Peter Holland

Status
Not open for further replies.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
So his first game as a leaf is behind him and he didn't look too out of place. Don't want to set expectations to high for him, I'm just hoping he can turn out to be a serviceable nhler. Also where do you guys think he can he fit in the lineup once bozak and kadri get back? Or do you think he gets sent to the marlies.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
3rd line center when Bozakadri are back, marlies when Bolland returns which is hopefully 23 more games so we keep our 2015 2nd rounder

Maybe he stays up and plays some games as a winger if we're completely healthy at Center and he proves he belongs

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Back and forth from the marlies. Eventually takes Raymond's spot next year hopefully.

Way too difficult to say at this point. All I have to go on are scouting reports and Ducks fans. Gotta let things play out.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
My biggest concern was that whenever he had an opportunity to finish a check, he'd slow almost to a stop before coasting into the player barely making contact, or he'd just plain avoid contact altogether and skate by the player.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
I liked what I saw from him-

He's hungry to succeed (which is more then I can say for the majority of the team), he was elite on faceoffs tonight, he showed he has some vision out there and he clicked well with JVR and Kessel

When Bozak and Kadri get back where he fits is up to him, if he plays like he did tonight then he makes a strong case to stay on the top line, if he falters (and he could) then I think he slides down to the 3rd line. The better question is what happens when Bozak/Kadri/Bolland are healthy and back in the lineup then what happens to him? I can't see him going to minors, espically after giving up a prospect and 2 picks, he's here to stay I think, I heard somewhere he can also play wing I think that he'll switch over once all 3 of our centres are back and healthy.

The one downside is he doesn't appear to be a physical or defensive oriented player though.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
He's still adjusting with no practices under his belt.

He didn't look out of place.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
3rd line center when Bozakadri are back, marlies when Bolland returns which is hopefully 23 more games so we keep our 2015 2nd rounder

Maybe he stays up and plays some games as a winger if we're completely healthy at Center and he proves he belongs
Pretty much this.

As terrible as this whole situation has been at least we are (hope) getting this over this early in the season. With Holland, Smithson and to a lesser extent Smith, our C depth isn't horrible.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
Right now its this:

1. Holland
2. Mcclement
3. Smith
4. Smithson

When Bozak/Kadri return its:

1. Bozak
2. Kadri
3. Holland
4. Mcclement

When all 3 guys return its

1. Bozak
2. Kadri
3. Bolland
4. Mcclement (Holland switches over to wing).

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
It will be up to him where he lands. He'll get some time in the top 6 till Bozak gets back in a week or so. If he plays well he'll keep the 3rd line center spot till Bolland gets back. If he doesn't play well and we want to keep the 2nd round pick he goes back to the Marlies and we move McClement up to the 3rd line center and keep Smithson on the 4th line spot.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
I liked what I saw from him-

He's hungry to succeed (which is more then I can say for the majority of the team), he was elite on faceoffs tonight, he showed he has some vision out there and he clicked well with JVR and Kessel

When Bozak and Kadri get back where he fits is up to him, if he plays like he did tonight then he makes a strong case to stay on the top line, if he falters (and he could) then I think he slides down to the 3rd line. The better question is what happens when Bozak/Kadri/Bolland are healthy and back in the lineup then what happens to him? I can't see him going to minors, espically after giving up a prospect and 2 picks, he's here to stay I think, I heard somewhere he can also play wing I think that he'll switch over once all 3 of our centres are back and healthy.

The one downside is he doesn't appear to be a physical or defensive oriented player though.

The scouting report backed up his lack of D. Carlyle's interview today regarding him seemed leave the impression that he had a physical size of his game that could possibly be unleashed

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
It will be up to him where he lands. He'll get some time in the top 6 till Bozak gets back in a week or so. If he plays well he'll keep the 3rd line center spot till Bolland gets back. If he doesn't play well and we want to keep the 2nd round pick he goes back to the Marlies and we move McClement up to the 3rd line center and keep Smithson on the 4th line spot.

I'm wondering if Bozak isn't out for a lot longer then expected, I mean think about it if Bozak is back in a week and Kadri is back next week why would Nonis go out and make a moderate trade? I hope I'm wrong but it wouldn't shock me if Bozak's not back next week or even the week after that....

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land

Steady, It's been one game.

It's 2014 2nd, Which means L.A would get the '15 2nd.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
He didn't look out of place, which is a good start considering he was just thrown in there with no practice. After a few practices and games to gel, we'll see if Holland can hang along with them.

false bobo

Dec 6, 2011
I'm wondering if Bozak isn't out for a lot longer then expected, I mean think about it if Bozak is back in a week and Kadri is back next week why would Nonis go out and make a moderate trade? I hope I'm wrong but it wouldn't shock me if Bozak's not back next week or even the week after that....

Because Bolland is out long-term.

Bozak began skating this past week. I don't see any need to worry.

Igy

Mar 3, 2011
Great pickup. He played well. He will be shifted to 3rd line C when Kadri and Bozak return, and when Bolland returns he will probably be sent down to the minors.

tamle

Nov 13, 2013
[nhl]487544[/nhl]
interview after first game
[nhl]487533[/nhl]

Remember him connecting on a nice pass from Kessel but missed the net. 2 SOGs in ~12 mins. Let's see how he does in more games.

Last edited:

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Steady, It's been one game.

It's 2014 2nd, Which means L.A would get the '15 2nd.

I know its been 1 game but you're not going to play him ahead of Bozak, Kadri, and Bolland or McClement if all are healthy, so unless he proves he belongs and gets moved to winger he'll likely be on the Marlies.

And I know that, but if he did play 25 games then both those picks are gone. If he doesn't then the Leafs likely have their 2015 2nd rounder, hence I said keep the 2015 2nd rounder

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
On Holland:

Two things that stood out for me were his speed and face offs; Impressive in both areas. Didn't see much of the shot save for the one rush, But it's there as well by the looks of it.

The only thing that stood in the other direction is he didn't run any one into the glass when he could of; But considering some of our forwards don't make any contact it'll hardly worry if he can fulfil some of his offensive potential.

Good debut.

Jer416

Oct 8, 2013
Ontario
If Carlyle is able to teach him how to play better defensively and use his body to become more physical, could turn into a pretty good 2nd liner. If not, bottom 6 seems like a good place for him (next year...dont really want to lose that 2nd rounder xD)

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I know its been 1 game but you're not going to play him ahead of Bozak, Kadri, and Bolland or McClement if all are healthy, so unless he proves he belongs and gets moved to winger he'll likely be on the Marlies.

And I know that, but if he did play 25 games then both those picks are gone. If he doesn't then the Leafs likely have their 2015 2nd rounder, hence I said keep the 2015 2nd rounder

I'm really not worried about a draft pick 20 months away. If he turns out, I'd pay it gladly.

Jer416

Oct 8, 2013
Ontario

If this guy pans out and becomes a solid winger (where he will probably fit in when we are healthy), I think he'd be worth a 2nd rounder since we have no clue how that pick will turn out...

goonx

Nov 7, 2010
I think it's bad faith just to send down the guy just to save that 2nd rounder.

If he's playing great hockey I don't see why we HAVE to send him down for the rest of the season at the 24 game mark. Ana and Holland would be pissed in this situation IMO. Do playoff games count? What if McClement gets injured? Don't call him up just because he's at his "quota?".

We should be GLAD that he's playing so well for us at this point if we had to give up the 2nd rounder.

Go back 4 years ago and asked if the leafs would trade the 15th overall pick for two 2nd rounders, ppl would be jumping on their feet saying yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad