Confirmed with Link: Petan re-signs for 2 years (775k AAV)

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I am shocked some are finding issues with this kind of signing.

Actually on second thought, maybe I shouldn't be shocked at all.
some of us believe if the team doesn't view him as an NHLer then the ice time in the minors should be given to younger prospects that might develop into NHLers , which imo is the purpose of the Marlies

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
because at his age if Dubas is just signing him to use in the minors it's taking a top 6 spot away and ice time away from an actual NHL prospect

There is no way you can possibly know this.

And thats IF he even goes to the Marlies.

I get you dont like Dubas, but you're reaching quite a bit here.

Edit - The Marlies have been excellent at developing Leafs while integrating veterans over the past few years. Your "fears" are unfounded

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
because at his age if Dubas is just signing him to use in the minors it's taking a top 6 spot away and ice time away from an actual NHL prospect

I'd guess it's meant more if he at all becomes redundant over the (hopefully latter) course of the contract. There will be changes within the forward group going into next season. If Petan is being re-signed for two years, I'd hope it's because they've projected him to have a spot to kick off that new deal.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
some of us believe if the team doesn't view him as an NHLer then the ice time in the minors should be given to younger prospects that might develop into NHLers , which imo is the purpose of the Marlies

First of all, every team have these kind of depth players all the time. He isn't 35 years old here. You need tweeners and players that can go up and down your AHL/NHL lineup when injuries hit. It's also very likely Petan replaces someone like Ennis as a player that can move up and down your lineup. He's a player that will give them an option going into next season.

If he's not NHL quality, then him playing for your AHL team to give them a highly skilled player to help them is not going to hurt prospects, it's going to help them. Just look at the help guys like Mueller and Greening have provided that lineup over the past couple years. It certainly didn't hurt Kapanen, Johnsson, Nylander, etc. I don't understand why you think this will be detrimental to an AHL team... literally every AHL team has a 24-26 year old player.

So even if you think he's not much more than an AHL player, I really don't see a problem here and quite frankly it's puzzling that anybody could be disappointed.

Reactions: 4thline and ACC1224

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Seems like a rather 'vanilla' type move.
I don't know how you could either like or dislike it but it certainly was expected.
(assuming of course the dollars are low)

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
There is no way you can possibly know this.

And thats IF he even goes to the Marlies.

I get you dont like Dubas, but you're reaching quite a bit here.

Edit - The Marlies have been excellent at developing Leafs while integrating veterans over the past few years. Your "fears" are unfounded
my initial response was about you saying he'd clear and go to the Marlies

and my feelings on Dubas are that he's an employee of the Leafs just like the players and he should be judged on his performance , others believe like they always have , that to be a true fan means you have to blindly follow every move mgmt makes and attack anyone who dares believe the GM isn't above having his performance evaluated

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
my initial response was about you saying he'd clear and go to the Marlies

and my feelings on Dubas are that he's an employee of the Leafs just like the players and he should be judged on his performance , others believe like they always have , that to be a true fan means you have to blindly follow every move mgmt makes and attack anyone who dares believe the GM isn't above having his performance evaluated

What has Dubas done that you haven't liked?

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
First of all, every team have these kind of depth players all the time. He isn't 35 years old here. You need tweeners and players that can go up and down your AHL/NHL lineup when injuries hit. It's also very likely Petan replaces someone like Ennis as a player that can move up and down your lineup. He's a player that will give them an option going into next season.

If he's not NHL quality, then him playing for your AHL team to give them a highly skilled player to help them is not going to hurt prospects, it's going to help them. Just look at the help guys like Mueller and Greening have provided that lineup over the past couple years. It certainly didn't hurt Kapanen, Johnsson, Nylander, etc. I don't understand why you think this will be detrimental to an AHL team... literally every AHL team has a 24-26 year old player.

So even if you think he's not much more than an AHL player, I really don't see a problem here and quite frankly it's puzzling that anybody could be disappointed.
never said it was a problem , i just said it was a waste of time if the team didn't view him as a potential NHLer

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
In case no everybody noticed Dubas has been busy lately getting numerous depth players and draft picks signed.

These are the types of, and level of players that Leafs will need to count on as depth and surround the Leafs high priced stars with in the near future.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
What has Dubas done that you haven't liked?
-didn't like his "me vs we" media campaign during Nylanders negotiations

-didn't like him trading down in the first and only getting a 3rd when everyone else gets a 2nd

-didn't like him trying to spin JT's signing as some huge discount to the kids

-don't like him slow playing the kids deals which has back fired on him

-very concerned about his ability to gauge talent when he forced Sparkie/Holl/Maricin onto the Leafs roster especially considering he years to evaluate them

-don't like him trying to always differentiate everything he does so he can try to promote his forward out of the box thinker image he's desperately trying to create for himself

basically he just looks like a guy who bs'ed his way into the great situation but is now being exposed

i know it's against "true fan" policy to dare say a word against the GM but these are just some things that have bothered me about his tenure so far

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008

Very rare you're going to see a team in the AHL with all of their top six forwards being legit prospects.

It helps prospects play with good AHL players as well so that they can dominate.

Johnsson, Nylander, Brown, Kapanen, Leivo etc all played with guys like Arcobello, Griffith, Smith, Mueller etc.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
-didn't like his "me vs we" media campaign during Nylanders negotiations

-didn't like him trading down in the first and only getting a 3rd when everyone else gets a 2nd

-didn't like him trying to spin JT's signing as some huge discount to the kids

-don't like him slow playing the kids deals which has back fired on him

-very concerned about his ability to gauge talent when he forced Sparkie/Holl/Maricin onto the Leafs roster especially considering he years to evaluate them

-don't like him trying to always differentiate everything he does so he can try to promote his forward out of the box thinker image he's desperately trying to create for himself

basically he just looks like a guy who bs'ed his way into the great situation but is now being exposed

i know it's against "true fan" policy to dare say a word against the GM but these are just some things that have bothered me about his tenure so far

A lot of those points can be challenged, I think you just have it out for him.

You can criticize him for the Nylander saga, but if the reports were true that the Nylander camp was asking for 8+ million, of course the negotiation was going to take long. And in the end, he signed for less of a cap-hit(relative) to Pastrnak, which I think everyone would think is fair.

You can say he only got a 3rd instead of a 2nd, but he traded down and still got what is looking like to be one of the steals of the draft with that 1st round pick. St.Louis went from the 29th pick to the 25th pick, it wasn't a huge jump(and it was late in the draft) so it's not surprising that there wasn't a 2nd thrown in.

Slow playing the deals for the kids? He had 1 off-season to get them signed, and obviously Matthews and Marner were going to bet on themselves.

Sparks hasn't been good this year no doubt, but how many teams would pass up on a goalie his age that just had the year had, over a goalie in his late 30s etc. Sucks it didn't work out this season, but it can next season. Holl and Marancin are what they are, depth players that shouldn't be on your roster if all things are going well, unfortunately with injuries to Gardiner, Dermott, Rosen and Borgman this is what you get(and Babcock's horniness for them)

Say what you want for Dubas, and he could be a HUGE failure but so far in his less than a year as boss he has...

Signed a franchise center in Tavares
Acquired a top pairing Dman in Muzzin WITHOUT giving up Kapanen, Johnsson, Sandin or Liljegren.
Drafted Sandin

Not a bad 1st year at all.

I'm telling you, it's only coming off like you have it out for Dubas.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
A lot of those points can be challenged, I think you just have it out for him.

You can criticize him for the Nylander saga, but if the reports were true that the Nylander camp was asking for 8+ million, of course the negotiation was going to take long. And in the end, he signed for less of a cap-hit(relative) to Pastrnak, which I think everyone would think is fair.

You can say he only got a 3rd instead of a 2nd, but he traded down and still got what is looking like to be one of the steals of the draft with that 1st round pick. St.Louis went from the 29th pick to the 25th pick, it wasn't a huge jump(and it was late in the draft) so it's not surprising that there wasn't a 2nd thrown in.

Slow playing the deals for the kids? He had 1 off-season to get them signed, and obviously Matthews and Marner were going to bet on themselves.

Sparks hasn't been good this year no doubt, but how many teams would pass up on a goalie his age that just had the year had, over a goalie in his late 30s etc. Sucks it didn't work out this season, but it can next season. Holl and Marancin are what they are, depth players that shouldn't be on your roster if all things are going well, unfortunately with injuries to Gardiner, Dermott, Rosen and Borgman this is what you get(and Babcock's horniness for them)

Say what you want for Dubas, and he could be a HUGE failure but so far in his less than a year as boss he has...

Signed a franchise center in Tavares
Acquired a top pairing Dman in Muzzin WITHOUT giving up Kapanen, Johnsson, Sandin or Liljegren.
Drafted Sandin

Not a bad 1st year at all.

I'm telling you, it's only coming off like you have it out for Dubas.
all i hear from you and others are endless excuses and spin

-a team a couple of spots a head of us traded down the same number of spots and got a 2nd , that gets ignored for some reason

-Willie was rumored to be asking for 8 , well yea players start high and the team starts low but that doesn't explain the rumors that Dubas was rumored to be still at 6 per on a long term deal in Nov and rumored to have offered close to 4m per on a 4yr deal at that same time when your saying 7m per was fair or that Marner's agent said Dubas was low balling him in the summer and now MM's ask at that time is going to look cheap compared to what he signs for

-any GM who could evaluate a player would have realized Sparkie wasn't a NHL goalie , the guy has piss poor rebound control , can't track a puck and his technique is awful but hey he's 25 so we'll go with that excuse

-and then there's also Holl and Maricin who already failed but were Dube's boys on the Marlies so they too got gifted spots to the determent of the team

yea he signed JT but he came here because he was leaving a crap team and we had a great young core , sure people can believe it was the Dubes power point presentation but that's f***ing non sense

Muzzin is a solid 2nd pair D and while we didn't give up a guy off our roster we still overpaid and sellers at the t/d aren't fixated on getting a roster players back , they just look at the best offer regardless of what it includes

anyway we can go back and forth all day but it'd be a waste of time because i've learned from the rabid Burke fan club that the "true fans" don't give a damn about having a honest discussion , they just have to defend every f***ing move the team makes because that's what "true fans" have to do

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Do 2 x $750K and even make it a one way.
That should be enough to scare teams from making a waiver claim. Then send him to the Marlies for a year of full time playing and let's see what we can do with him.
I think that's the contract, I don't think he ends up with the Marlies, we need cheap viable depth next year

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
I will be honest with Dubas when he messes up, but how many have been huge messes?

You're biggest arguments are complaining about a back-up goalie and depth dmen, what does that tell you?

The biggest problems on this team are left over from Lou, and that's Zaitsev and Marleau's contracts.

And for your trading down point, when your pick is going from the 25th lower, history has shown that you don't get 2nd thrown in.

2018: St. Louis Blues acquire No. 25 pick in 2018 NHL Draft from Toronto Maple Leafs for No. 29 and No. 76 picks.

2017: Chicago Blackhawks acquire a 2017 first-round pick (No. 29) and a 2017 third-round pick (No. 70) from the Dallas Stars for a 2017 first-round pick (No. 26).

2016:The Washington Capitals' first-round pick(26th) went to the St.Louis Blues as the result of a trade on June 24, 2016 that sent a first-round pick(28th) and Washington's third-round pick both in 2016 (28th and 87th overall) to Washington in exchange for this pick

That's three straight years where a team that doesn't pick higher than 25th only got a 3rd as a sweetener.

You're probably thinking of the of the Rangers giving up a 2nd to jump to 22, but the Leafs weren't giving up the 22nd pick so yeah...

People will criticize Dubas when he deserves it, but as of right now, you're just piling on him for your own reasons(which are nothing).

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Who is Petans agent?

Probably licking his lips right now in anticipation of bending Dubas over and sticking it to him.

Dubas says "we were lucky to get a guy like Petan locked up for the next 2 years at only 4 million per." And then said "why does my butt hurt....did I go fishing"?

Yes, because he didn't sign Moore for $775k or Rosen for $750k?

This will be two years, one-way, $7-800k.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I think that's the contract, I don't think he ends up with the Marlies, we need cheap viable depth next year
I don't think him sitting in the press box next season does either side any good.
He's clearly no good under those circumstances. Let him go down to the Marlies and be an important player and, hopefully, build off it.
Having the best popcorn eater in the league isn't not that valuable.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I don't think him sitting in the press box next season does either side any good.
He's clearly no good under those circumstances. Let him go down to the Marlies and be an important player and, hopefully, build off it.

There's a good chance he ends up on the day to day roster. And even if he doesn't someone has to be the 13th forward. Having ours be able to play both C and W and play in the top 9 for under a million while still having some upside is valuable.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Petan needs waivers to go down so it seems Dubas tends to hand out 1-way contracts and then keep them on the NHL roster.

It might come down to Petan replaces Ennis next year.

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
Not that this would happen, but with GOAT out:

Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Petan - Matthews - Nylander
Johnsson - Kadri - Kapanen
Moore - Marleau - Brown
Ennis

That gives Matthews two set up guys on either side, would have to get Petan to play 'greasy'. I just don't see Petan as a centre on this team, he would obviously capitalize on his skillset playing with 2 superstars.

Reactions: Crysis

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad