Confirmed with Link: Per Friedman, Leafs and Zaitsev have agreed to move on, will find trade for him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Easy there big fella, he hasn't been traded yet

I didn't dislike the player if I'm being honest, his puck skills are horrible and he feels pressure like a bugger but he could do a job with the right partner

That contract though, woof

He can be fine with the right partner and usage, but that contract is just nasty.

I may be an internal optimist but at this point I'd say hes as good as gone. Way too many signs pointing to the case: leads need cap, player doesnt seem want to stay....

Reactions: Kiwi

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Muzzin and Rielly together could still be in the mix. They were pretty good together to me. I'm sure it will be revisited.

There's definitely going to be an addition to the right side. Very likely someone that can put up more than 3 primary points in over a calendar year.

Liljegren, barring a bad camp, should get a chance to pair up with Rosen.

I'd put money on us chasing Miller out of Vegas, money

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'd put money on us chasing Miller out of Vegas, money

He's very high on the list of suitors for sure. Makes a lot of sense too.

Trouba might be looked at as well, but that will require a heck of a trade and a lot of moving pieces.

Reactions: Kiwi

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
He can be fine with the right partner and usage, but that contract is just nasty.

I may be an internal optimist but at this point I'd say hes as good as gone. Way too many signs pointing to the case: leads need cap, player doesnt seem want to stay....

Thing is we need to find a taker, we can't retain or take back salary ideally so that does limit our options but I do believe there is a market for Zaitsev

I'm just not sure how big it is

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009

The contract isn't that bad. To put in relative terms, jeff fingers contract would be over $5 million per year today

It's only bad in the context of maximizing our roster, but it's fair value

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
It feels like there is a blockbuster coming. The Leafs cannot take the chance at missing the playoffs next year.
Now, having the player come out and request the trade publicly is not the best scenario for the Leafs.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
He's very high on the list of suitors for sure. Makes a lot of sense too.

Trouba might be looked at as well, but that will require a heck of a trade and a lot of moving pieces.

There were rumours we were big game hunting around the TDL with a lot of moving pieces so they could revisit that again, I think a puck moving top4 RD is is coming our way though

Miller makes sense from an availability, cost and play style POV, doesn't hurt that Dubas has had some contact with him in the Soo either

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The contract isn't that bad. To put in relative terms, jeff fingers contract would be over $5 million per year today

It's only bad in the context of maximizing our roster, but it's fair value

Compare it to hainsey- a better D man, who signed for lower cap and term.

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region

So let me get this straight, you're telling me that the other 30 GM's didn't have a secret meeting where they orchestrated a plan to cripple the Leafs remaining cap space by putting the screws to them on any potential trade instead of focusing on their own team's needs?... But the main boards told me different.

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
I think they will trade him to the rangers. they have a bunch of high end young Russian prospects incoming and it would be good to have someone that can translate for the coaches.

I also think he will garner a positive return. he is only 27. and in a couple years his contract isn't going to look that bad. he had a great playoffs. I don't think it will cost us to trade him we may hate the contract but to be fair its not a albatross in any way. he is still a serviceable 4-6 was pretty good when he wasn't attached to gardiner he may be slightly over paid. but look around the league lesser have received more

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I never know quite what to make of Zaitsev... hard to rate him. Is he good? Does he suck? So many mixed opinions and I'm not quite sure where I stand.

If there is a reasonable trade available, it's probably best to move him.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Probably going to have to part with a 2nd (or 1st) to get rid of that god-awful contract for a #6 d-man.

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
If Phaneuf can be traded without retention them it shouldn't be an issue for Zaitsev. It's not like he's over paid by 2-3 million per year.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I almost can't wait for him to get dealt just to see the stupid comments stop.

It's like the majority of people haven't even seen the guy play and are suddenly experts on him because they think they understand advanced stats.

Reactions: Fogelhund
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->