Post-Game Talk: |Pens vs Panthers | loss | Atrocious reffing and lack of heart tonight

Most happy we:

• Total voters

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Granlund looked like a less talented Kapanen out on the ice. Soft, slow, lazy and allergic to contact

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

FlightlessBird

Nov 5, 2005
Pittsburgh
Here’s an interesting section of Yohe’s postgame article:

• Rakell is an insightful guy and told me something after the game that got my attention.

I asked him why the Penguins struggle so much in the first period.

“It’s tough to say,” he said. “I think we’re trying to keep it simple at the beginning of games. But I actually think that hurts us sometimes. We aren’t being an option for each other, and we’re putting teammates in bad spots. It doesn’t work out for us.”

I’ve never heard a player say a team is keeping things too simple. Feel free to discuss this among yourselves. I appreciate the outside-the-box thinking, though.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Why are we talking about toughness? We were down a couple due to terrible turnovers and a limp dick PP before the game turned silly.

Petry and Petterson were super bad. Letang was Letang. 3rd line was 3rd line. Bonino was as slow as advertized. DOC looked good and got no reward. Geno was drunk and Rust worked only on the PK. CDS was CDS. Sully was Sully.

There were loads of issues we know and love, but toughness?
Because you are focused on this game while others are speaking to a fundamental failure/blindspot that exists at every level of this organization.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
The league is getting faster and more skilled while de-emphasizing players who's only valuable trait is toughness, so I truly have no idea what you are talking about.
Not if the penguins have anything to do about that!

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
The end of the dads trip in Florida ( with probably a long night thrown in) and after the emotional chaos of the deadline. Team was tired and emotionally spent. The next bunch of games culminating with 3 against the Rangers in a week will tell us much more.

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Here’s an interesting section of Yohe’s postgame article:

• Rakell is an insightful guy and told me something after the game that got my attention.

I asked him why the Penguins struggle so much in the first period.

“It’s tough to say,” he said. “I think we’re trying to keep it simple at the beginning of games. But I actually think that hurts us sometimes. We aren’t being an option for each other, and we’re putting teammates in bad spots. It doesn’t work out for us.”

I’ve never heard a player say a team is keeping things too simple. Feel free to discuss this among yourselves. I appreciate the outside-the-box thinking, though.
Sounds like a polite way of saying Sullivan's getting them to play a way they're not suited to rather than crafting a plan that actually plays to their strengths.

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
Kapanen, who killed penalties in Toronto, kills them in St. Louis, and scores a shorty. He's defensively responsible, out there in the final minutes, and gets an ENG.

Granlund had his best numbers in his career playing on a line with Zucker while getting top PP minutes. Granlund doesn't play with Zucker, doesn't play on the PP, and gets excessive PK time.

f***ing tired of Sullsma.

Guentzel - Crosby - Rakell
Zucker - Malkin - Granlund
O'Connor - Bonino - Rust
Poehling - Carter - Archibald

Those are the correct lines. Use them you moron.

EDIT. Other acceptable lines:

Rust - Malkin - Puustinen
Zucker - Bonino - Granlund
O'Connor - Poehling - Archibald

Or really mix it up.

Guentzel - Crosby - Puustinen
O'Connor - Malkin - Rakell
Zucker - Granlund - Rust
Poehling - Bonino - Archibald

TRY SOMETHING DIFFERENT.

Last edited:

ZorkEnchanter

Aug 16, 2020
Kapanen, who killed penalties in Toronto, kills them in St. Louis, and scores a shorty. He's defensively responsible, out there in the final minutes, and gets an ENG.

Granlund had his best numbers in his career playing on a line with Zucker while getting top PP minutes. Granlund doesn't play with Zucker, doesn't play on the PP, and gets excessive PK time.

f***ing tired of Sullsma.

Zucker - Malkin - Granlund
O'Connor - Bonino - Rust
Poehling - Carter - Archibald

Those are the correct lines. Use them you moron.

EDIT. Other acceptable lines:

Rust - Malkin - Puustinen
Zucker - Bonino - Granlund
O'Connor - Poehling - Archibald

Or really mix it up.

Guentzel - Crosby - Puustinen
O'Connor - Malkin - Rakell
Zucker - Granlund - Rust
Poehling - Bonino - Archibald

TRY SOMETHING DIFFERENT.

little hint... he won't do any of that. It's the player fault. It could never be HIS PLAN.

FYI. Sully and Quiet JR both need to go but remember this is not his 3-4th new Bottom 6... it's got to be the players and not the coach.

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
There is still no bottom six. The biggest problem with this forward group is that there are seven top-six forwards and the rest are marginal fourth liners.

The way Sullsma has been "constructing" these lines, he's sacrificing the seventh-best forward's skillset and playing him with scrubs.

Sullsma actually has part of the solution already- forward pairs. The only way things are going to work is if there are two top-six forwards on each of the top three lines, with the third forward on each line rotating and "playing up."

Guentzel - Crosby - xxxxx
Try Puustinen and O'Connor on their wing. Fall back on Rakell and/or Rust

Zucker - xxxxx - Granlund
These two have proven chemistry. Granlund could also potentially play center, but he's better on the wing. Try all of Malkin, Carter, and Bonino between them.

xxxxx - Malkin - Rakell
I prefer to see Zucker and Granlund flanking Geno. But if those two are together and centered by Carter or Bonino, try Puustinen, O'Connor, and Rust with these two. Both Rakell and Rust can slot to the left side if needed.

xxxxx - Bonino - Rust
Start of a competent third line. O'Connor and Poehling should both get looks.

xxxxx - xxxxx - Archibald
Ok, not a pair. But this is where he goes.

Heinen - Carter - xxxxx
A nice press box duo.

Reactions: vodeni

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Or he develops a sense of dignity. Someone should explain to him that not everyone finishes their contract nor do they have to.

As Cobain wrote in his suicide letter: “It’s better to burn out than fade away.”
Again, it doesn't matter if Carter retires, we're still on the hook for the contract. LTIR is the only way you mitigate that hit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad