Peter Holland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
If Kadri becomes a #1C, he still isn't going to fit will with Kessel. Much like how the Heatley - Spezza - Alfy line is probably not what we want. Instead, we should be looking at developing MULTIPLE top lines.

Look at Chicago.

Toews forms the top line.

Kane forms the scoring line.

That's how we should do it, with Kadri - Kessel on separate lines. The idea that Kessel is going to produce more is ridiculous, he's very productive with the likes of Holland in the middle. In fact, give him that PWF, and that's when he starts looking even better. Space is what he needs to thrive, while JVR needs someone that help him out.

I'd like to see Kessel and JVR between a guy like Backes or Kopitar. That line would be very very difficult to contain.
Team Canada might find out the hard way if Backes finds his way between the two leafs.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
So 2 games in an what's the general consensus?

I was expecting a lot more talk in this thread after game 2.

I like what i see, more then what i saw from Colb.

LOL, looks about as good as Bozo does on that line.

Glad we now have some depth at C if we make the POs.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
We have a good problem brewing in the future in leaf land, too many 2b 3a players. Great for depth.

Our wings in the top 6 are good. The true 1c isn't here, Kadri is great but is working towards becoming a vet and with that rounding out his game.

If Holland could really perform and take a 2c role with Kadri sliding up that would not be ideal but very respectable. We don't need a 1c with our wings, we need legit 2c's.

Not sure Holland is the man yet but hey. I don't mind sending him down and working on him, lesser pick factored in.

GifKing*

Oct 24, 2013
We have a good problem brewing in the future in leaf land, too many 2b 3a players. Great for depth.

Our wings in the top 6 are good. The true 1c isn't here, Kadri is great but is working towards becoming a vet and with that rounding out his game.

If Holland could really perform and take a 2c role with Kadri sliding up that would not be ideal but very respectable. We don't need a 1c with our wings, we need legit 2c's.

Not sure Holland is the man yet but hey. I don't mind sending him down and working on him, lesser pick factored in.

Saw him live at the ACC for the first time last night. I don't think sending him down would benefit him TBH.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Clarkson
Raymond - McClement - Kulemin
Orr - Smith - McLaren

Will be interesting to see if they keep Holland around as an extra forward (like Rielly) and plug him into the lineup every now and then, or if they send him back to the AHL

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Yeah, I don't get why you would send the kid down when I don't think he has even made a mistake yet. Just a smart player.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
If it were up to me i'd go Smith as #3. Smithson centers the 4th (better at faceoffs) with Mcclement on a wing and the fighters rotating in.

I agree with you - Smithson has become a bit of the forgotten player in this centre chaos, but he's steady as a rock and excellent defensively for the 4th line centre, not to mention he can kill penalties and win draws.

It's a dilemna actually - the centre thing!!!!!

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Looks like holland and smith will battle it out for the third line c spot, with smith holding the early inside edge.

If both of them flop, then we can always stick mcclem back up there but i think randy's gonna give the two more offensive guys a shot first.

It also looks like smithson has earned himself a 4th line spot now so mclaren's out if we ever get healthy.

Don't be surprised if both holland and ashton are sent down and we go with this:

VanR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Clarkson
Raymond - Smith - Kulemin
McClem - Smithson - Orr
(McLaren)

Though smith would be on a short leash and could be swapped with holland if he struggles.

And i wouldn't mind seeing these marlies lines for a bit:

Abbot (25) - Holland (22) - Leivo (20)
Ashton (22) - McKegg (21) - D'Amigo (22)

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Looks like holland and smith will battle it out for the third line c spot, with smith holding the early inside edge.

If both of them flop, then we can always stick mcclem back up there but i think randy's gonna give the two more offensive guys a shot first.

It also looks like smithson has earned himself a 4th line spot now so mclaren's out if we ever get healthy.

Don't be surprised if both holland and ashton are sent down and we go with this:

VanR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Clarkson
Raymond - Smith - Kulemin
McClem - Smithson - Orr
(McLaren)

Though smith would be on a short leash and could be swapped with holland if he struggles.

And i wouldn't mind seeing these marlies lines for a bit:

Abbot (25) - Holland (22) - Leivo (20)
Ashton (22) - McKegg (21) - D'Amigo (22)

Would not mind that at all, and would improve the marlies squad quite a bit.

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
I like Holland's game so far, its a very small sample but it would be nice to keep him in the bigs but sad we lose a 2nd if we do. I am wondering if we are shaping up to lose McClement and/or Bolland after this season. Or perhaps a possible Kadri trade, depends how much they start to like Holland I dunno. Anyways Holland has been alright, hopefully he isn't making Nonis and co. think about moving Kadri though. I also think Holland could be a very similar(except cheaper and younger) option than Bozak in a year or two...its an interesting situation for us down the middle. No clear #2 but lots of candidates, no #1 in sight except the possibility Kadri solidifies all aspects of his game.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I have to think when Bozak and Kadri come back, Holland will be sent down given:

1 - Trevor Smith has played beyond expectations.

2 - And If he plays 25 NHL games, we forfeit a 2nd rd pick. Right now it stands as a 3rd rd pick.

For me Holland, becomes the Joe Colborne of the organization. In a way we traded Colborne(the obtained 3rd, more likely 4th rd pick), Blacker and a 7th(Steckel) for Holland.

Point is I hate trading 2nd rd picks, if the trade is converted to a 2nd rd pick, it will mark 3 straight years we have traded our 2nd rd picks. History for Leafs drafts have shown this is not the wisest thing to do.

Unless Holland is making it impossible to send him down, 2 games thus far say no thus far. We send him down to the Marlies where he can be an emergency call up and hope he continues to develop.

agropop

Mar 3, 2011
Windsor
If Kadri becomes a #1C, he still isn't going to fit will with Kessel. Much like how the Heatley - Spezza - Alfy line is probably not what we want. Instead, we should be looking at developing MULTIPLE top lines.

Look at Chicago.

Toews forms the top line.

Kane forms the scoring line.

That's how we should do it, with Kadri - Kessel on separate lines. The idea that Kessel is going to produce more is ridiculous, he's very productive with the likes of Holland in the middle. In fact, give him that PWF, and that's when he starts looking even better. Space is what he needs to thrive, while JVR needs someone that help him out.

Chicago is playing their best centre on the top line, we should do that too.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I have to think when Bozak and Kadri come back, Holland will be sent down given:

1 - Trevor Smith has played beyond expectations.

2 - And If he plays 25 NHL games, we forfeit a 2nd rd pick. Right now it stands as a 3rd rd pick.

For me Holland, becomes the Joe Colborne of the organization. In a way we traded Colborne(the obtained 3rd, more likely 4th rd pick), Blacker and a 7th(Steckel) for Holland.

Point is I hate trading 2nd rd picks, if the trade is converted to a 2nd rd pick, it will mark 3 straight years we have traded our 2nd rd picks. History for Leafs drafts have shown this is not the wisest thing to do.

Unless Holland is making it impossible to send him down, 2 games thus far say no thus far. We send him down to the Marlies where he can be an emergency call up and hope he continues to develop.

If we were to draft a prospect like Holland with a second round pick, we would consider ourselves quite lucky.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
If we were to draft a prospect like Holland with a second round pick, we would consider ourselves quite lucky.

Thats true but there are some very good players available in the 2nd round that are overlooked, like Brandon saad who was taken with a leafs 2nd rounder (I think) same with Gibson on Anaheim (taken with a leafs 2nd rounder)

The Caveman

We are all the goat
Jan 14, 2007
Montreal, PQ
Send Holland down and see if he can tear it up with the Marlies. We don't need him right now with Kadri and Bozak coming back, and Smith and Smithson playing well. Save the 2nd, and if Holland shows that he warrants a shot with the big club, then Nonis has some interesting choices to make over the summer.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Agreed, This why I hate throwing away 2nd rd picks. Pretty important part of building a team.

Here's a list of our 2nd rd picks. Some very good players on this list.

Errol Thompson 70
Rick Kehoe 71
Tiger Williams 74
Doug Jarvis 75
Randy Carlyle 76
Rocky Saganiuk 77
Joel Quenneville 78
Craig Muni 80
Bob Mcgill 80
Gary Leeman 82
Peter Ihnacak 82
Todd Gill 84
Darryl Shannon 86
Daniel Marois 87
Tie Domi 88
Felix Potvin 90
Karel Pilar 01
Matthew Stajan 02
Nik Kulemin 06
Jimmy Hayes 08
Jesse Blacker 09
Brad Ross 10
Finn 12

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Send Holland down and see if he can tear it up with the Marlies. We don't need him right now with Kadri and Bozak coming back, and Smith and Smithson playing well. Save the 2nd, and if Holland shows that he warrants a shot with the big club, then Nonis has some interesting choices to make over the summer.

He's at the point where the AHL is pointless for him now. He is a PPG player at that level and is dominant. It's stupid to send a kid down when he looked very good after being thrown on the top line. He's just a smart player.

The Caveman

We are all the goat
Jan 14, 2007
Montreal, PQ
He's at the point where the AHL is pointless for him now. He is a PPG player at that level and is dominant. It's stupid to send a kid down when he looked very good after being thrown on the top line. He's just a smart player.

Agreed that he is a smart player and hasn't looked out of place. But neither has Smith. I would argue that Smith has been even better, at least if you look at points. Nothing wrong with an extra year of grooming. If he shows that he is the real deal, then he can slot into #2 and move Bozak down to #3 where he should be. Resign Macclem as #4.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Agreed, This why I hate throwing away 2nd rd picks. Pretty important part of building a team.

I don't understand. You're saying we "threw away" a second round pick to acquire Holland, and you would rather we keep the pick so we might be lucky enough to draft a guy like Holland?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I don't understand. You're saying we "threw away" a second round pick to acquire Holland, and you would rather we keep the pick so we might be lucky enough to draft a guy like Holland?

Considering Colborne was had for a 4th rd pick, I would rather have Holland with a 3rd than a 2nd, because historically 2nd rd picks are a high price to pay. Blacker and the 7th don't mean much to me and are not part of the equation. Those assets may never play in the NHL. Or atleast an impact in the NHL.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Holland is a tough call once Kadri and Bozak both return to the lineup.

On one hand, Trevor Smith has done more than enough to stay with the big club, as a 3rd/4th line centre.

On the other hand, considering Holland's potential upside and accomplishments at the AHL level, I'm sure that Leafs brass want to give him an extended look, perhaps on the 3rd line.

Holland hasn't looked out of place at all, and he has been more impressive with increased ice time.

Last edited:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Holland is a tough call once Kadri and Bozak both return to the lineup.

On one hand, Trevor Smith has done more than enough to stay with the big club, as a 3rd/4th line centre.

On the other hand, considering Holland's potential upside and accomplishments at the AHL level, I'm sure that Leafs brass want to give him an extended look, perhaps on the 3rd line.

Holland hasn't looked out place at all, and he has been more impressive with increased ice time.

I caution throwing him to the wolves too soon, it's one thing to faceoff against Buffalo or NY Isles, and another thing to go up against Malkin and Crosby next week.

He will need sheltered mins as Kadri needed at the beginning of last season, before we can give him tougher assignments.

Kadri earned his stripes outplaying Grabovski last year, Holland hasn't yet. Thus far he has been ok, but let's keep it in perspective, he is still pointless against 2 very weak teams, while Trevor Smith has knocked it out of the park. Sends a very bad msg if Holland stayed up over Smith, who has done nothing wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad