Around Hockey XXV (All Non-Jackets Hockey Talk Here)

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Of course he will because it's McDavid but he wasn't aiming for his face, the push from behind made him fall forward and down into a cross check aimed for the chest.

Because McDavid? Since when do they not suspend players for this, even without intent?

That's a stick bending around McDavid's throat, I'd be surprised if he can swallow food after that. Most players are on IR after that. Regardless of who it was against or intent, that should be a suspension.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Canes are still cooked, as are the Avs who I was warned was going to beat the NYR.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Canes are still cooked

The series is 3-2 and while I still believe the NYR will manage to win one of the next two games, it's been really close and far from over. I've watched all the games in the series (it's been a great one) and apart from NYR collapsing in the 3rd period of game 5, all the games have been tight, 2 going into OT. The biggest difference has been special teams (Canes are -1 on the PP :D ) and Canes taking some really stupid penalties in key moments.

Usually when one team is up 3-0 it's because they've been significantly better, so it makes sense a comeback from that is super rare. But in cases when a team has managed to come back even to 3-2 from 3-0, they've ended up winning the series 4 times out 22 - if I recall correctly 22 teams have taken a series to 3-2 after being down 3-0, 9 out of those 22 won game 6 and 4 out of those 9 won game 7 - someone posted the numbers on mains but going by memory so I might a bit off, but that's in the ball park at least I'm sure.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Total collapse by the Canes. Had this game in their hands until the awful second goal against by Andersen.

And behold, a natural hat trick by Kreider to win the series because Freddie Andersen doesn’t know how to freeze a puck. f***in crazy

Last edited:
Reactions: spintheblackcircle

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
It's gone going to be a long offseason for the Canes. Up 3-1 and hit a crossbar, post and miss on a couple of point blank shots to put the game away only to turn around and see Kreider get the hatty mostly from right in front of the net with tap-ins.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Going to be the worst sports year of my life (so far!) with Michigan winning the championship in football and the NYR winning the cup.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
That game pretty much sums up the series for Canes... 1st NYR goal is Andersen failing to catch an edge in a weird way and simultaneously the most horrible turnover from what should've been an easy clear. 2nd goal he just shouldn't let in.

Still, Canes were totally dominating 5v5 play for the first 2 periods and beginning of 3rd (I had to stop watching after the 2nd Rangers goal) and they hit at least two posts and a crossbar up until that point. But at 3-1 when Canes just failed to score from all the opportunities they had, it just felt like that kind of a game where NYR scores one and goes on to take the game... and that's exactly what happened.

At times the Canes felt almost cursed, but a lot of their woes were also their own making, just some stupid mistakes. I think Andersen has worse reputation than he deserves, but in this series... while he was better than his stats in some games, overall he was a bit shaky and prone for a softie, which I think was great mentally for the Rangers. If the Canes had a hot goalie, that series could've been 4-2 or 4-0 for the Canes.

Good for them they made a series out of it after being down 3-0 and while it must suck now, being swept 2 post seasons in a row would've been horrible. Would've loved to see a game 7.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad