Post-Game Talk: | Pens vs Sabres | loss | we didn’t get tased, we got trampled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
It’s a sad day when you agree with Mark Madden lol…

Reactions: pistolpete11

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
It’s a sad day when you agree with Mark Madden lol…

Hard to argue. We've been saying that around here for years, though. It's only common sense that mid-to-late 30 year olds won't be able to win with a speed game and that they would have to adjust.

Whether by accident or not, I think a bunch of Hextall's acquisitions are in that direction, too. Rakell, Carter, Petry, Rutta. These guys are all coming from teams that play a bigger, slower, more methodical, more defensive game but aren't completely devoid of skill. And while I have issues with some things Hextall has done (the Kap extension in particular was inexplicable), that's why I want to see what new coach could do with the roster first. Some adjustments might still be needed, but there are a lot of pieces there.

It's also why I think Trotz is the perfect coach for this team at this moment. That's the game that he coaches by default, but he's also had success with highly skilled offensive players. Will he wear out his welcome like he did in NY? Probably, but that's fine. I don't want him behind the bench after the era is over anyway and I doubt he'd want to be part of a rebuild either. Give him a 3 year deal or a 4 year deal with an opt out or something and it's a win-win-win.

Reactions: Andy99

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I don't disagree with the theory of what Mark Madden is saying, but I think he's also forgetting how bad we look when we sit back and trap.

Look what the Rangers did to us every time we did that in the playoffs last year.

Trapping with a lead should be doable, but the Pens suck at it. Maybe it's Sullivan. Maybe the personnel. Maybe both. It'd be nice if they could figure that out though because high octane all the time poses the many risks that Madden pointed out in his article.

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Still blaming JR, eh?

Sullivan is trash too, but people like you conveniently give Hextall a free pass. Who extended Carter? Who signed Kap and McGinn? Who has refused to upgrade our goaltending? Who donated young guys like McCann, Matheson and Marino to keep idiots like Carter around or to acquire another 35 year old player in bone head Petry? Who rolls over for Sullivan by signing complete turd players every summer to block young players?

Listen to yourself - you are defending a guy for not being AS BAD as the prior GM. Why can’t we have a GM that is competent? Why is that so hard? This team hasn’t had a competent GM since JR was making shrewd moves before the back to back cups.

Dumb and dumber - Sleepy and Sully, ran this team into the ground.
I didn't give Hextall a free pass on Carter. I have been on board to not like that signing at all but it's not something that destroys us either. It's not like he threw a long term deal at Turbo or traded for Matheson and his long ass contract or gave the same to Pettersson and Marino.

At best he's given extensions to deals FSG likely told him he needed to do - Rust, Letang, Malkin. And then Sullivan's extension is directly a FSG deal. McGinn and Kapanen to me are victims of the system more so than anything. You want to sit here with your usual bullshit then at least f***ing understand the problem first.

Sullivan wants to preach speed and tempo and yet the two players that have speed and tempo are not working in his system at all. What the f*** does that tell you? Sullivan has no f***ing clue what his system is anymore and hasn't since he's come down from the cup high and had to settle in and really drill down his system in year 3.

Josh Archibald was signed by Hextall. A GM that previously has never signed or traded for him or has any overlap with him outside of Sullivan. And yet you think everything is 100% on Hextall? The good and bad with Hextall is that he's patient. He's kept picks and has tried to draft and restock the bare prospect pool and hasn't made any idiotic long term signings of free agents that kill the cap. His biggest issue now is that FSG mandated the Sully contract extension and the biggest move he can make to fix this team is now one that makes his employer look bad.

Why the f*** are you even a fan?

Last edited:
Reactions: Gurglesons

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I didn't give Hextall a free pass on Carter. I have been on board to not like that signing at all but it's not something that destroys us either. It's not like he threw a long term deal at Turbo or traded for Matheson and his long ass contract or gave the same to Pettersson and Marino.

At best he's given extensions to deals FSG likely told him he needed to do - Rust, Letang, Malkin. And then Sullivan's extension is directly a FSG deal. McGinn and Kapanen to me are victims of the system more so than anything. You want to sit here with your usual bullshit then at least f***ing understand the problem first.

Sullivan wants to preach speed and tempo and yet the two players that have speed and tempo are not working in his system at all. What the f*** does that tell you? Sullivan has no f***ing clue what his system is anymore and hasn't since he's come down from the cup high and had to settle in and really drill down his system in year 3.

Josh Archibald was signed by Hextall. A GM that previously has never signed or traded for him or has any overlap with him outside of Sullivan. And yet you think everything is 100% on Hextall? The good and bad with Hextall is that he's patient. He's kept picks and has tried to draft and restock the bare prospect pool and hasn't made any idiotic long term signings of free agents that kill the cap. His biggest issue now is that FSG mandated the Sully contract extension and the biggest move he can make to fix this team is now one that makes his employer look bad.

Yep.

I didn’t full buy into Sullivan sapping creativity but the last two years seem to be perfect examples of it.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
It's funny isn't it?
I wouldn't want to be a gm... I'd never get a wink of sleep with all the constant worrying. No way no how...
Funny, Tocchet alluded to pretty much the same thing on TNT, except he was talking about being a HC. Says the TV gig is much more chill. Good for him, the TNT crew is vastly superior the plastic ESPN landfill.

Reactions: LOGiK

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016

So, why did you re-sign Kap if he sucks under Sully’s dog **** system? Also, blaming sully for Hextall paying Kap $3.2 million is insane to me. It’s convenient that you neglected to mention landing 35 year old Petry, who has been a huge letdown, or the fact that sleepy retained DeSmith who is back to being an ECHL goalie.

I put the blame on both of them. Neither has any right to still be here.

I’d be fine with letting Sully go first, as long as you freeze Hextall from extending any current players on the team.

Sullivan is more of a problem than Hextall right now. I don’t disagree. But Hextall is far from an innocent party here. And where did I say I blame Hextall 100%? I’ve made it clear that we needed to move on from Sully for the last several years - maybe you were one of the countless posters defending him all of these years?

Last edited:

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
So, why did you re-sign Kap if he sucks under Sully’s dog **** system. Blaming sully for Hextall paying Kap $3.2 million is insane to me.

I put the blame on both of them. Neither has any right to still be here.
I still blame Rutherford for the Kapanen monstrosity even though he's been gone for almost two years. He took Kap's lineage and gave it undeserved pedigree with the first round pick. He should do us a solid and bring Kap to Vancouver. A lot of people dress silly in Vancouver. NO, @Better Call Maul , not you, I've no doubt your style is dialed in...

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I still blame Rutherford for the Kapanen monstrosity even though he's been gone for almost two years. He took Kap's lineage and gave it undeserved pedigree with the first round pick. He should do us a solid and bring Kap to Vancouver. A lot of people dress silly in Vancouver. NO, @Better Call Maul , not you, I've no doubt your style is dialed in...
Or sleepy didn’t have to re-sign Kap…

But but but it’s JR’s fault! Hindsight and stuff!

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Didn't Sullivan say he had to do a better job coaching Kapanen this season or something?

psssst... it didn't work!

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
That's one instance I'm not gonna hold against Sully. Kap's a f***ing squirrely-brained schmuck who is gonna be in Switzerland in like 3 years. :laugh:

Probably, yeah.

But he HAS slid since arriving here. And he wasn't THIS bad in Toronto. I mean... this isn't even me being mean. I wanted to try to rationalize this deal. But he's literally useless. They'd probably get more out of some WB/S 4th liner right now. I don't even know if I've seen him make one positive play in weeks.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Probably, yeah.

But he HAS slid since arriving here. And he wasn't THIS bad in Toronto. I mean... this isn't even me being mean. I wanted to try to rationalize this deal. But he's literally useless. They'd probably get more out of some WB/S 4th liner right now. I don't even know if I've seen him make one positive play in weeks.
He is a lock to make the absolute worst decision with the puck on his stick. :laugh: Just a complete dipshit. Permanent prospect brain where he's always trying to play through struggles and sort himself out while trying to find and settle into his role.

I was kinda shocked when Hextall brought him back tbh. Dude was JR's pet project, thought for sure he'd be dealt or allowed to walk.

But hey, only two more years of Carter and Kap, eh?

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
It's funny isn't it?
I wouldn't want to be a gm... I'd never get a wink of sleep with all the constant worrying. No way no how...

There's very few positions in any field that pay $1M+ for a desk job where you don't have to be "switched on" all the time.

I'd want that life for a couple of years to build a buffer of financial stability. But then I'd want to exit stage left.

Reactions: LOGiK

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
@Gurglesons Alright dude, I gotta' fall on my sword on this one. Less than 48 hours after my defending Yohe, The Athletic released his latest:

"If anyone can right the Penguins’ ship, it’s Mike Sullivan"​

This clearly f***s my argument. I relent. Damnit.

Reactions: Gurglesons

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
@Gurglesons Alright dude, I gotta' fall on my sword on this one. Less than 48 hours after my defending Yohe, The Athletic released his latest:

"If anyone can right the Penguins’ ship, it’s Mike Sullivan"​

This clearly f***s my argument. I relent. Damnit.

This is the only stance like 90% of the local media guys know how to take.

"MmMmmMmmmMmmmm... boot."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino