Post-Game Talk: | Pens vs Sabres | loss | we didn’t get tased, we got trampled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I meant for the core three, it's only a problem if as friends they don't hold eachother accountable. I absolutely do not expect a newbie to call out a 3 time Cup champ, and hope that would never be needed. Between the three of them, they need to sort eachother out first and then sort the rest of the gus out who aren't on board with what needs to happen. I have confidence they will.
Where do we get the whole “if only someone would call our core out that would solve all our problems” theory of why the Pens are bad?…lol..Tocchet? That’s so lame…if Malkin was called out by Cullen, etc a million times in the past for his stupid mistakes, and the mistakes keep happening, then what makes anyone think the call-out made a difference…the fact of the matter is the core, particularly as they age, are not going to give full effort on every play, and it might not even be effort…it might be that they’re slowing and can’t actually get to a puck in time…everyone needs to stop trying to get inside the players heads and psychoanalyze lol…Sid and G and Letang play like they do because that who they are and always have been…they prioritize generating offense in the RS, they try to make risky plays, and they don’t always put in max effort at times during the game…they also generate a lot of points…get over it…the coach needs to find ways to work with that since theyre here and signed, and it’s probably going to get worse as they age

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Also when it comes to the roster construction and qualms thereof I'm guessing everyone thinks Mike Sullivan has no input there, right? Hmmmm.

Wanna buy some seaside property in lovely Arizona?

Reactions: Darren McCord

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I'm tellin' you, man. This board cares way more about shit like sorting out guys like Dumo and Kap, and replacing Sullivan than either the front office or ownership do. :laugh: We're all gonna dive ourselves insane.

My only sorta bold prediction is that Hextall doesn't make it to January as the GM. But that's probably the drugs making me a little too optimistic for my own good.
If it gets bad enough to the point they are making major changes like that and they fire Hextall and not Sullivan, I will lose my shit. The roster is not perfect, but it's a playoff team. It's the same thing as when JR was here, too. There were major problems there, but the roster was not lose to the 24th in the league Canadiens bad. Or get swept by the Isles bad.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Also when it comes to sheer humor factor I think it's a real shame that everyone is finding a way to rip Malkin for what was definitely a poor decision and then harp on it for the next 12+ hours but I think I've only seen maybe one person mention Letang's little kicking hissy fit on the EN. That was way more hilarious.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Also when it comes to sheer humor factor I think it's a real shame that everyone is finding a way to rip Malkin for what was definitely a poor decision and then harp on it for the next 12+ hours but I think I've only seen maybe one person mention Letang's little kicking hissy fit on the EN. That was way more hilarious.
I'm not ripping him at all. "Everyone." Your persecution complex meter goes to 11 today, Nigel Tufnel.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
It's all a problem, though. Sullivan's coaching this team like it's 2015. Letang's playing the worst hockey of his career. Sid's playing the worst hockey we've seen since Johnston despite having Jake at all times. Geno's been the best of the three but he can only do so much anymore. Petry and Dumo have been utter hot garbage. Recently extended Kapanen is playing like he's already thinking about which Swiss League team he'll call home sooner than later. Jarry and CDS are shitshows when it comes to their fundamentals, playing like 18 year old goalies thrown into the fire.

At some point, it's just, you gotta be apathetic anymore, right? If for nothing else than to save some sanity.

Ownership loves Sullivan. He just got extended (before his current deal even expired) after head-manning this ship to a fourth straight 1st round loss. You gotta just shrug and laugh and hunker down for another few years of ever-worsening product before they blow it all up.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
If it gets bad enough to the point they are making major changes like that and they fire Hextall and not Sullivan, I will lose my shit. The roster is not perfect, but it's a playoff team. It's the same thing as when JR was here, too. There were major problems there, but the roster was not lose to the 24th in the league Canadiens bad. Or get swept by the Isles bad.
Hextall and Sullivan are both big issues. Just like JR and Sullivan were big issues several years ago.

But Sullivan is seemingly beloved across both ownerships. I guess winning two Cups in a row to start your tenure buys you a whole hell of a lot of leash, but those back to backs feel like they were a generation ago now. :laugh:

-edit- Though, to be fair, I blame Hextall less than Sullivan. Hextall wasn't the guy Mario and his pedo-adjacent billionaire bud should've hired while there was still gas left in the tank. They hired Hextall knowing full well who he is and what his tendencies are, and *mock gasp* it's been exactly what was expected. :laugh: Now we're at the extreme tail end of the era and what little gas might've been left in the tank post-JR has been spent, and we're just putzing along.

Still, though, keep an eye on your shit. I am pretty confident you're gonna lose it in about two or three months.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Letang's kicking fit on the ENG was so god damned funny. I actually appreciate that he did it because I was sitting there depressed af about the loss but then he started kicking the Sabres player in the corner and I couldn't help but laugh at the absurdity of it all

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Not only was Letang's kicking absurdly hilarious in its petulance, but he then tried desperately to hold on to Girgensons after he lost his helmet so he couldn't get off the ice, only to get dragged like a toddler for 12ft from the boards to past the goal line. :laugh:

-edit- Christ, Letang's been an unraveling shitshow. :laugh: I kind of appreciate it from an entertainment standpoint. We're like a game or two away from the whole "sweaty hair in his face, psychotic look" as he's trying to fight three opposing players at once.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Letang's kicking fit on the ENG was so god damned funny. I actually appreciate that he did it because I was sitting there depressed af about the loss but then he started kicking the Sabres player in the corner and I couldn't help but laugh at the absurdity of it all

I mean that's literally all I was saying. It was hilarious.

Reactions: Pancakes

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
What's the over/under on getting one of those "Crosby's frustrated so he punches another dude in the balls" situations? Four more games?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I meant for the core three, it's only a problem if as friends they don't hold eachother accountable. I absolutely do not expect a newbie to call out a 3 time Cup champ, and hope that would never be needed. Between the three of them, they need to sort eachother out first and then sort the rest of the gus out who aren't on board with what needs to happen. I have confidence they will.
But I think that's what Tocchet was getting at - the fact that they DON'T have anyone in the room willing to call out a 3 time cup winner. And I would suggest we are well past the point of needing that. It's likely part of the problem.
Nah, I think you need to go outside of the organization to address the 3rd line RW spot. You don't have anyone who's ready for the role that really brings what I'd want out of a Kapanen replacement.

You need to basically acquire another Tanev type of player for that RW spot IMO. I don't mind losing Tanev because Sullivan would have never would have used him like that (he would have kept him stapled to Blueger), but I'd want someone like him to replace Kapanen on that 3rd line.
Kapanen for Comtois or Gurianov would be ideal. All three are in a similar boat - middle-20s skill guys with a bit of grit who are underperforming offensively after having good seasons.

That could be the Perron for Hagelin-like swap we really do need. Just hope it is Perron for Hagelin and not Hagelin for Perron, lol.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Jagr seems kinda... sad... these days. Not in a pathetic way but in a "this guy looks like he's about to break down" kind of way.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
But I think that's what Tocchet was getting at - the fact that they DON'T have anyone in the room willing to call out a 3 time cup winner. And I would suggest we are well past the point of needing that. It's likely part of the problem.

Kapanen for Comtois or Gurianov would be ideal. All three are in a similar boat - middle-20s skill guys with a bit of grit who are underperforming offensively after having good seasons.

That could be the Perron for Hagelin-like swap we really do need. Just hope it is Perron for Hagelin and not Hagelin for Perron, lol.

Comtois and Gurianov aren't really what we need though.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Comtois and Gurianov aren't really what we need though.
Why do you say that? A 3RW will speed and scoring punch to complement Carter and Heinen seems like exactly what we need that we thought we would be getting from Kapanen but that we aren't getting from Kapanen.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Jagr seems kinda... sad... these days. Not in a pathetic way but in a "this guy looks like he's about to break down" kind of way.
He is not a pleasant dude that’s for sure.

What's the over/under on getting one of those "Crosby's frustrated so he punches another dude in the balls" situations? Four more games?
Sid should be teeing up dude’s nutsacks like an old timey speed bag if you ask me.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad