Post-Game Talk: |Pens vs Panthers | loss | Atrocious reffing and lack of heart tonight

Most happy we:

• Total voters

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Everyone else finds a way when needed…. I’d be seriously surprised if we dont next season.
Same, but don't underestimate Carter's absolute idiocy either. :laugh:

Anyhow, this first period is already getting me down.

Agreed. No idea what they see in CDS honestly...
I think they see he's cheap and they're up against the cap because of self-inflicted wounds and a love of all things veteran.

Reactions: SEALBound

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
There is still no bottom six. The biggest problem with this forward group is that there are seven top-six forwards and the rest are marginal fourth liners.

The way Sullsma has been "constructing" these lines, he's sacrificing the seventh-best forward's skillset and playing him with scrubs.

Sullsma actually has part of the solution already- forward pairs. The only way things are going to work is if there are two top-six forwards on each of the top three lines, with the third forward on each line rotating and "playing up."

Guentzel - Crosby - xxxxx
Try Puustinen and O'Connor on their wing. Fall back on Rakell and/or Rust

Zucker - xxxxx - Granlund
These two have proven chemistry. Granlund could also potentially play center, but he's better on the wing. Try all of Malkin, Carter, and Bonino between them.

xxxxx - Malkin - Rakell
I prefer to see Zucker and Granlund flanking Geno. But if those two are together and centered by Carter or Bonino, try Puustinen, O'Connor, and Rust with these two. Both Rakell and Rust can slot to the left side if needed.

xxxxx - Bonino - Rust
Start of a competent third line. O'Connor and Poehling should both get looks.

xxxxx - xxxxx - Archibald
Ok, not a pair. But this is where he goes.

Heinen - Carter - xxxxx
A nice press box duo.
We like our guys. We thought they battled hard tonight, for 90% of the game. That extra 10% of the game, it will get to you. If our guys keep battling and get to our game, we'll take the win next time.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Thinking back, this game might have had the most insane officiating decisions I have ever seen in a hockey game

1. Review a guy intentionally slashing another player in the balls and recinding the called major penalty after watching it in slow motion

2. Archibald tackled to the ice to prevent a shorthanded breakaway TWICE without the Panthers getting called

3. Zucker gets dogpiled by 4 Panthers and the Panthers don't get a single penalty. Even if they gave Zucker an extra 2 to maintain the pp situation, you can't just look at that happen and pretend that the Panthers did absolutely nothing illegal

4. Zucker elbowed/butt ended 10 feet in front of a ref with no call

It was honestly so much that it is legitimate to question if the game was on-the-level.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I don't think wild card teams get a whole lot of match fixing offers, but on the other hand, it's kind of flattering when you think about it?

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Crunch time comes and the Penguins fold like a cheap suit. Experience Mike Sullivan's coaching.

It's unbelievable how the Pens still get sucked into those silly post-whistle shenanigans when they know that a) they are lightweight and injury prone; and b) their special teams are appalling, especially on the road. I mean, they would have lost anyway because their defense didn't show up once again and CDS is not a guy you can rely on to regularly save your bacon in games like this but they wouldn't have looked like absolute idiots too.

The good news is that if we don't make the playoffs, we won't get embarrassed in the playoffs. 4D chess, baby!

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Man, watching this game is like getting a root canal, but one of the most mindboggling thing about it is how our special teams are SO bad. This team with these players should not look nearly as awful as it does, even if it's not a true contender.

Also, f*** getting clowned on by Lafferty should be a fireable offense.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
4 division games next week, 2 more against the Rags the week after that. This season's agony could be pretty much over by the middle of March if we play like we have done in most games against division opponents this season.

Oh and the week after that we have a game a red hot Sens team, b2b on the road against the Avs and Stars and yet another division game, this time against the Caps. Better hope Jarry stands on his head because it could be a very ugly week.

Or a very good week if you want us to drop down to a lottery spot.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
is this sarcastic lmao, wtf is their game, hope to get 8 power plays and maybe score twice?
be5bde12-a3cc-48d4-8f30-38ea7ac3d37f_text.gif

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Thinking back, this game might have had the most insane officiating decisions I have ever seen in a hockey game

1. Review a guy intentionally slashing another player in the balls and recinding the called major penalty after watching it in slow motion

2. Archibald tackled to the ice to prevent a shorthanded breakaway TWICE without the Panthers getting called

3. Zucker gets dogpiled by 4 Panthers and the Panthers don't get a single penalty. Even if they gave Zucker an extra 2 to maintain the pp situation, you can't just look at that happen and pretend that the Panthers did absolutely nothing illegal

4. Zucker elbowed/butt ended 10 feet in front of a ref with no call

It was honestly so much that it is legitimate to question if the game was on-the-level.
That's the way the game is called.

You can either get some players who can do the same or lose and whine about it. The Pens have chosen the latter. They're small, soft, they get pushed around, don't have enough speed/skill to punish teams on the scoresheet or enough defensive conscience to stem the tide when the other team is rolling.

Welcome to Pens hockey in the Hextall era - their identity is hockey purgatory. But hey, maybe that mid 1st rounder can be a mid roster player in 2027. That's the true measure of success.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
That's the way the game is called.

You can either get some players who can do the same or lose and whine about it. The Pens have chosen the latter. They're small, soft, they get pushed around, don't have enough speed/skill to punish teams on the scoresheet or enough defensive conscience to stem the tide when the other team is rolling.

Welcome to Pens hockey in the Hextall era - their identity is hockey purgatory. But hey, maybe that mid 1st rounder can be a mid roster player in 2027. That's the true measure of success.

Yes, Crosby and Malkin would have buried 2 different glorious scoring opportunities if only the Pens had more players willing to slash somebody in the balls out of frustration.

Reactions: Icarium

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Remember how the Rags sunk in the standings after they got rid of Ryan Reaves? Yeah, me neither.

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
I love our annual strawmaning hockey physicality month. It’s not tedious at all and thoroughly entertaining.

It's almost as entertaining as when 3 of our guys get knocked out of the playoffs and everyone here whines and cries about the refs, the league, etc.

Reactions: Victor Z

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
20 games left

12 vs current non-playoff teams
12 at home
7 vs bottom 10 teams

Still think they're gonna make it...
I don't, I just don't see this coach at this time pushing the right buttons, he certainly can't coach special teams, our goalies are meh to mediocre and Geno and Sid are not world betaers they were before, and Jake, Rakell, Rust and Granlund at thsi point can't move the needle, and you still have that black hole in the middle of the line up JC, and your first D-pair Letang and Dumolin are bad in defense...and for those reasons I think tthey go at best 10-10 the rest of the way and I am not sure if that is going to be enough

Reactions: Andy99

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
It's almost as entertaining as when 3 of our guys get knocked out of the playoffs and everyone here whines and cries about the refs, the league, etc.
See like...

I agree that the Pens lost the toughness battle due to lack of physicality

No doubt

But.. They didn't lose that game because of physicality

They didn't get outmuscled all night. It wasn't the broadstreet bullies vs peewee team out there

They lost because CDS can't control rebounds and the team gave up by 5mins into the 2nd

Then... They tried to get chippy and embarrassed themselves

If they would have just you know played defense and scored a couple more, they probably win and physical toughness doesn't even creep into the picture

So that's why i disagree that they just need to be TOUGH like you feel they do. They just needed to not play dogshit hockey and then try to get gangsta only to get punked out

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Has anyone ever mentioned the reason for exgmjr to huff and puff his way out of the penguins?

Could the reason have been sully?

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
People still can’t see their lack of toughness is an issue. If we make the playoffs, we can complain that the refs should have called more penalties when half of our top six’s heads get taken off.

Opposing teams know we won’t retaliate.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
People who think toughness and enforcers prevent star players from taking cheap shots either didn't watch hockey when literally every team had an enforcer or 2 or they have incredibly rose-colored memories of that era.

Reactions: Andy99

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad