Confirmed with Link: Per Friedman, Leafs and Zaitsev have agreed to move on, will find trade for him

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Dubas has his work cut out...

OPENING NIGHT ROSTER: (Hyman & Dermott Out)

_____ - Matthews - Nylander
_____ - Tavares - Marner (Priority #1, Marner gets done - Dubas)
_____ - Kadri - _____
Marleau - _____ - _____

We have Moore, Marchement, Gauthier, Engvall, Bracco, Korshkov, Micheyev to under contract to fill the holes. Kapanen and Johnsson need contracts.

Rielly - _____
Muzzin - ____
Rosen - _____

We have Liljigren, Sandin and Borgman and Holl to fill these spots.

orbiter11

Sep 11, 2014
So basically:

Rielly-___
Muzzin-___
Rosen-___

To start the year. Dermott obviously comes back and reclaims that 3rd LHD spot. I mean a lot of people agreed the Leafs' D needs an overhaul.
Hainsey will be signed for 1 or 2 years by the beginning of the season.

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
According to various posts around here, Zaitsev is an offensive defenseman (who can't pass and rarely scores), a good penalty killer (on a PK that was average in the regular season and godawful in the playoffs), a playoff warrior (0G 2A -10 in 18GP), and miscast (agreed; he should be cast into a lake).

I haven't found any reasonable suggestions as to what he's actually good at besides the one guy who keeps posting about his playoff xGF%, which might mean something if his actual GF% weren't terrible.

Good riddance.

Reactions: NOLAPensFan

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I almost can't wait for him to get dealt just to see the stupid comments stop.

It's like the majority of people haven't even seen the guy play and are suddenly experts on him because they think they understand advanced stats.

He wasn't utilized in the right way by Babcock. The first year was about right, but these last two he's had way too much defensive responsibility.

If a team uses him with more of a balance, he'll likely preform better.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Kristen Shilton‏Verified account @kristen_shilton 1m1 minute ago
More
Dubas said #Leafs goal would be to get Nikita Zaitsev a fresh start for reasons personal to Zaitsev, but also, "it’s not any definitive type of 'he’s definitely not going to be back'" situation. Team can't offload him for bad return. Zaitsev's agent had no comment on matter
Yea this. Dubas isn't going to trade him if he's getting screwed over like the mainboards seem to believe. If a decent/good deal pops up he'll take it.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
He wasn't utilized in the right way by Babcock. The first year was about right, but these last two he's had way too much defensive responsibility.

If a team uses him with more of a balance, he'll likely preform better.
I think the only real difference in that first year was that he played on the PP. And he never should have, considering we had two clearly better options.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
I’m not as down on him as others but there’s an opportunity to get out from the remaining term on his contract we have to pull the trigger. Just hoping we can do so without bringing any salary back.

Should be interesting to see who steps into the top 4.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
7 years was always a tough term to manage with the way this team was on the rise. Not a terrible player, just someone they should move away from because the cap space is vital elsewhere (not even for Marner, but to improve in other positions).

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Yea this. Dubas isn't going to trade him if he's getting screwed over like the mainboards seem to believe. If a decent/good deal pops up he'll take it.

Which is how it always was I am pretty sure. If a team offers a 2ND, and I can see a few teams that will, he will probably go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad