Confirmed with Link: Petan re-signs for 2 years (775k AAV)

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
There's a good chance he ends up on the day to day roster. And even if he doesn't someone has to be the 13th forward. Having ours be able to play both C and W and play in the top 9 for under a million while still having some upside is valuable.
I'm sorry but I really haven't seen anything to suggest he's capable of doing what you're suggesting.
I'd rather have a vet eat popcorn and try and see if we can develop the talent this kid has.
Watching from up top and playing spot duty has not helped him so far.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Petan needs waivers to go down so it seems Dubas tends to hand out 1-way contracts and then keep them on the NHL roster.

It might come down to Petan replaces Ennis next year.
Petan is not good enough.

On a one way, with another year, I'd bet he clears.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Not that this would happen, but with GOAT out:

Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Petan - Matthews - Nylander
Johnsson - Kadri - Kapanen
Moore - Marleau - Brown
Ennis

That gives Matthews two set up guys on either side, would have to get Petan to play 'greasy'. I just don't see Petan as a centre on this team, he would obviously capitalize on his skillset playing with 2 superstars.
Marleau is not a center.

Why do Leafs fans keep trying to put players where they don't play?

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
Not that this would happen, but with GOAT out:

Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Petan - Matthews - Nylander
Johnsson - Kadri - Kapanen
Moore - Marleau - Brown
Ennis

That gives Matthews two set up guys on either side, would have to get Petan to play 'greasy'. I just don't see Petan as a centre on this team, he would obviously capitalize on his skillset playing with 2 superstars.

PETAN with Matthews? What has Matthews done to be punished like this?

2 years with Hyman, one season without Nylander, Johnsson, Kapanen.

WHy cant this superstar be paired with REAL NHLers for once???

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
Marleau is not a center.

Why do Leafs fans keep trying to put players where they don't play?

You didn't read my first sentence.

You don't make sense.

Well, Petan is a winger and probably needs a triggerman for success. I literally made a lineup proposition in like 5 minutes you all act like its reality. Lmao

AlienWorkShop

No, Ben! No!
Oct 30, 2004
Besides the obvious 'lock up cheap young depth now' nature of these moves, they may also reflect MLSE ever so slightly throwing its financial muscle around with one-way contracts.

Moore and Rosen have lower cap hits next year, but they're now guaranteed $775k/year and $750k/year for the next two years, respectively, compared to their current $70k AHL salaries. $1.5m guaranteed is a lot of money to put in front of a young, mid-tier prospect. Same for Holl last year, or Gauthier to a lesser extent.

I may be completely off and this is totally common practice for young players on their second contract, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Leafs do it more than others. See also the one-way (or at least high AHL salary) contracts for Mueller, Jooris, and Loverde on the Marlies right now.

(On a very esoteric note, I suspect NHL GMs have taken note of the very small advantage of the 'entry-level-slide', where an ELC's signing bonuses only count toward the cap if that player is on the roster. Otherwise, their cap hit is scaled down accordingly when they finally make the NHL. Hence why Marner's cap hit is $894k this year rather than $925k...)

Since these contracts all are/should be under $1.095m, they're completely buriable next year. If Holl, Petan, Sparks, etc. don't make the roster next year, they get waived and sent down. No cost to our cap, while the players are probably still relatively happy to be making NHL money in the AHL, and thus perhaps happy to stick around the Leafs organization and battle for a spot rather than settle for a two-way or AHL contract elsewhere.

I suppose the only negative is if they do end up needlessly taking up a 50-contract spot, but that constraint binding is pretty rare in practice... (although we seemingly took advantage of the Preds being in that situation, taking a flyer on Baptiste and his NHL-contract in exchange for Emerson Clark and his AHL contract)

TLDR: a boring post

Reactions: 4thline and Crysis

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
Expect it to be dirt cheap.

The Leafs 4tg line next season will be making under 3 million combined (just a little bit more than the cost of one Matt Martin)

Leafs 4th line has Patrick Marleau he alone is making more than twice the amount you just mentioned.

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015

Petan has no place on a fourth line he's a very gifted passer. Please explain his value playing with plugs? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Petan is a better option than most of the prospects on Marlies and Leafs are going to need filler players like him to fill out the roster next season and beyond.
He also has (possibly) some real upside.
He will not tap that potential as a Leaf.

He needs to be a Marlie if we want him to be anything more than a professional popcorn eater/seat filler.

He's no good at what you want him to be. I can't make that more clear to you.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
Would rather have Sestito sitting on the bench and then take turns using Kadri or Matthews or Nylander or Tavares with the remaining two 4th liners. Ennis and Petan suck defensively unless they're playing against other smurfs.

4th line: (Moore/Goat)............ (Tavares/Kadri Matthews/Nylander)............ (Brown/??)

Last edited:
Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
He also has (possibly) some real upside.
He will not tap that potential as a Leaf.

He needs to be a Marlie if we want him to be anything more than a professional popcorn eater/seat filler.

He's no good at what you want him to be. I can't make that more clear to you.

I'm understand your point, but I'm not the one signing him. :)

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I'm understand your point, but I'm not the one signing him. :)
And I said before (though maybe not to you specifically) that the contract, if it's one way, would be likely to clear waivers.
If we try and he's claimed, so what? Get another popcorn eater.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
You didn't read my first sentence.

You don't make sense.

Well, Petan is a winger and probably needs a triggerman for success. I literally made a lineup proposition in like 5 minutes you all act like its reality. Lmao

its nonsense.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
Petan has no place on a fourth line he's a very gifted passer. Please explain his value playing with plugs? Thanks in advance.

Petan sat for months when Ehlers wasnt scoring and Laine wasnt scoring. Why does he deserve to play anywhere in the top 6 on the Leafs?

Znith

Aug 16, 2012
at league minimum why does anyone care? He can be sent down to the marlies, and no one will claim on a two year deal.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I'm fine with him replacing Ennis in the press box and maybe getting the odd game in there once in a while. Ennis does not really impress me and while Petan may not be a lot better, at least he is younger with some upside. Maybe he can learn a few more things to make him a full-timer, or to be extra insurance for some other young guys who may get a spot on the Leafs. Especially if we are going young and cheap, and do not have anyone else who may be able to spot at center for a few games here or there (i.e. Aaltonen).

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
There is no way you can possibly know this.

And thats IF he even goes to the Marlies.

I get you dont like Dubas, but you're reaching quite a bit here.

Edit - The Marlies have been excellent at developing Leafs while integrating veterans over the past few years. Your "fears" are unfounded

The way people will twist any little thing to try and take a shot at Dubas is beyond comical at this point

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad