Post-Game Talk: | Pens vs Sabres | loss | we didn’t get tased, we got trampled

Status
Not open for further replies.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Neither of them are really "scoring punch".
Not currently, but in the past they've both shown the same level of production as Kapanen. Gurianov was a monster in the playoffs for Dallas as well. All three appear to be struggling at the moment, they are all of similar ages and contracts...seems like a decent swap.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
People are just way too touchy about something that is frankly cut and dry. The leaders on this team have not been good enough during this streak, and their play erodes our structure rather than builds it. It's really this simple and it doesn't mean they are coach killers, bad leaders, or any of the other hysteria flying around twitter, or whatever. There's no reason to make excuses or point fingers elsewhere or explain it away as 'this is how they've always played coach around it' bullshit no it's not lol. Just be better. We all know what they are like when they are at the top of their games, and this is not even close.

Sullivan is also to blame for looking for any reason to reunite GCR, over-playing Letang and Dumo when they hemorrhage shots and goals against, continuing to guve Kappy and Carter sweaters and ice time for zero return, etc.

Two things can be true at once.

Reactions: Gumbercules

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Nothing really new to add here but he does mention that CDS has been the slightly better goalie to start the season, which I guess the #s support…but the goaltending certainly hasnt been special…I’m very disappointed in Jarry and really hope we’re not discussing a contract extension w him…

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
There are a couple changes we could make rn besides swapping Rust and Rakell…bring up Puustinen and Smith and bench Dumo and Kap…replace Letang on the PP…if he’s not going to shoot, then he must be replaced…apparently he has 41:27 TOI on the PP this season, and he has yet to record a shot on goal….
Jake-Sid-Rakell
zucker- Geno- Rust
Heinan-Blue/Carter-Puusty
McGinn-Poehlin/Blue-Archibald

Petts/POJ- Letang
Petts/POJ-Petry
Smith-Rutta

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
There are a couple changes we could make rn besides swapping Rust and Rakell…bring up Puustinen and Smith and bench Dumo and Kap…replace Letang on the PP…if he’s not going to shoot, then he must be replaced…apparently he has 41:27 TOI on the PP this season, and he has yet to record a shot on goal….
Jake-Sid-Rakell
zucker- Geno- Rust
Heinan-Blue/Carter-Puusty
McGinn-Poehlin/Blue-Archibald

Petts/POJ- Letang
Petts/POJ-Petry
Smith-Rutta

you cant just bench dumo or kap. you would have to waive them. that's not happening. the should look for trades. If they won't at the bare minimum swap rust and rakell why would anything else happen.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
you cant just bench dumo or kap. you would have to waive them. that's not happening. the should look for trades. If they won't at the bare minimum swap rust and rakell why would anything else happen.
I didn’t say this would happen lol…I know who we’re dealing with…it’s what I think should happen…more power to them if they can trade Dumo or Kap but either way I think both should sit rn

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
some of you need some Xanax The New ownership group isn't going to lose their Shit & demand trades 4 months after Oking keeping the gang together

Nothing really new to add here but he does mention that CDS has been the slightly better goalie to start the season, which I guess the #s support…but the goaltending certainly hasnt been special…I’m very disappointed in Jarry and really hope we’re not discussing a contract extension w him…

OH God that Douche Canoe

Reactions: Darren McCord

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
I hope this team and coaching staff knows the difference. But the goals yesterday make me doubt it.
I think very few people in the NHL care about xG at all, don't let its quasi-religious defenders on HF or Twitter lead you to think otherwise. The Penguins also let a guy receive the puck, then wind up and take a slapper from the slot yesterday, they were just playing bad defense in general

Reactions: ZorkEnchanter

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Best thing that ever happened to this board as of lately (for me) is the penguins going on a nose dive streak...
Wild stuff... hilarious stuff both on here and on the ice =]
(and good stuff. not saying there isn't quality posts... there's lot of those)

Also when it comes to the roster construction and qualms thereof I'm guessing everyone thinks Mike Sullivan has no input there, right? Hmmmm.

Wanna buy some seaside property in lovely Arizona?
How about some nice property "east of Mumbai"

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
If it gets bad enough to the point they are making major changes like that and they fire Hextall and not Sullivan, I will lose my shit. The roster is not perfect, but it's a playoff team. It's the same thing as when JR was here, too. There were major problems there, but the roster was not lose to the 24th in the league Canadiens bad. Or get swept by the Isles bad.
Prepare to lose your shit. Sullivan will be staying, regardless of what happens over the next 6 month. If the dumpster fire continues, Hextall will be the sacrificial lamb.

Nothing is like burning your own village down....
Sometimes you have to destroy the village to save it.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Honestly don’t see it. Sully seems like the cord they cut if it gets that bad.
Logically I agree with you, but I don't think that is the way these guys operate. The NE connection, the extension, the PO streak and the the two cups guarantees he survives the season. I would be game to entertain a friendly wager on this question. Hextall goes- I win; Sully axed- you win; both go- its a push (I almost typed "we both win", whoops).

• Haha

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Prepare to lose your shit. Sullivan will be staying, regardless of what happens over the next 6 month. If the dumpster fire continues, Hextall will be the sacrificial lamb.

Sometimes you have to destroy the village to save it.

Not saying Hextall's built a perfect roster, but why would the GM be the one to go instead of the coach if the teams fails due to looking disorganized? "Lack of talent" doesn't seem to be the issue holding this team back.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Logically I agree with you, but I don't think that is the way these guys operate. The NE connection, the extension, the PO streak and the the two cups guarantees he survives the season. I would be game to entertain a friendly wager on this question. Hextall goes- I win; Sully axed- you win; both go- its a push (I almost typed "we both win", whoops).

Let's make it a little more for keeps. Who ever loses has to give up their first born.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
That's fine if ownership doesn't want to fix anything

Pens are pretty much already relegated to "let me check the app and see what the box score says - - oh, hahaha" at this point anyway

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
That's fine if ownership doesn't want to fix anything

Pens are pretty much already relegated to "let me check the app and see what the box score says - - oh, hahaha" at this point anyway

Yeah honestly I feel kinda dumb even getting mad about this team. Or irritated at other perfectly nice people... for the most part... for their opinions on the team.

I was always fine with the retirement lap, I suppose. Still feel if it's what these guys wanted to do then that's cool. They deserve that. I still think this team is far better than this and I also still think there are things that can be done to make them even better. Some of which maybe should have already been done. And of course some things that absolutely should NOT have been done. But this is also kind of a potential consequence to running it back, too. These guys are old af and have a lot of tough miles on them. I should be mindful of that.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Not saying Hextall's built a perfect roster, but why would the GM be the one to go instead of the coach if the teams fails due to looking disorganized? "Lack of talent" doesn't seem to be the issue holding this team back.
Outside of HFBoards, Sully has an outstanding reputation. He's going nowhere. And I'm not saying Hextall should go, but if he does, it will be symbolic as much as anything.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Outside of HFBoards, Sully has an outstanding reputation. He's going nowhere. And I'm not saying Hextall should go, but if he does, it will be symbolic as much as anything.
I don't think it's a case of Sullivan not being seen as a good coach. It's more a case of questioning whether he's the coach for this club, at this point in time. So the idea that people want him gone because he's an idiot who has no clue how to coach is a bit faulty. It's no different than the Islanders parting ways with Trotz or the Bruins parting ways with Cassidy. Doesn't mean both of them are morons.

Having said that, I think that's a really flawed way for an organization to run a club. You don't just look at whether or not Coach X would be sought after around the league if he was available, you assess whether he's still getting the most out of your specific club. And I question whether that's happening anymore.

I mean, I'm not saying you're wrong. Ownership does seem to love him based on the extension. I'm saying it's a questionable way to run things to get rid of a GM (who is in charge of roster building) instead of a coach (who is in charge of getting said roster to play to their capabilities) when the current product seems to be failing on the latter side and not because of the former.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad