Speculation: Peter Horachek

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
Horacheck has had a healthy lineup for most of his tenure here until recently. unlike Dineen who had to deal with an injury plagued lineup all of last year. Horacheck is a decent coach but his inability to adjust with this roster is troublesome. We give up far to many odd man rushes per game, and like AG said lack serious structure.

wait...let me get this straight, you're trying to say that horachek's panthers are playing bad and without structure because of injuries, but then when it comes to evaluating dineen's teams, you ignore the fact that they were amongst the league leaders in man games lost...??? right...:sarcasm:

look i wasn't a dineen fan either, especially towards the end, but it's not like horachek's teams have been great. aside from a handful of games at the beginning of his tenure, he hasn't done much. not to mention the power play is so terrible that when we actually do score on the pp i'm shocked and it's more often than not just dumb luck.

if you actually watched the games, you would see that this team is not much different under dineen or horachek. but i guess since you don't actually watch the games i can't really blame you for not noticing.

perhaps you weren't here but i gave dineen a pass last year. i was hoping he'd turned the corner as i was unhappy with the team's play 2 years ago (yes, the year we made the playoffs - go back and look at the threads). dineen had a healthy team 2 years ago and they still looked like crap, especially when the top line wasn't scoring and theodore wasn't standing on his head. most overlooked it because we did make the playoffs (thanks in large part to a ridiculous start, fueled by the top line's success). if you recall, the playoffs were a roller coaster of crap team play with some sparkling individual moments thrown in there (the bergy goal was a big one). however, as much as i wanted to, i couldn't put last year's failure on him and felt he deserved another year. i said as much on these boards.

i don't know what you're talking about with this "you don't watch the games" crap - i've watched roughly 3/4 of the games this year, enough to know that the team looked entirely different under horachek AFTER the initial bump. after a couple of weeks, you could see the change in play. it wasn't just that we were competing harder and winning, we were playing better hockey. it was a joy to watch. it's pretty obvious what's to blame for the slide in play and wins. only someone with an agenda would try to say otherwise.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
Horacheck has had a healthy lineup for most of his tenure here until recently. unlike Dineen who had to deal with an injury plagued lineup all of last season

Yea, prior to the Olympic break and losing barkov, we lost 3 in a row, 4 of 5 and 12 of 19. That's with the benefit of a healthy Thomas.

WESEERED

#CatsAreComing
Apr 20, 2012
Yea i dont think we will see him back next year. I dont know if there is one available but it would be nice to have a proven coach come in and provide some stability.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Yea i dont think we will see him back next year. I dont know if there is one available but it would be nice to have a proven coach come in and provide some stability.

Well that's the thing I don't know if there is any proven coach available. Anyway Horacheck is the smallest problem that this team has at the moment.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I don't think Horachek is good, I didn't think Dineen was good, and I didn't think PDB was good, but to be fair, the roster is usually pretty bad, in '09 and '12 PDB and Dineen pretty much got blood out of a stone, it's hard to do that consistently. No point in getting rid of the coach unless you better the team at the same time.

LUUUUUIS

Nov 2, 2011
Florida
San Jose commentators were heaping a ton of praise on Horachek. Mentioned the structure he's brought to the team. They seem to think he'll lose the interim tag this off-season. So, were they just being nice? blind? Or are Panther fans being too harsh?

For the record, I bounce between liking Horachek and being neutral.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
San Jose commentators were heaping a ton of praise on Horachek. Mentioned the structure he's brought to the team. They seem to think he'll lose the interim tag this off-season. So, were they just being nice? blind? Or are Panther fans being too harsh?

While coyote announcers said just the opposite.

Neither were being nice or mean just reflecting the way they played that game. Neither team see us often enough to judge.

Jan 19, 2006

Well there is the issue of 29 shots in one period....

Last edited:

LUUUUUIS

Nov 2, 2011
Florida
While coyote announcers said just the opposite.

Neither were being nice or mean just reflecting the way they played that game. Neither team see us often enough to judge.

Did they say anything specific about Horachek's structure? Or just praised Tippett for the superb structure he's implemented? I agree neither duo has seen the Panthers enough to give a deep analyst of Horachek.

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA

i listened to their feed as well. didn't post but since you did... we clearly played a pretty solid game. there were a few gaffes and ...

Taking four penalties in the third period against a team with a high-octane offense certainly contributes to that.

yeah, that was the issue in the 3rd, but the SJ guys were probably repeating what they've heard from others and feeling it was confirmed by what they were seeing. regarding the vacillation from one game to the next, it shouldn't be a surprise considering the rotating cast of young players out there (last count, i think there were 8 guys who played in the AHL this year on the panthers' roster now).

i've said there's little doubt that tallon would like to sign horachek. he was brought into the organization for a reason, after all. a few more games like this will buffer him from the likes of the mr. graves out there.

coopdaloop123

Mar 11, 2013
FL
Unless their is a big name on the market that fits they should sign Horachek to a 1 year deal. The roster will be very similar next year so it may help the young guys to have a familiar face.

After next season there is a big crop of good free agents and the Panthers should be a bit farther along in their rebuild. At this point if Horachek has another average season they can bring in a coach that is more accustomed to handling winning teams.

Erick*

I hope that Horachek returns.

With that said, praising the team's structure last night seems like bad timing considering that they gave up 54 shots and 29 in one period.

It's funny how a goalie can make a coach look like a genius sometimes.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
After next season there is a big crop of good free agents

The best free agents won't hit UFA. It's going to be about as good as this year and the past couple of years. People always say that "this year is terrible, but next year will be much better". It doesn't happen.

Effe

Sep 26, 2013
Gothenburg, Sweden
The best free agents won't hit UFA. It's going to be about as good as this year and the past couple of years. People always say that "this year is terrible, but next year will be much better". It doesn't happen.

yeah Toews, Kane, Krejcie and Green will resign for sure, i guess Spezza wants to resign aswell. MSL will stay in Rangers or quit, I doubt Sens gave up their prospects and 1st pick without wanting to resign Ryan. So yeah next season will be worse then 2014, and i think that Flash will be one of the best UFA that hits the market.

2016 looks fun, much because the rumour that Stamkos might not resign (and that was before the MSL drama). But im sure he will resign in the end, they cant afford to lose him.

coopdaloop123

Mar 11, 2013
FL
No guarantees that Chicago will be able to retain both Toews and Kane considering both will get around 9-10 million by that time (given where the cap is going) and Bobby Ryan's future Ottawa is in doubt given how poorly they've played and the fact they are most likely filing for bankruptcy at some point I'd assume.

Even though the classes always thin out due to re-signings, there's always a big fish or two and by 2015 hopefully the Panthers are desirable enough to get one.

Effe

Sep 26, 2013
Gothenburg, Sweden
No guarantees that Chicago will be able to retain both Toews and Kane considering both will get around 9-10 million by that time (given where the cap is going) and Bobby Ryan's future Ottawa is in doubt given how poorly they've played and the fact they are most likely filing for bankruptcy at some point I'd assume.

Even though the classes always thin out due to re-signings, there's always a big fish or two and by 2015 hopefully the Panthers are desirable enough to get one.

Hawks will make sure they have money to resign them, The cap will be around 75 M then so they will have the space. Im sure ryan will stay, they will overpay him to keep him after what they payed for him.

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
I would like to see another coach next season but I understand the need for stability with young players while they find their game. If Horachek is retained I wouldn't be upset.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I don't mind that KD was fired, but what's changed since then? If he wasn't fired I don't see the team's record being any different. PP still sucks, PK still sucks, still no defensive structure.

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
I don't mind that KD was fired, but what's changed since then? If he wasn't fired I don't see the team's record being any different. PP still sucks, PK still sucks, still no defensive structure.

I didn't like this team from the start this season. I called them ghetto and they were. I think KD was axed for the fans more than anything. A shakeup always quiets the fan base. I am one of them :laugh:. It was cheaper than bringing in real talent.

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
I do have high hopes for this team moving forward with their home grown talent. Gudbranson, Huberdeau, Bjugstad, Barkov, Trocheck, Howden, Pirri.

Those guys should get better next season. Realistically, with Luongo in net all they have to do is be a little bit better and it should be a fun season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad