Confirmed with Link: Per Friedman, Leafs and Zaitsev have agreed to move on, will find trade for him

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
How bad is Larsson? Was thinking maybe a swap between him and Zaitsev because maybe a fresh start for both could be good but I'm not sure if Larsson is an upgrade or a downgrade or a neutral move. All I know is Larsson only has 2 years left on his deal for slightly less than Zaitsevs contract.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I don't think that's an option except in a theoretical sense. Once he says he wants out, if he isn't Jacob Trouba you move him. His wart is his contract and if it is shaved down he becomes more valuable to any club. He isn't Brent Seabrook, he is just a bit overpriced and the less he costs, the more clubs can fit him in and the better return you can hope for. He will be 32 in the last year of his contract, so not ancient, but that is still 5 years away and the uncertainty of how any player ages makes the post 30 years a hard sell. I think that's too much term not to expect to retain anything but I guess we'll see.

I get it, but I don’t like retain salary and then turn around and try to replace him with a cheaper contract offsetting his retention. It may work, I don’t know, but how many guys are signed for the same term that theLeafs could acquire.

Tough job for Dubas. I wish Zaitsev had stayed quiet, but I don’t know why wants out.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Zaitsev is probably tired of getting shit on 24/7 in Toronto. Bad for ones mental health. Probably wants a small market team, but the Leafs should take the best deal available.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
To me this seems like Ron Hainsey back.

Rielly - Hainsey
Muzzin - Colin Miller
Dermott - Liljegren

Would still probably have to move on from Kapanen/Johnsson

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I don’t know of anyone that thinks those two are NHL ready.

tenor.gif

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Huh? I’m saying the first “significant” player to leave/want out of Toronto due to Babcock. He was never put in a position to succeed. He even complains about never getting Ozone time

That doesn't make him a Babcock casualty. He was relied upon to be a shutdown guy because we have much better offensive options. Yeah I'm sure he'd want more offensive time and when he was signed they hoped he'd be a top pairing guy with Rielly but that pair didn't work out. It's more of a casualty of the old management group. Babcock trusted the guy more than anybody on these boards.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
What way do you think he needs to be utilized in order to make a proper breakout pass?

Well he does get more DZS than the other defencemen. There was also wider concerns about the break outs and use of the stretch pass. Perhaps he was trying his best to do what was asked.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Zaitsev, Johnsson for Larsson, Kassian

2nd 2020, 3rd 2019, Connor Brown for Colin Miller

Rielly - - Larsson
Muzzin - - Miller
Rosen - Dermott

Very Respectable D-Core

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Zaitsev, Johnsson for Larsson, Kassian

2nd 2020, 3rd 2019, Connor Brown for Colin Miller

Rielly - - Larsson
Muzzin - - Miller
Rosen - Dermott

Very Respectable D-Core

Also far too expensive, and that is way too much for Miller.

Just make it Zaitsev + Brown for Larsson + a pick, then use the cap space to sign the forwards.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Two proposals:

Zaitsev + Brown for Pysyk and Reimer (Leafs buyout/trade/waive Reimer); the money is close to equal.

Zaitsev + contract spot marlie for Honka and Cogliano

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Interesting to me that this organization can no longer do anything without having it out in the media.

Zaitsev trade is out there now which will hurt his trade value.

GM talked openly about the nylander progress which led to difficulties getting the deal done.

Marner deal has turned into a circus.

The previous GM did a much better job of keeping everything internal. Wonder if it's a deal where agents and players don't respect the young GM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad