Confirmed with Link: Petan re-signs for 2 years (775k AAV)

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Even if he's garbage Lindholm was worse.

People here loved him here the first half of the season. Not me, just a lot of people, mostly Leivo haters.

No risk, see what the trainers can do with him. I'd say dump him into extreme training and near kill him. It's pretty much a massive salvage job on a player a lot of people liked in Jr.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
He is ok for the money. We need a few guys who can play at low CAPs. But he is useless against Boston and Washington.

Xanner

Aug 2, 2009
I'm not on the dubas hate train like some posters here are, but if dubas doesn't bring some size and toughness to balance out the roster a bit i'm going to be disappointed, you'd be surprised how much more confident our players would be knowing there are a few players that have their back and that can throw down when needed.

Its painful to see how soft the leafs are right now.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I'm not on the dubas hate train like some posters here are, but if dubas doesn't bring some size and toughness to balance out the roster a bit i'm going to be disappointed, you'd be surprised how much more confident our players would be knowing there are a few players that have their back and that can throw down when needed.

NHL is becoming so soft and lame that Robotic Hockey League will likely usurp audiences. Faster shots, harder hits. Oh yeah. Humans are offices and couches in the future.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
People here loved him here the first half of the season. Not me, just a lot of people, mostly Leivo haters.

No risk, see what the trainers can do with him. I'd say dump him into extreme training and near kill him. It's pretty much a massive salvage job on a player a lot of people liked in Jr.

I think people just liked the idea of getting a guy for free from Europe so naturally you’re positive toward him. Same thing happened with Oz (who also had the benefit of playing with Dermott).

It became increasingly obvious that he wasn’t doing much on the ice. That plus Goat’s emergence as a serviceable 4C made him very expendable. Getting any player with upside even if it’s a long shot is awesome.

IMO Dubas has his faults but for as cliche as it sounds, he shines at exploiting inefficinecies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I'd still bring Aaltonen over and let those two fight it out for the 4th line LW spot next year. Petan should get some defensive training so he can provide a little bit more versatility. It was the same thing Aaltonen, Moore, Johnsson, Kapanen, etc. all went through to develop their games. Even if he does not end up being a PKer, at the very least the 4th line could be a potential shutdown line with offensive potential.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Cheap depth we can bury in the minors with no NHL cap hit if we need to
Nice little depth deal

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Petan .775
Goat .675
Moore .775
Holl .675
Sparks .75
Dermott .863
Rosen .75

= 5.263 for 7 roster spots.
Beautiful, In a hard cap world your 4th line, third pairing D, press box filler and back should all be near league minimum AAV so you can maximize expenditures on your parts of your roster who impact the game the most. Top 6/9 fwds top 4 D and your goalie. This is one thing Dubas has absolutely right

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008

last night the other team ran our goalie and not only did they not respond but Patrick Marleau picked the players stick up and handed it back to him. The stick he dropped running our goalie.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Not bad if the goal is to build a Marlies roster. ;)

If you're trying to build an NHL cup contending roster then not so much.

I'd dress Dermott and put the other 6 in the pressbox.
Probably by signing a bunch of meatheads to over inflated deals meaning that we would have to sacrifice actual top of the roster talent to be compliant with the cap.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

I understand the thought process in what he's doing, but generally I find we are overstocked in the 5'9" to 5'10" "skill guy" department as an organization. I understand if you're taking a flyer to find the next DeBrincat or Point or Gaudreau and need to get through a lot of junk to unearth one, and that a small skill guy may give you more punch offensively than a brutal 6'2" depth guy who can't skate. But there's a very large middle ground.

Just looking at the Tampa Washington game last night, everyone was flying a million miles an hour, hitting everything, etc. There were certainly enough small guys on either team making an impact, but also tons of middle six, top nine forwards with size who can play that boring all situation hockey. Sometimes you need guys like JT Miller, Tom Wilson, etc.

Xanner

Aug 2, 2009
last night the other team ran our goalie and not only did they not respond but Patrick Marleau picked the players stick up and handed it back to him. The stick he dropped running our goalie.

Yeah i remember that play, its frustrating, we have nobody that can respond so they usually all look away, if you add a couple of players that are tough and don't take any crap from anyone it would rub off on some of our other players, kadri would start playing with more of an edge like he used to because he would know that he has some back up instead of being left alone on an island like he would be right now.

Reactions: Dough72

Xanner

Aug 2, 2009
I understand the thought process in what he's doing, but generally I find we are overstocked in the 5'9" to 5'10" "skill guy" department as an organization. I understand if you're taking a flyer to find the next DeBrincat or Point or Gaudreau and need to get through a lot of junk to unearth one, and that a small skill guy may give you more punch offensively than a brutal 6'2" depth guy who can't skate. But there's a very large middle ground.

Just looking at the Tampa Washington game last night, everyone was flying a million miles an hour, hitting everything, etc. There were certainly enough small guys on either team making an impact, but also tons of middle six, top nine forwards with size who can play that boring all situation hockey. Sometimes you need guys like JT Miller, Tom Wilson, etc.

Yeah that game was awesome last night, every team needs tough players to go along with their skilled ones, i really wish we could have landed simmonds this year, he would have helped our group a lot.

Too many janes on this roster and not enough tarzan's.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Yeah that game was awesome last night, every team needs tough players to go along with their skilled ones, i really wish we could have landed simmonds this year, he would have helped our group a lot.

Too many janes on this roster and not enough tarzan's.

We need an athletic upgrade on Marleau and Brown.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad