Post-Game Talk: | Pens vs Isles | Shootout loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Poppa Pump

Holla If Ya Hear Me
Feb 22, 2009
LOL, I'm not sure where you're getting that number from.

I don't know how many times I can say that Letang's "ask" began with a 7, so I don't think anyone living on planet earth would pay him $9M+ and it's not what he's expecting to get.
MTL is going to offer Letang well over $7M

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Have you ever watched Lyubushkin play? He's fantastic.

Yes, I've watch a lot of Arizona and Buffalo games this year (and last) because I honestly find those 2 of the most exciting/intriguing teams in terms of young players, their future, etc.

And I live in Toronto, so yes I see a lot of Toronto games.

When the Leafs traded for him, they expected him to be a 6-7 and weren't even sure if he was going to play as a regular. He has been a nice suprise for them, but we don't need to look any further than ERod or Heinen to see how a guy can look good (and FAR better than his career average to date) for a short stretch. That doesn't mean he's a long term upgrade over what we have.

Besides, if he's that good, TOR will re-sign him and he won't be available which brings me back to my main point -- it's VERY easy when people say "trade everyone" and "let's remake our entire defense" and while I totally understand the emotion behind it, it is entirely unrealstic and improbable.

I can't remember the last time a team did a major makeover of multiple Dmen in one season that proved to be successful. This kind of thing could only work in a pre-salary cap environment where we just go out and basically outbid every other team for all the UFAs. But we have a cap, and just take a look at all the upcoming UFAs for this summer and next summer.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
MTL is going to offer Letang well over $7M

So? MTL also has the highest tax rate in the entire NHL (I believe it works out to be about 54% -- at least 50% for sure).

But as i've said, if Letang goes to Montreal it's for family reasons, not financial reasons. If he wants max $, he can go sign in a place like DAL to replace Klingberg where they have no state tax. They were willing to go high on the AAV, just not the 7-8 years Klingberg wanted. But as has been discussed before, I don't believe Letang is motivated by greed and just the highest bidder. It will be Pittsburgh or MTL because those are his homes.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
If all Letang wants is his current cap hit, we'll see him back.

It's just a matter of term. He won't accept it on a one year deal nor likely a 2 year deal, but it it's 3 or more, it can be done.

BTW, are people forgetting that they're simultaneously shitting on Sullivan AND every Dman we have at the same time? Because as has been conventional hockey wisdom and practice for decades, "if it's one player, trade the player. If it's multiple players or the whole team, fire the coach". So if they truly believe we should fire the coach, then you let the new staff work with the majority of the existing players before *purging* everyone for all the grass-is-greener guys. Fine, maybe move out one player for another, but you bring in a new coach before moving out 3/4/5 guys and expecting different results.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Yes, I've watch a lot of Arizona and Buffalo games this year (and last) because I honestly find those 2 of the most exciting/intriguing teams in terms of young players, their future, etc.

And I live in Toronto, so yes I see a lot of Toronto games.

When the Leafs traded for him, they expected him to be a 6-7 and weren't even sure if he was going to play as a regular. He has been a nice suprise for them, but we don't need to look any further than ERod or Heinen to see how a guy can look good (and FAR better than his career average to date) for a short stretch. That doesn't mean he's a long term upgrade over what we have.

Besides, if he's that good, TOR will re-sign him and he won't be available which brings me back to my main point -- it's VERY easy when people say "trade everyone" and "let's remake our entire defense" and while I totally understand the emotion behind it, it is entirely unrealstic and improbable.

I can't remember the last time a team did a major makeover of multiple Dmen in one season that proved to be successful. This kind of thing could only work in a pre-salary cap environment where we just go out and basically outbid every other team for all the UFAs. But we have a cap, and just take a look at all the upcoming UFAs for this summer and next summer.

Lyubushkin has been a top six D for like four years.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
LOL, I'm not sure where you're getting that number from.

I don't know how many times I can say that Letang's "ask" began with a 7, so I don't think anyone living on planet earth would pay him $9M+ and it's not what he's expecting to get.

I heard he wanted 7 over 5 years. Then there was rumor is it was 3 years he wanted more

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
I love how RR has been an unreal fit. He’s a bit more grindy than I thought. Still with sick hands though.
I’ve been down on Heinen but he had a strong game. 15 goals? What more can you ask in a depth role. Probably 13th if fully healthy but lol like that’s going to happen.
Been disappointed with Dumo. Guy was instrumental in our last two Cups but seems he’s on a downward trend. Feel I may have rose colored glasses with him, love the guy. But I’m seeing it now.
Please don’t let Rust/ERod be hurt badly..

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
No, unfortunately because of our piss poor play of late and Geno getting suspended, we now can't afford to rest guys like Boyle and Carter. Our primary goal needs to be to finish 3rd in the division because if we go wild card that means we have to face Florida, which is a special kind of hell.

And if by some impossible miracle we beat Florida, we'd then have to play the winner of Tampa/Toronto because we will have "switched over" to the Atlantic division. I'd rather face Carolina or the Rangers than any of those Atlantic teams in the first 2 rounds.

I'll take that. I think we stand a better chance against Florida then Toronto as opposed to the Rangers then Carolina

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

AlphaMikeFoxtrots

The Sounds of Silence
Sponsor
Oct 17, 2014
I can't remember the last time we were playing this badly going into the playoffs.
Idk, 2019 wasn't great, and 2020 was looking grim before the shutdown. Last year hurt more because they were playing more like a team that deserved to be there going in, and mostly played well enough to win if Jarrs had been even average, OR if the actual backup had been an option to relieve him. Maybe he could've gathered his chickens, maybe not.

Then there was 2015 when they didn't clinch until like the last game, and most of my Pens friends and I were thrilled they won a game out of that series. We'd been expecting a sweep.

Going back to what someone above said (sorry, forgot to quote) wrt coaching, an entire roster of NHL players - even the borderline ones - don't all forget how to hockey at once. See: the Mike Johnston experiment.

Not sure that's where we're at with Sully; he's certainly gotten the team to perform far above expectations at times - usually with a much-depleted roster over the past few seasons - and now far below them. Kind of like Disco, in that regard :sarcasm: Question still is, who would replace him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad