Speculation: Peter Horachek

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
I like those things too. I just don't confuse them with acting like a fool. Like you said though, it's a matter of preference.

thats why i never want tors around here.

I'm fine with letting horacheck get a full year in and see how things go. if we don't play well next year i doubt its because of whoever is coaching.

CoolburnIsGone

I would hope we are at least looking at the veteran coaching options out there other than Horachek TBH. Here's the list I've compiled based on who are currently available (either not coaching currently or an NHL asst/head coach in a lower league):

Ron Wilson
Andy Murray (though currently in yr 3 of a 5 yr contract at WMU)
Terry Murray
Tom Renney
Joe Sacco
Craig Hartsburg
John Stevens
Peter Laviolette
Craig MacTavish

Ron Wilson & Peter Laviolette would be at the top of my list of candidates, followed by Andy Murray to round out a top 3 candidates.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
We need to become a team with an identity at some point. For years, Dale has been saying that he wants us to play a puck possession game. At the same time, our defense has been bad all season long. Are we better suited for a puck possession game like the Blackhawks or a defensive style like the Blues and Kings. Well, there's 9 games left this season and we still have no clue. We need to figure that out asap before we hire the right man for the job. The players/system in place should dictate the type of coach you hire. Not the other way around. Take the Leafs for example. They brought in Carlyle in hopes to add some defensive structure to a team with a dynamic offense. They still haven't found much consistency as they're unraveling as we speak. Its due, in part, to the fact that the Leafs do not ice enough two-way players that are capable of successfully executing Carlyle's style. There are other factors that go into the Leaf's losing streak, but I believe they're playing a system that doesn't fit the strengths of their roster.

panthersfan94

#CatsAreComing
Jan 23, 2014
Nashville, TN
Really don't care if a coach jumps up and down and throws palm trees on the ice. Coach needs to get the best out if his players any way he can. Dineen was the yell and scream kind and how quickly did he loose the locker room?

Would you rather Hartley or Torts?

I can't comment on Hartley since I don't know enough about him. On the other hand, I don't have a problem with Torts, not that I would ever want him as a coach because I just don't think he's that good of a coach.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
I would hope we are at least looking at the veteran coaching options out there other than Horachek TBH. Here's the list I've compiled based on who are currently available (either not coaching currently or an NHL asst/head coach in a lower league):

Ron Wilson
Andy Murray (though currently in yr 3 of a 5 yr contract at WMU)
Terry Murray
Tom Renney
Joe Sacco
Craig Hartsburg
John Stevens
Peter Laviolette
Craig MacTavish

Ron Wilson & Peter Laviolette would be at the top of my list of candidates, followed by Andy Murray to round out a top 3 candidates.

I don't want any part of Wilson, the Murrays, Sacco, Hartsburg or Stevens. Cautiously looking at Renney, Laviolette and MacTavish. Not sure at this point. Is Mark Messier realistic? I heard he was looking to coach in the NHL someday..

CoolburnIsGone

I don't want any part of Wilson, the Murrays, Sacco, Hartsburg or Stevens. Cautiously looking at Renney, Laviolette and MacTavish. Not sure at this point. Is Mark Messier realistic? I heard he was looking to coach in the NHL someday..
I think Wilson would be fine actually. If you ignore his stint in Toronto, you can see he was successful in his other head coaching jobs in San Jose, Washington, & Anaheim. He's got over 1400 games of head coaching experience in the NHL (4th among all-time coaches) and almost 650 wins in his career. Wilson is a more offensive-minded coach too which is something I think we all would like to see our team become more of.

rockit2112

Jul 8, 2013
Custance on ESPN Insider did a piece on the Panthers' summer plans, and named Bylsma as a potential candidate if fired. I'd personally be all over that.

He seems to not have a strong opinion either way on whether Horachek stays or goes. He talked to Santos who says he thinks they should keep him, though no real surprise there.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Custance on ESPN Insider did a piece on the Panthers' summer plans, and named Bylsma as a potential candidate if fired. I'd personally be all over that.

He seems to not have a strong opinion either way on whether Horachek stays or goes. He talked to Santos who says he thinks they should keep him, though no real surprise there.

NO WAY do I want Bylsma.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I think Wilson would be fine actually. If you ignore his stint in Toronto, you can see he was successful in his other head coaching jobs in San Jose, Washington, & Anaheim. He's got over 1400 games of head coaching experience in the NHL (4th among all-time coaches) and almost 650 wins in his career. Wilson is a more offensive-minded coach too which is something I think we all would like to see our team become more of.
Though I'm not the biggest fan of the idea, I'd take him over the other candidates you named.

Messier has no experience, and can't be compared to Roy with his 8 years of experience in the Q.

Bylsma inherited a team built by Therrien. All the great regular season succees he's had aside, what has Bylsma managed to do with two of the league's best players? 2nd round exit, 1st round exit, another 1st round exit and the total embarrassment sweep in the conference finals last year.

I'd still take Boucher over anyone mentioned here. While he doesn't use a fancy offensive system, let's be honest here, that kind of system (that Boucher uses) is necessary for a team like this to have succees.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Can't figure out if poor special teams is coaching, personnel or a combination of both.

Either way, this issue needs to be resolved. We have no scoring threat on the PP whatsoever. It's basically passing it around hoping not to lose it and throwing the puck on net hoping it gets through. Zone entry and puck movement (probably the two most important facets of a PP are both a disaster).

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Just out of curiosity, care to explain why?
Ask a Pens fan what they think of DB. He's arguably the worst coach in the league, just got lucky to coach a stacked team.
Mark Messier is Mark Messier.

I'm sure he'd be great, even with no experience!

Well, at least, it's a gamble I'd be willing to make.

I mean there are countless examples of this working well right?

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
We need a coach that knows how to develop young talent. I think we need a simple "system" to play that capitalizes on our team's strengths....even though I don't know what they are...aside from goal tending.

You would think with Bjugstand and Barkov, those two lines need to cycle beneath the other teams goal line...kind of like the Sharks do. Hayes needs to be on the power play since he knows how to screen the goaltender. Defensively, I have no idea what we should do. Other lines ? Don't know.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Boucher is the only coach out there who can take this terribad defense and make it good. TB fans didn't like him because they felt he didn't know how to manage the offensive talent, a problem I don't see him having here :laugh:. Plus if Boucher is coach, think of the memes.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Plus if Boucher is coach, think of the memes.
65boucher.jpg

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Bob Hartley has done a really good job in Calgary- believe it or not. Their roster is just as bad if not worse than Florida's and they don't win a lot but play hard and have a solid system. Which is a lot more than you can say about the Panthers.

He is the perfect type for a rebuilding team. Hates to lose and demands a lot from his players. I think it was Hudler who said after training camp that he has never trained as hard as under coach Hartley.

That's the type of coach this needs. Not sure if Horacheck is bringing that fire to this team, he seems more of a thinker type who expects the "leaders" of the team to carry the responsibility. This team definitely needs a kick in the balls -type of coach right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad