Post-Game Talk: |Pens vs Panthers | loss | Atrocious reffing and lack of heart tonight

Most happy we:

• Total voters

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
"We have a set of standards here that everybody adheres to, and it's not pick and choose. It's everybody," Cooper said. "It's how it was for today and those guys are an extremely important part of our team, but for 20 minutes tonight, I thought the other guys could get it done, and they almost did."

... this is a team that has gone to three straight cup finals, and they were sitting Kuch, Point and Stamkos for the 3rd period tonight, on the way to a 4th straight loss.

Just thought I'd make sure it got play.

Atrocious effort by the Pens in this one. And same old same old from our bench.

I didn't get the chance to watch the game but I definitely think if you aren't playing riding the bench a bit more and letting players play. Bring out pp2 first. Bring out some fresh faces for a pp3.

Make Crosby take a pk shift if he is being a stinker. Gotta hold players accountable. Guentzel needs to be on the 4th line for a few games.

Accountability

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Coach gotta find a way to make his team get to their game.
I feel like year 7 is when we might get close to the coach finding out what that is and the players we have, figuring out what he means.

Just you wait and see. Forever.

Of all the many problems the Pens have, being pushed around is so far down the list that it doesn't even register for me.
I think it should be because of what it means. It's not so much oh they get pushed around and still win. It's they get pushed around and react and go off the rails and completely lose the plot. And this isn't a team that executes any sort of strong systems to begin with.

They unravel faster than a wool sweater the moment the other team tugs at them enough times. They don't make them pay on the powerplay consistently enough and the 5v5 scoring is troublesome.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
I feel like year 7 is when we might get close to the coach finding out what that is and the players we have, figuring out what he means.

Just you wait and see. Forever.

I think it should be because of what it means. It's not so much oh they get pushed around and still win. It's they get pushed around and react and go off the rails and completely lose the plot. And this isn't a team that executes any sort of strong systems to begin with.

They unravel faster than a wool sweater the moment the other team tugs at them enough times. They don't make them pay on the powerplay consistently enough and the 5v5 scoring is troublesome.
The year 2030 I think is when ownership says Hm maybe he isn't gonna put this together.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The year 2030 I think is when ownership says Hm maybe he isn't gonna put this together.
I'll be shocked if FSG doesn't flip the Pens before Sid and Geno are set to retire to get the max out of their return.

I'm not joking. Pens were valued at their highest when they bought them and keeping Sully will ruin keeping the team long term. I see the Pens maybe going up for sale in 3yrs.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I didn't get the chance to watch the game but I definitely think if you aren't playing riding the bench a bit more and letting players play. Bring out pp2 first. Bring out some fresh faces for a pp3.

Make Crosby take a pk shift if he is being a stinker. Gotta hold players accountable. Guentzel needs to be on the 4th line for a few games.

Accountability

Accountability would be cool. Won’t ever happen.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I'll be shocked if FSG doesn't flip the Pens before Sid and Geno are set to retire to get the max out of their return.

I'm not joking. Pens were valued at their highest when they bought them and keeping Sully will ruin keeping the team long term. I see the Pens maybe going up for sale in 3yrs.
Um, investors are looking at future returns. No one making a $1b purchase is going to, like, not project forward.

I know this is just me being typical Docemricksh1ts

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I think that adding a big heavy players isn’t about preventing cheap shots, it’s about giving them back. Teams collectively wilt when they’re pushed around and being able to push back evens the playing field. But it does no good if you throw a bunch of non-NHL caliber goons onto the ice. The Penguins couldn’t afford a Jeannot so they’re going to have to win with skill in spite of getting pushed around.
Exactly. It’s about retribution/infliction not prevention.

Um, investors are looking at future returns. No one making a $1b purchase is going to, like, not project forward.

I know this is just me being typical Docemricksh1ts
Yeah, but on the other hand, I expected new owners who shelled out a cool billion to take more of an active hand in their investment. It's just weird how little they seem to care, honestly.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007

Sports teams are tough to make returns.... wouldn't they?
Unless you buy low... you still have to invest to make them into something if not contending for top spot at least exciting...
Unless you have oil money sports teams seem like a weird investment.... I know nothing about it of course... just .... seems a difficult way to profit. ((as in it can easily go south **injuries etc etc and etc**))

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Sports teams are tough to make returns.... wouldn't they?
Unless you buy low... you still have to invest to make them into something if not contending for top spot at least exciting...
Unless you have oil money sports teams seem like a weird investment.... I know nothing about it of course... just .... seems a difficult way to profit. ((as in it can easily go south **injuries etc etc and etc**))

Check out the value of sports teams over the past decade. They only increase. Now that's "paper wins" until you sell. But when you do sell, you get a windfall

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Check out the value of sports teams over the past decade. They only increase. Now that's "paper wins" until you sell. But when you do sell, you get a windfall
I don't have to check sports teams though... everything 'increases' value over time.
Hardly, though... that inflation stuff is a bastard.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

Lol no.

Learn more about corporate finance. As long as the Penguins' revenue meet their budgets, there will not be an issue. If they lose money one year, showing a loss on your taxes is not always a bad thing for a group like FSG.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Lol no.

Learn more about corporate finance. As long as the Penguins' revenue meet their budgets, there will not be an issue. If they lose money one year, showing a loss on your taxes is not always a bad thing for a group like FSG.
It’s more or less about fsg maybe not being all that interested in the NHL game like they thought they were as the reason. They were more involved in the other two during their first 3yrs etc. but for the pens they’ve been radio silence outside of wanking it to Sully.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
It’s more or less about fsg maybe not being all that interested in the NHL game like they thought they were as the reason. They were more involved in the other two during their first 3yrs etc. but for the pens they’ve been radio silence outside of wanking it to Sully.
You said that Sully was going to kill the long term valuation of the franchise.

Say what you will about Sully, but he won't. Just categorically. No.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I don't think a group like FSG has the attention span of 1 NHL season.

They would not have invested the money unless they were interested. Being in this "business" is the thorough understanding that there will be good times and bad times.

They are not selling the team anytime soon. I'm not quite sure how else to really say that to you. And why would there be radio chatter from FSG that is not from the Pens org? I would suggest that they would be radio silent if they were happy and knocking at the door if they weren't.

Reactions: Night Shift

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
DK said in his podcast (maybe a month or 2 ago) he sees a guy up in the press box during the games. Doesn't know who he is, as he doesn't really make himself available. But the guy is from FSG and guesses the one who oversees things daily.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I don't think a group like FSG has the attention span of 1 NHL season.

They would not have invested the money unless they were interested. Being in this "business" is the thorough understanding that there will be good times and bad times.

They are not selling the team anytime soon. I'm not quite sure how else to really say that to you. And why would there be radio chatter from FSG that is not from the Pens org? I would suggest that they would be radio silent if they were happy and knocking at the door if they weren't.
I think with the RSN bubble bursting, team valuations will be quite depressed until the league proves it can recoup the profits.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I think with the RSN bubble bursting, team valuations will be quite depressed until the league proves it can recoup the profits.
Perhaps, so why would FSG sell at a loss? Again, SOMETIMES...showing a loss isn't the worst thing for a large corporation like FSG.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Cooper knows how to coach. Sully is a glorified babysitter.
I think that’s a little unfair. The things sully had the team doing when he took over were truly beyond the “babysitting” stage.

That said, every coach since MT - every single one - has struggled (or been nonexistent) when it comes time to discipline players and hold them accountable.

I’m unwilling to blame too much on this core, but it’s hard to ignore the absolute hands off approach to discipline since Therrien was run off

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I think that’s a little unfair. The things sully had the team doing when he took over were truly beyond the “babysitting” stage.

That said, every coach since MT - every single one - has struggled (or been nonexistent) when it comes time to discipline players and hold them accountable.

I’m unwilling to blame too much on this core, but it’s hard to ignore the absolute hands off approach to discipline since Therrien was run off
Mario, from what I understand, never favored hardass coaches either. And he became the idol/standard/owner/landlord for these guys.

Maybe they would respond to some tough love but let's not pretend it's easy. If they were 23-25 maybe.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Sully got them to shut the hell up his first two years. Now he's right there barking with them.

Reactions: IcedCapp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad