Post-Game Talk: | Pens vs Isles | Shootout loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
No. Carolina winning makes the matchup with NYR more likely.

Best bet is.....
1 NYR
2 CAR
3 PIT
4 WAS

Roll the dice against the canes.

The only way we play FLA is if we are the #2 wild card

Indeed. And since the Caps have it in their own hands to sink us to the 2nd wild card place, I said what I said. There is no way we finish above the Caps. We are sinking like a rock, while they are steaming hot!

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
5D367CA3-C751-4B8F-8C4D-A933C45236A0.gif

Rust after the first 2 minutes of gametime

• Haha
Reactions: ChaosAgent

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I edit before but you have guys like Manson, Chiarot and Lyubushkin out there. Teams will also feel the cap pinch. If you can free up space you may be able to trade with a team looking to move out cap.

Manson doesn't want to come out east apparently. FLA is confident they can re-sign Chiarot (which is why they were willing to give up so much for him). And Lyubushkin is not an upgrade -- he's had a decent stretch for TOR but it's only a handful of games and there's a reason ARI couldn't get more than a 3rd rounder for him (and part of the reason the pick was even that high was because ARI agreed to take on Nick Ritchie's contract). And maybe he doesn't even make it to UFA if TOR wants to keep him as a 3rd pairing guy.

Believe me, I wish there were more options, but the UFA market is shite right now, and it's not looking any better next year.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Manson doesn't want to come out east apparently. FLA is confident they can re-sign Chiarot (which is why they were willing to give up so much for him). And Lyubushkin is not an upgrade -- he's had a decent stretch for TOR but it's only a handful of games and there's a reason ARI couldn't get more than a 3rd rounder for him (and part of the reason the pick was even that high was because ARI agreed to take on Nick Ritchie's contract). And maybe he doesn't even make it to UFA if TOR wants to keep him as a 3rd pairing guy.

Believe me, I wish there were more options, but the UFA market is shite right now, and it's not looking any better next year.

Lyubushkin is a huge upgrade over Marino.

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
Rakell looked lost on the 4 on 3 PP, had they not discussed what to do at all? Just waiting around setting up folks with the wrong stick on shooting lanes. LOL Letang, just LOL on the PP. Hes trying to kill of the opponents PP by holding onto the puck and killing time!

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
No, unfortunately because of our piss poor play of late and Geno getting suspended, we now can't afford to rest guys like Boyle and Carter. Our primary goal needs to be to finish 3rd in the division because if we go wild card that means we have to face Florida, which is a special kind of hell.

And if by some impossible miracle we beat Florida, we'd then have to play the winner of Tampa/Toronto because we will have "switched over" to the Atlantic division. I'd rather face Carolina or the Rangers than any of those Atlantic teams in the first 2 rounds.
Nah. We need our guys rested, that is primary, the rest will take care of itself. It's foolish to burn these guys out right before playoffs just so we can try to get a matchup that may or may not turn out how we think. Nothing good happens to teams that worry about that stuff. We need to take care of ourselves.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015

FLA is not resigning Chiarot.

Yandles Buyout kicks up to 5.5 mil next season.

They have to sign
Chiarot
Marchment
Acciari

They have 4.5 mil in cap space to sign
1 dmen
3 forwards

That is just to fill out a 20 man roster.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Rakell looked lost on the 4 on 3 PP, had they not discussed what to do at all? Just waiting around setting up folks with the wrong stick on shooting lanes. LOL Letang, just LOL on the PP. Hes trying to kill of the opponents PP by holding onto the puck and killing time!

Rakell looked lost because he had no idea why Letang wouldn't shoot it or pass it to his stick. Letang sent at least 3 horrible passes to him

Reactions: Jjgeru

Victor Z

Trade me right f**king now!
Sponsor
Apr 10, 2018
The Burgh
Lyubushkin is a huge upgrade over Marino.

I'm not as down on Marino as some others are, but that boy needs to spend the offseason taking testosterone supplements or something so he can stop being the biggest p***y in the league. Playing defense at the NHL level is a tough task, and doing so for the Penguins is even tougher what with all the unpenalized cheap shots you have to take while nobody ever "has your back" and the refs are a joke.

Despite all that (or because of all that) Marino needs to find a way to get back some of that "grit" we were told he had while in college. His deer-in-the-headlights-act might work on some teams where he could be protected, but not here, and Marino must know that he needs to be a lot better come October.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
FLA is not resigning Chiarot.

Yandles Buyout kicks up to 5.5 mil next season.

They have to sign
Chiarot
Marchment
Acciari

They have 4.5 mil in cap space to sign
1 dmen
3 forwards

That is just to fill out a 20 man roster.

Both Seravalli and Friedman said that, so they may be prioritizing him over those other forwards. Also, they will very likely trade Montour and Chiarot will take his $.

Even if they didn't, we don't automatically get right of first refusal on these UFAs. They have to want to come to Pittsburgh over every other team that's offering a contract. Maybe, maybe, we get 1 guy. Just based on probabilities and history of how these things play out. Unless it's a few guys who are buddies like Parise-Suter or Selanne-Kariya who are coming as a package, it's pretty darn unlikely we're just going to be able to get whoever we want when there's a lineup of other teams.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Both Seravalli and Friedman said that, so they may be prioritizing him over those other forwards. Also, they will very likely trade Montour and Chiarot will take his $.

Even if they didn't, we don't automatically get right of first refusal on these UFAs. They have to want to come to Pittsburgh over every other team that's offering a contract. Maybe, maybe, we get 1 guy. Just based on probabilities and history of how these things play out. Unless it's a few guys who are buddies like Parise-Suter or Selanne-Kariya who are coming as a package, it's pretty darn unlikely we're just going to be able to get whoever we want when there's a lineup of other teams.

Sure I am just saying it possible to make moves, not that they will happen. But if Letang wants 9.5 + it is time to move on.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Sure I am just saying it possible to make moves, not that they will happen. But if Letang wants 9.5 + it is time to move on.

LOL, I'm not sure where you're getting that number from.

I don't know how many times I can say that Letang's "ask" began with a 7, so I don't think anyone living on planet earth would pay him $9M+ and it's not what he's expecting to get.

Reactions: Jjgeru

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
I'd rather play the Panthers than the Rangers. We can beat them in a 7 game series if their goaltending falters, which it can. Rangers are a much worse matchup.
Rangers also are a much more inexperienced team and those tend to stumble their first playoffs out of the gate. I see no reason to care who we get in the first round. They all have reasons why it would not be good to meet them, but we have to play someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad