Confirmed with Link: Per Friedman, Leafs and Zaitsev have agreed to move on, will find trade for him

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I think they retain $1M or the deal involves something with warts coming back.

Not if they don't want to. Maybe it opens up the number of suitors and drives the price up, but we won't have to do it.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
If we can't get an asset for him, I wonder if he'd just void his contract and go home?

What does that do to the cap? They could send him to the Marlies and only retain a portion of the cap hit.
I’m having a toddy after being in the sun all day so I’m not reading the CBA tonight.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
giphy.gif
Need to know who she is for research purposes

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
With his Don Cherry comments he would be perfect for Carolina.
I'd love to see Zaitsev thrive as a Hurricane - I'm disappointed that his last couple years were so rough, and I do believe that there's a good player in there that might be able to thrive in a little less spotlight.

I really feel for the guy - His 2017/18 campaign was a hellish whirlwind of injuries, illness, and exhaustion, and the majority of our fanbase basically shat all over him for not recovering immediately. His contract is unfortunate, and I've been a big proponent of trying to get it off our books, but the personal aspect of it all leaves a bit of a pit in my gut - I'm glad he's trying to move on, on his own terms, and hope he's able to find the right situation for himself and his family. Carolina could certainly be that, if they have any modicum of interest in acquiring him.

Reactions: sparxx87

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I think the only real difference in that first year was that he played on the PP. And he never should have, considering we had two clearly better options.

He wasn't being asked to kill the full 2 minutes of penalty in first year like he was at times last year particularly.

I won't argue his outlet passing is an issue in his game though.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Not too surprising considering the comments. Perhaps some tire kicking was already done on this around the trade deadline as well. Still a bit interesting to go from a long term contract to being mutually interested in a trade in a relatively short time span.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Ah next year is just shaping up better and better.
Who knows what type of D we will have and what supporting cast.

If anyone is poised for a down year...

Legendary

Sep 1, 2016
These are the players they want to win with lol. Any other fragile players want to leave? Speak up now.

Go4soda

Dec 15, 2015
Hainsey will be signed for 1 or 2 years by the beginning of the season.
I was about to say this too. Either hainsey, or a hainsey -type signing. Another short term guy that has had some success, and is a minute muncher type.

NiL8r87

Jun 30, 2009
He wasn't utilized in the right way by Babcock. The first year was about right, but these last two he's had way too much defensive responsibility.

If a team uses him with more of a balance, he'll likely preform better.

What way do you think he needs to be utilized in order to make a proper breakout pass?

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
Sad news. Wanted to see more of him and Muzzin, that was a very good pairing in the playoffs.

Marmoset

Apr 4, 2015
GTA
Sad news. Wanted to see more of him and Muzzin, that was a very good pairing in the playoffs.

I'd like to see if he can get back to being the guy he was in his first season. But, if we can move the contract we have to, that's a huge commitment for someone who isn't playing to that level at a time when we need flexibility.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
If they retain anything, they retain the player.

I don't think that's an option except in a theoretical sense. Once he says he wants out, if he isn't Jacob Trouba you move him. His wart is his contract and if it is shaved down he becomes more valuable to any club. He isn't Brent Seabrook, he is just a bit overpriced and the less he costs, the more clubs can fit him in and the better return you can hope for. He will be 32 in the last year of his contract, so not ancient, but that is still 5 years away and the uncertainty of how any player ages makes the post 30 years a hard sell. I think that's too much term not to expect to retain anything but I guess we'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad