty crappy luck.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
May need to sign a draft pick......some ideas:
  • My have stopped in Smiths Falls on the bus ride home and picked up LW Ryan Richardson 17 yr old with 29 pts in 38g
  • Maybe RW Tyler Paquette who is playing in the USHL....he’s a Penn State commit, but maybe his teammate at the Hlinka tournament, Nic Robertson could talk him into it?!
?

OHLEYE

Oct 17, 2006
? What’s a half time player? Robertson Chisholm SDA Gallant Fraser Kirk Butler Jones Hinz Macnamara all core returns likely Merkley returns plus 2 1st rounders, excellent faceoff guy in Grondin Cermak maybe an addition still plus all those picks to use for rentals next year I think Petes are just fine heading into next year.

A player who lacks in a major area: work ethic, skating, stickhandling, and production. The last one is what it all comes down to. A player can lack something, but can be useful as long as he's contributing to wins. Isaacson was early in the season, but wasn't worth all the icetime he was getting the last couple months.

You listed all the decent players, but SDA and Hinz should not be on that list. They aren't worth the icetime they're receiving. The Petes aren't going anywhere this season, so that development should be going to Butler and Cermak. Why do I need to see SDA thrown over the boards all the time? He does absolutely nothing and gives the puck away almost every play. If SDA weren't drafted into the NHL I'm guessing he wouldn't be playing so much, but having him with Robertson and Timleck makes no sense.

I'd much rather see Grondin in SDA's spot. Why give up a 2nd and a 3rd only to play him on the 4th line? He's actually shown some things in his limited icetime; he works hard and is physical, so shouldn't now be the time to see if he can handle a bigger role? Denault lacks in areas, but he's one of the hardest workers on the team, so I'd reward him too.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
May need to sign a draft pick......some ideas:
  • My have stopped in Smiths Falls on the bus ride home and picked up LW Ryan Richardson 17 yr old with 29 pts in 38g
  • Maybe RW Tyler Paquette who is playing in the USHL....he’s a Penn State commit, but maybe his teammate at the Hlinka tournament, Nic Robertson could talk him into it?!
?

That would require the team to get off the wallet. Both of those players would be good adds but neither will happen.

viewfromabove

Nov 29, 2017
Glad Austin got the start he actually played unreal last night. Didn’t let in a goal after coming into a game that looked like there was no hope. Hard game yesterday for the boys going into. Knowing the other team is that stacked and going down early is hard. Great effort to come back. The team isn’t working as a team anymore. Sammy drops a pass for merkley on the power play and Robbie skates in and steals it. Then he drops its to merkley. Coaching staff needs to do some team bonding and teach these kids that working as one unit instead of one player will take them a lot further.
So true

viewfromabove

Nov 29, 2017
Gutsy effort by the guys tonight in a tough situation. Ottawa controlled the play so much that I was shocked to see that they only had 28 shots.........I'm sure that Petes players blocked more than that......well done!

I hope Merkley felt bad being benched and watching the rest of the guys battle with so few guys able to play. He needs to play "for" his teammates, not just "with" them!

Tomorrow's game may be rough as well....they started short 1 skater Thursday night and short 2 skaters tonight against two of the top teams in the CHL.

Maybe we see Dustin Hutton dress as a filler?
And Robertson and Jones will miss Thursday's game vs Saginaw with the prospect's game.

I'm also hearing rumblings that Gallant may be out for the rest of the season. The news just goes from bad to worse.........I do feel bad for them. They've had some pretty crappy luck.
How anyone can think that the Merkley deal was good for this team is beyond me. I don’t care if he is lights out offensively he is a headache What were they thinking?

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
Why are so many people hating on him? He just got here and he's easily one of the best players on the team. A team that desperately needs talent. How is he a headache?
You can’t be serious...

I still understand the trade 100%. Half of the league wouldn’t accept a trade to us and the same goes for the top prospects willing to be drafted here so if you can get a Merkley talent, you have to take the chance and hope that he figures out the attitude.

But to act like he isn’t a headache.... common now lol. He’s averaging like 1.5 MPG (meltdowns per game) over the last 2 weeks :ha:

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
That would require the team to get off the wallet. Both of those players would be good adds but neither will happen.
Yeah.....you’re right
Maybe Wilson will come out to the bench early to watch the flag skaters to see if there is some quality there that he could add to the lineup :help:

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
You can’t be serious...

I still understand the trade 100%. Half of the league wouldn’t accept a trade to us and the same goes for the top prospects willing to be drafted here so if you can get a Merkley talent, you have to take the chance and hope that he figures out the attitude.

But to act like he isn’t a headache.... common now lol. He’s averaging like 1.5 MPG (meltdowns per game) over the last 2 weeks :ha:

I’m sure that the hope was that adding a Merkley would help get the PP on track and get SDA playing like he did last year. These benefits may occur, but I guess we should be patient.

I’m sure the fact that the Merkley and Spearing families knew each other and the acquisition of Merkley’s friend, Little, were factors in trying to get the best out of Merkley (production & attitude).

If the Petes were winning, we would not be complaining about Merkley........as much

OHLEYE

Oct 17, 2006
You can’t be serious...

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just asking. What are the meltdowns and are they a headache to just fans, or the team as well? Breaking a stick because he's upset? I don't consider that a meltdown or a headache. As a couple people have posted, he's a competitor. I'd like for several of our players to show more emotion as long as it doesn't cost us. Is he costing us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad