Speculation: Peter Horachek

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
Clearly the jury is out with the luster off during Our swoon here these last 15 games. We are not even a point a game under his regime. Not blaming him, but clearly not the savior some jumped on a few games in. Tallon smartly answers he will decide over summer and well should. I would look at him as a candidate no more or less than anyone else available, taking into great consideration what our roster will look like.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
I say keep him, let him choose assistants. He has gotten the team .500 hockey with the current roster. The D has improved beyond belief and he's gotten Kuli looking great after a what looked like a downward spiral.

We need a special teams assistant though. I think let Skrewy go back to player development and get someone who can run the PP. Madden has his worth getting the F/O and the 2 way play of our centerman.

If he was let go I don't like the revolving door of personnel and who do we want afterwards?

SeasonTicket

Sep 5, 2006
I think VV will try to do what the Avs did. Bring in a high profile guy that alone will bring attention to the franchise.

Keeping Horachek as an assistant would probably be good if he'd be open to that.

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
This question is a lot like the: "What is plan/how does the organization value Markstrom question ?" In the sense that there are many different ways you can look at what Horacheck has accomplished here.

Negatives:

A historically bad power play

Bad defensive coverage at times

Positives:
Team plays with effort

Got the team to play a simplified game with structure

Kulikov has turned around under Horacheck

Penalty kill has been above average

It depends on how much you feel what he has done is because of goaltending, one hot line. You can also factor the injuries to Barkov, Gudbranson as reasons why this team's performance has dipped.

The bottom line is that the team is competitive half the time...despite a lack of high end talent. That doesn't mean we win half the time, it just means we have a shot.

The real question is "How good is Peter Horacheck at developing young players in the NHL ?" Because this team will have an in flux of young talent over the next three years. Getting Huberdeau, Gudbranson, Markstrom back on track are really important. Samething with preventing regression from Bjugstad and Barkov.

Other questions:
"What other candidates are out there ?"
"Do they fit what our organization is looking for ?"
"How much of the bad power play is attributable to Horacheck ? Can it be easily fixed ?"

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
I say keep him, let him choose assistants. He has gotten the team .500 hockey with the current roster. The D has improved beyond belief and he's gotten Kuli looking great after a what looked like a downward spiral.

We need a special teams assistant though. I think let Skrewy go back to player development and get someone who can run the PP. Madden has his worth getting the F/O and the 2 way play of our centerman.

If he was let go I don't like the revolving door of personnel and who do we want afterwards?

He clearly was hired as an INTERIM, so it was anticipated he was here to finish the season and then all bets off. Not really a revolving door issue.

Good question as to who we want lets see what end of season availabilities there are, too early now to know.

EnforceTheLaus

Nov 3, 2013
He clearly was hired as an INTERIM, so it was anticipated he was here to finish the season and then all bets off. Not really a revolving door issue.

Good question as to who we want lets see what end of season availabilities there are, too early now to know.
Realistically it's Noel and Lavy. Noel is meh, and while Lavy is a good coach, I don't think he is very good with D men or young players.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
Realistically it's Noel and Lavy. Noel is meh, and while Lavy is a good coach, I don't think he is very good with D men or young players.

your probably right ETL, but many changes can occur at years end.

Im just on DT's side here, no rush, lets see what our roster is like Aug 1 and who fits best.

EnforceTheLaus

Nov 3, 2013
your probably right ETL, but many changes can occur at years end.

Im just on DT's side here, no rush, lets see what our roster is like Aug 1 and who fits best.

Personally I'd like to see a coach in before FA. To be successful we need to have management on the same page. Having the coach can let the org assets the market and tailor a team to fit a coach's style and system.

Lampshade85

Oct 29, 2010
Florida
I think Horachek has improved the team but I don't think he should be considered as the answer to our coaching woes. I wouldn't mind seeing Laviolette as head coach but we could also go either the Mike Haviland or Guy Boucher route.

Personally I'd think Tallon waits to see who's available at the end of the season before starting the search and coming to a decision. He would certainly have more options to choose from then.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
He must go.. Worst PP in NHL history say anything?

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
A week or two ago, I'd say he definitely deserves to go from interim to permanent next season as I was so impressed how much he changed around the team with the roster they have. Now, I'm torn. I think he's done well progressing certain players that weren't achieving before, but some of his decisions on who to play or scratch and line combos make me wonder what he's thinking. I'm more likely thinking now that he's not the answer for the future, but hasn't been a terrible interim to have the team present a decent record after Dineen's departure.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
Whomever we hire, id like a little passion in the guy, enough so opposing coaches and refs know we are alive.

Perhaps not to this extent, but this I found beyond hysterical, and it will put a smile on all your faces I promise.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Of the current UFA coaches available (thou at least one coach is bound to get sacked before the offseason starts), Guy Boucher is the only one I'm interested in. He has an NHL out-clause with the Swiss team he's currently coaching.

The rest is meh, meh and more meh. Laviolette is a trainwreck.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Of the current UFA coaches available (thou at least one coach is bound to get sacked before the offseason starts), Guy Boucher is the only one I'm interested in. He has an NHL out-clause with the Swiss team he's currently coaching.

I think there might be a lot free coaches in the summer

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.

Agreed.

Gordonx11

#CatsAreComing
Jan 21, 2013
Kansas City, MO
There's not a coach available right now that I would even consider taking.

All joking aside though I would love to have Torts as coach...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad