Confirmed with Link: Petan re-signs for 2 years (775k AAV)

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
Petan sat for months when Ehlers wasnt scoring and Laine wasnt scoring. Why does he deserve to play anywhere in the top 6 on the Leafs?
Because there's no use for a player like him unless he's playing with scorers. Kadri has a nice shot as well so maybe pair him with him instead.
And what happened with him in WPG is all the more proof he hasn't been used properly in the NHL. Play him with at least one line mate that can score or don't keep him around at all.

Players like Johnsson and Kapanen score goals, they can make things happen on their own. Petan isn't that, he's 100% dependent on having the proper line mates.

Last edited:

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
I'm sorry but I really haven't seen anything to suggest he's capable of doing what you're suggesting.
I'd rather have a vet eat popcorn and try and see if we can develop the talent this kid has.
Watching from up top and playing spot duty has not helped him so far.

The thing is... a vet is going to want more money. We need that 13th spot at as low of a hit as we can get.

He really hasnt had the chance to prove or disprove himself here. Saying otherwise is simply jumping to conclusions.

I think any deal for him is helping him one way or another.

Let's put it this way. If Petan didnt like what Dubas and Babcock had in store for.him as far as usage he wouldn't sign the deal.

Reactions: Dermott The Frog

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
The thing is... a vet is going to want more money. We need that 13th spot at as low of a hit as we can get.

He really hasnt had the chance to prove or disprove himself here. Saying otherwise is simply jumping to conclusions.

I think any deal for him is helping him one way or another.

Let's put it this way. If Petan didnt like what Dubas and Babcock had in store for.him as far as usage he wouldn't sign the deal.
He's in the same spot he was in with Peg.
It's time to change the status quo.
Get him time on the farm and see if we have a player. He's not going to do anything on the 4th line.

Reactions: The Blueprint

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
He's in the same spot he was in with Peg.
It's time to change the status quo.
Get him time on the farm and see if we have a player. He's not going to do anything on the 4th line.

If they can find another bottom dollar contract to fill his spot they just might.
It's about filling those bottom spots as cheaply as possible.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
If they can find another bottom dollar contract to fill his spot they just might.
It's about filling those bottom spots as cheaply as possible.
Oh, I totally get that.
Not sure what dollar figures Duby has in mind for the 4th line but I'm sure he'll get it worked out.
We do have a lot to offer. We do know we have player who want to come here to try and resurect their careers.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
Because there's no use for a player like him unless he's playing with scorers. Kadri has a nice shot as well so maybe pair him with him instead.
And what happened with him in WPG is all the more proof he hasn't been used properly in the NHL. Play him with at least one line mate that can score or don't keep him around at all.

Players like Johnsson and Kapanen score goals, they can make things happen on their own. Petan isn't that, he's 100% dependent on having the proper line mates.

BYE BYE PETAN! there is no room in the top 6 for you bud!

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Good deal. Come cap crunch time... they need quite a few guys on deals like this. Hopefully he can step it up a bit more.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Petan was signed to replace Ennis before he cashes in and in two years someone else will replace Petan. Low cost high reward type signings. If he doesn't work out they'll bury his entire salary.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
He probably should have received less than Moore, but it is so little, who really cares.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
He probably should have received less than Moore, but it is so little, who really cares.

The league minimum is 700k going into next season so its hard to argue they are worth any less than what they signed for even if they are the 13th forward.

Edit: Moore will probably be a better value contract, but the Petan contract should still be good value itself.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Hyman-Tavares-(Marner)
Marleau-Matthews-Nylander
(Johnsson)Kadri-(Kapanen)
Petan-Goat-Moore
Timashov

Rielly-Dermott
Muzzin-Zaitsev
Rosen- (Ozighanov/Liljgren)
Holl

Andersen
Sparks

=68.25m

= 14.75 for Marner/Kap/AJ/6 RHD
9-10 for marner, 1 for the d, leaves 3.75-4.75 for Kap and AJ.

Possible on single year bridges, but more likely trade one for futures and let Moore/Petan/Bracco/Aaltonen fight for a top 9 spot

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
That's a perfectly good deal for a depth player. Hopefully with some consistent minutes next year he can have an Ennis like impact. Second year is really nice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad