Peter Holland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Peter Holland looked great to me in his debut. No practice with either guys but he still managed to be in and around the net, made some good plays in our zone and got the puck out efficiently, 2 shots, great on the dot and he clearly thinks like a top six player.

If he can be consistent, he's a top six player, if not, no harm done, he's still an NHL player IMO. Colborne had the size but played like a care bear, Holland has the size and I hope he keeps using it to shield the puck better.

It's what I think will determine his future...uses his size well ---> Plays on the top six. Becomes a care bear ---> Marlies or 3rd line.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

I knew that would get your attention. :laugh:

Truth is we need all of Kadri(post Cherry rant), Bozak, and Holland/Smith/Mcclement this year.

The hope is Holland will knock one of Bolland, Bozak, or Kadri out of the top 3 slots one day. If he does, this will mean it was a great trade.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I knew that would get your attention. :laugh:

Truth is we need all of Kadri(post Cherry rant), Bozak, and Holland/Smith/Mcclement this year.

The hope is Holland will knock one of Bolland, Bozak, or Kadri out of the top 3 slots one day. If he does, this will mean it was a great trade.

That's right. He will knock someone out or become a call up for when the need arises. I don't see it being 3rd line except for callup

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
:help: bozak wouldn't get any points being on the 2nd line, what would ur argument be then?

The scary part is you're serious.

Kadri is our best offensive Center that knocked out his Highness from #2C last season, and later off the team.

He is not however, as valuable as Bozak or Bolland at this moment. Not by how RC uses him.

This is what Carlyle and Cherry has challenged Naz to be with all the injuries. Offensively Naz has the talent, it's his all around game he needs to improve which includes the mental part.

For that I predict we are in for his best play of the season, he always responds to criticism, and as I said the other night, Don Cherry did RC a favour. Naz heard what he said, and I am sure he is fired up to prove to Don he can smarten up.

I believe in the kid, always have. But question is can we afford him in 2 summers.

TmlHockeyFan

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
Kadri is our best offensive Center that knocked out his Highness from #2C last season, and later off the team.

He is not however, as valuable as Bozak or Bolland right now.

This is what Carlyle and Cherry has challenged Naz to be with all the injuries. Offensively Naz has the talent, it's the his all around game he needs to improve.

For that I predict we are in for his best play of the season, he always responds to criticism, and as I said the other night, Don Cherry did RC a favour. Naz heard what he said, and I am sure he is fired up to prove to Don he can smarten up.

I believe in the kid, always have. But question is can we afford him in 2 summers.
:facepalm: Why don't you ignore what he will or will not ask in two summers and see how he does. He's still RFA.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre

He is not however, as valuable as Bozak or Bolland right now.

This is what Carlyle and Cherry has challenged Naz to be with all the injuries. Offensively Naz has the talent, it's the his all around game he needs to improve.

We can definitely afford him maximum he signs for is 6mil I think he'll settle for something like 5.4mil for 6 years, only 1mil above Mr. Bozak's salary yet he brings so much more to the table than Bozak. Its a no brainer that we sign one of our best home grown centers in decades and get rid of a 3rd line plugger.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
We can definitely afford him maximum he signs for is 6mil I think he'll settle for something like 5.4mil for 6 years, only 1mil above Mr. Bozak's salary yet he brings so much more to the table than Bozak. Its a no brainer that we sign one of our best home grown centers in decades and get rid of a 3rd line plugger.

He brings more offensively, but coach's look for things Bozak and Bolland bring. Both are no match for Kadri offensively but the coach values both players more than Kadri at this moment. Nonis gave Kadri a bridge contract. Nazem knows what that means, show me and you will get paid. It's up to Kadri to follow up last season, with a better one this year.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
If Kadri becomes the player we all hope he will and takes over, he will be asking significantly more than 6m.

If Kadri is only a 6m player by then, I don't think he's still a Leaf. (Unless of course he develops a hell of a two way game)

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If Kadri becomes the player we all hope he will and takes over, he will be asking significantly more than 6m.

If Kadri is only a 6m player by then, I don't think he's still a Leaf. (Unless of course he develops a hell of a two way game)

You got it, Leafs have a lot of money committed to

Kessel 8
Lupul 5.25
Clarkson 5.25
JVR 4.25
Bozak 4.2

with Phanuef, Bolland, and Bernier to come.

If Kadri wants 6M in 2 years he will really have to make himself untouchable to Nonis to ante up or he will be moved. That means play himself to the Duchene or Tavares level. Can he do it? He's got the talent to if he wants to.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
The thought of moving Kadri because the Leafs have Bozak and Bolland makes me want to punch my hand through a wall.

The thought of not being able to afford Kadri because he'll be asking for more money, because he's better than the other centers on the team, so they should move him makes me want to punch my hand through a wall.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Anyone remember that Holland guy the thread is named after :laugh:?

I'm looking forward to seeing how Holland does against the Islanders. A couple days to adjust to his new situation and rest up. Hopefully he can keep up a solid job on faceoffs since we could always use guys who can actually win them :).

Leafblooded

Jul 27, 2012
T.
Saw bozak at california samiches on dufferin - he's pretty dang scrawny for an nhler. I think beefing up and gaining some strenth would benefit him.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
About Bozak...

It won't be this year but in the end Nonnis can move Bozak. At some point a star C may become the answer. Many wonder if Kadri is a number one, He seems more a fireplug number 2 worth about $ to $4.5M. At some point I cant see Nonnis not moving one of them.

Ed Belfour

Nov 9, 2011
Toronto
Extremely poor cap management if we have to let superior players go because average players are being overpaid. That's a cap failure, to be honest.

I liked what I saw from Holland. Didn't play overly physical, but that's not really his game. What I liked is that he plays a high octane game, he was keeping up perfectly with JVR and playing at high speed.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Holland has an EXTREMELY long way to go before he gets to Bozak's level. People are way too hard on Bozak, he's not a good #1 C, but he's still a good C. He is, at the moment, the best centre on the team, legitimately better than both Kadri and Bolland. Kadri might pass him in the near future, but he's not there yet. I like the Holland acquisition, but he's only barely breaking into the NHL, I highly doubt he passes any of Bozak/Kadri/Bolland this season.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Holland has an EXTREMELY long way to go before he gets to Bozak's level. People are way too hard on Bozak, he's not a good #1 C, but he's still a good C. He is, at the moment, the best centre on the team, legitimately better than both Kadri and Bolland. Kadri might pass him in the near future, but he's not there yet. I like the Holland acquisition, but he's only barely breaking into the NHL, I highly doubt he passes any of Bozak/Kadri/Bolland this season.

even the most talented players in the league have those dreaded intangibles and tenacity people kid about, crosby, toews etc... bozak might not be as skilled but he brings that puck battle and tenacity. both kadri and more so holland need to develop this area of their game before they are truly valuable centers come playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->