Confirmed with Link: Petan re-signs for 2 years (775k AAV)

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Size isn't the end all, be all .. Bozak was 6'1 and JVR was 6'3 - they were soft as butter as well.

Regardless of size you need guys that are willing to grind, engage, and be physical ... That being said you should strive for players that are strong enough to hold their own and keep up with that kind of game.

Soshnikov was a good example of a player that brought this "grit" but didn't have the physical size for the NHL, so he's going to continue to get injured. Petan is almost similar (with more skill no doubt) in the fact that he seems to lack the strength to play that sort of game .. Seems like he falls easily and doesn't win battles.

Ennis is a good example of a small player who can hold his own in those tight checking games.

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
Great deal. Skill and hockey IQ on a cheap deal for two years. Heck yeah! Little to no risk involved, potentially very rewarding as a depth player & 2nd PP unit contributor. Love Petan, he's a good little player, excited to see him get more chances in the lineup the next two seasons.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Take a look the last 3,4,5 cup winners and count the number of roster players under a 1 million cap hit.

Do me a favour though and make sure to quote me with a response rather than editing this post with your relocated goal posts

No question when you have elite players and sign them to big AAV contracts you need to find bargain deals to be cap compliant. No argument here !!

The key point here is that since Leafs will have the highest AAV contracts, so more than any team will need more players on near league minimum.

There is a correlation however between a players salary and his impact/contribution to the team outside of ELC contracts. If a player is making near league minimum in contract that means he also will have a low impact on the team generally and just depth.

You seem to be excited about a bunch of low cost players being signed like Petan to fill out the roster, but I'm looking it from a league min = low impact and pressbox to depth 3rd pairing and 4th line players. Its a necessary evil because of how much AM + JT+ MM etc make, not because we really excited or want Petan, Holl, Sparks, Rosen etc as key players for success.

Glass half full vs glass half empty perspective, and no goal posts being moved. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Keon1963

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
You seem to be excited about a bunch of low cost players being signed like Petan to fill out the roster, but I'm looking it from a league min = low impact and pressbox to depth 3rd pairing and 4th line players. Its a necessary evil because of how much AM + JT+ MM etc make, not because we really excited or want Petan, Holl, Sparks, Rosen etc as key players for success.

Glass half full vs glass half empty perspective, and no goal posts being moved. :)

Posting factual summaries qualifies as excitement to you?

There's been a lot of doom an gloom on these boards about cap constraints, on how after the big guns are signed we'll only have xx dollars for xx # of players as if filling out the bottom of the roster cheaply is going to be some insurmountable hurdle. That we have good depth options locked up already completely defangs those "arguments"

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
I’d guess Oz is up next.
Then maybe Timashov and Carcone? See if they get the two year deal offer to keep them in house.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

after years of wasting money on fungible bottom line plugs, you're damn right I'm excited to have a GM that understands how to get good bottom liners for peanuts, and spend his money on actual elite top line talent instead.

damn right.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
Petan .775
Goat .675
Moore .775
Holl .675
Sparks .75
Dermott .863
Rosen .75

= 5.263 for 7 roster spots.

Cheap labour but all AHL quality except Dermott, not that there's anything wrong with watching the AHL if you're paying AHL ticket prices. New NHL=1/4 of a team of AHLers at full ticket prices so the stars that can't be bothered playing defence or hitting get paid more than they're worth.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Cheap labour but all AHL quality except Dermott, not that there's anything wrong with watching the AHL if you're paying AHL ticket prices. New NHL=1/4 of a team of AHLers at full ticket prices so the stars that can't be bothered playing defence or hitting get paid more than they're worth.
No one's an NHLer till they are. The only pure AHL level player on that list is Holl and with Sandin/Liljegren waiver exempt and ready to make NHL noise I doubt he see's any time beyond single game stints on road trips. Sparks is a back up goalie. Moore/Rosen promising prospects set to graduate. Goat/Petan legitimate bottom 6 NHLers

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
after years of wasting money on fungible bottom line plugs, you're damn right I'm excited to have a GM that understands how to get good bottom liners for peanuts, and spend his money on actual elite top line talent instead.

damn right.
Didn't he sign Lindholm as well?
Jury is still very much on whether Petan is good, he certainly hasn't wowed us yet.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
No question when you have elite players and sign them to big AAV contracts you need to find bargain deals to be cap compliant. No argument here !!

The key point here is that since Leafs will have the highest AAV contracts, so more than any team will need more players on near league minimum.

There is a correlation however between a players salary and his impact/contribution to the team outside of ELC contracts. If a player is making near league minimum in contract that means he also will have a low impact on the team generally and just depth.

Imo one of the biggest myths in hockey today in presuming higher salaries for depth pieces means higher quality.

The three worst contracts on the Leafs today are expensive depth: Marleau, Zaitsev and Brown.

RLF

May 5, 2014
Didn't he sign Lindholm as well?
Jury is still very much on whether Petan is good, he certainly hasn't wowed us yet.

Yea, I don't get the fascination with Petan. He has been...ok. So many seem to have him penciled in for years or something already. I don't think he has been any better than Moore or Ennis personally. I would actually say not as good as either.

Reactions: ACC1224

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

damn right.

Jury's still out on whether Petan will be of any actual use to the Leafs. If he doesn't work out, he won't be any better than Colton Orr just because he's skillsy.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Yea, I don't get the fascination with Petan. He has been...ok. So many seem to have him penciled in for years or something already. I don't think he has been any better than Moore or Ennis personally. I would actually say not as good as either.

It's all well and good to try and get some hockey out of a reclamation project and I get he's a former WJC star and whatnot but I don't get the fascination.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Though at the end of the day there was zero downside trying Lidholm out

Regarding the Leivo and Lindholm deals, I would have actually preferred a couple of draft picks back instead of Petan or Carcone to get the scouts something to work with.

Reactions: noway

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Regarding the Leivo and Lindholm deals, I would have actually preferred a couple of draft picks back instead of Petan or Carcone to get the scouts something to work with.

I can see that, though also depends on whether other teams were willing to give up picks

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Would be curious to know if they're thinking about taking a run at re-signing Ennis on a similar deal.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I think they’ll make him an offer, but he’ll probably be able to get more money elsewhere.

Will depend on how much he liked playing here

And potential opportunity

If he thinks he could get 3rd line usage he may be more inclined to hang around for another year

Reactions: Menzinger

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Would be curious to know if they're thinking about taking a run at re-signing Ennis on a similar deal.
I think Ennis probably waits until after July 1st, we helped them out so he can see whats out there. If we move Marleau and nothing else fits I could see something in the 2 year, $1.5AAV range.

Or we pick up a guy or two in a similar situation to fill some holes on the roster. Carcone, Timashov, and Marchment need waivers next year I believe though so there may not be room.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad