Post-Game Talk: |Pens vs Cats| Loss | Save 15% or more of mistakes by switching from Letang

We should:

• Total voters

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
There's no doubt Sullivan loves GCR and apparently will go down with the same ship 3 seasons in a row. If we don't get someone at the deadline you have to move Rust down or L2 is just gonna implode in the playoffs. Barring a miracle with Kapanen.

It will never ever happen if it already hasn't.

I actually quite like Sullivan but this is the same guy who was willing to salute and sink with the USS Jack Johnson when the games mattered. When he gets a thing in his head it's done.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
You have a point - but so do the concerns of many...

How to play us in the tightened playoffs isn't exactly a mystery. We have a new'ish look team, but after the Isles/Montreal series it's hard to imagine this team that gets stymied (outside of the top line) ousting that scenario... and even the top line is subject to a drought.

I mean, this is literally how every playoff team goes. Tampa barely got past the Isles last season.

There is a reason they say you need a lot of luck.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Are we playing the Isles this year?

Somehow the GCR line was able to sink the prime Capitals. I get that they shouldn’t be together, but this idea that our top five forwards stink in the playoffs is so overblown.

You're correct, they could get very lucky with matchups this year and it won't be an issue.

But if they match with FLA or TB ouch, possible ouch with Bos and Wash.... but good matchups vs NYR, Car or Tor.

But having said all of that, the pens are the softest of the 8. And their stars have been pushed too hard for too many years and all have very short fuses.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Agree that Geno needs help.

Also think it's time to really start considering whether he should be playing 2C. A wing for Sid or Teddy seems like it could be a bigger net gain than losing the old 1-2 punch... Teddy being defensively great, and creative enough to get the job done with Malkin wanting to float all over the zone. I think that's the idea of the occasional Carter move to his wing - but those two don't really play the same style. Could go Sid - Teddy - Carter - Boyle.

Before anyone rages at that...just think about what he's looked like in the last few years. He's still got so much - but trying to drive the revolving door of forwards is not his forte'. The matchups against other teams has also looked concerning. I'd like to see it at least (though probably won't - idk how open Malkin is to playing wing).
so you'd rather have a corpse of Carter and Boyle than Geno...

Reactions: Andy99

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Geno's effort on the Reinhart goal was terrible.

Thankfully he played much better once Sully mercifully removed Kapanen from his line. Let's roll with Geno-Carter for a bit.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
You're correct, they could get very lucky with matchups this year and it won't be an issue.

But if they match with FLA or TB ouch, possible ouch with Bos and Wash.... but good matchups vs NYR, Car or Tor.

But having said all of that, the pens are the softest of the 8. And their stars have been pushed too hard for too many years and all have very short fuses.

we will see. just find it curious a team that hasn’t won a playoff series in nearly 30 years is an insurmountable volcano for players with two to three cup rings.

Florida looks really good. We also scored 3 goals against them.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
IF they are going to look at Malkin at wing, which I will always think is not a smart plan, it should be discussed in the offseason... should he be offered a contract.

Will be too much a distraction the rest of the year. And I can tell you that it would go over like a lead balloon for a guy with a lot of pride, still. As it always has when it's been tried.

Also if you are going to stick him on like... Carter's wing that's just... why? It would be Crosby or nothing and obviously Crosby's line is uh... pretty set.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
If we throw Geno with Sid, who is the 2C? Blueger finally gets his shot to have legit wingers and a more offensive role? Or we ride the wheels off old man Carter?

KareemTrustfund

Domiking Simon
Jun 19, 2012
I don’t mean to laugh at your misfortune but I must admit that this story gave me quite the chuckle.

It’s my job as a father, to properly vet and accesses the appropriateness of the posts I allow my son to read, and I failed in that regard.

The new scrap book my wife made him consists only of the good natured and fun loving content of @Gurglesons….

….Wait a minute…

SON, DONT OPEN THAT SCRAPBOOOOOK

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
we will see. just find it curious a team that hasn’t won a playoff series in nearly 30 years is an insurmountable volcano for players with two to three cup rings.

Florida looks really good. We also scored 3 goals against them.

Florida has been in the league for 30 years??? Where in the hell does the time all go??

This Panthers team has the mojo. I guess they could get stuffed by a hot goalie and V collapsing, that's hockey and I hate it. Goalies are way to impactful in the sport, just my opinion, and it's been that way for years and is getting worse.

2wayPlay

Dec 25, 2018
Our bottom 6 are an offensive black hole

Malkin has no wingers even when crappy Zucker comes back (hilarious how people are actually pining for him now)

Jarry isn’t anywhere near as good as he was beginning of the season.

Other than that I like our chances.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
We got two 3rd liners for two mid-1st round picks and two of the better prospects in our admittedly miserable prospect pool, on top of the effect two-plus years of ineptitude and poor performances/production. Stings, man. :laugh:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Florida has been in the league for 30 years??? Where in the hell does the time all go??

This Panthers team has the mojo. I guess they could get stuffed by a hot goalie and V collapsing, that's hockey and I hate it. Goalies are way to impactful in the sport, just my opinion, and it's been that way for years and is getting worse.

Or you know. The same thing that has happened to them every year in recent memory. They try to outscore their defensive issues and get beat just like we do..

2wayPlay

Dec 25, 2018

It’s because modern goalie equipment takes up 98% of the net.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
IF they are going to look at Malkin at wing, which I will always think is not a smart plan, it should be discussed in the offseason... should he be offered a contract.

Will be too much a distraction the rest of the year. And I can tell you that it would go over like a lead balloon for a guy with a lot of pride, still. As it always has when it's been tried.

Also if you are going to stick him on like... Carter's wing that's just... why? It would be Crosby or nothing and obviously Crosby's line is uh... pretty set.
It's just gonna be Carter taking faceoffs since he's much better at them. After that they will swap positions.
Malkin will never be used at wing with Sully here, besides maybe twilight years if he's still around.

Reactions: Gurglesons

2wayPlay

Dec 25, 2018
It's just gonna be Carter taking faceoffs since he's much better at them. After that they will swap positions.
Malkin will never be used at wing with Sully here, besides maybe twilight years if he's still around.

If this isn’t already the twilight years….. yikes

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

So it's just a faceoff thing?

It just seems like a diminishing returns idea for the sake of a like 4ish percent bump in faceoffs. No disrespect I just don't get it.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
----- Secondary scoring is nonexistent. That's pretty much all I care about harping on because it's downright pathetic at this point how little offense we've been getting from anyone not GCR or Malkin.

If Hextall doesn't fix this by the deadline, 100% guarantee we see another first round exit, and probably in embarrassing fashion.

Reactions: 2wayPlay

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Why do fans of opposing teams need to give a Pat on the back chin up post on another teams board after they win? Pens look like crap right now don’t try and sugar coat it buster.
Cause I have friends who are penguins fans and I've caught a few of your games.

I meant no harm but I get it

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Good thing this game won’t hurt us too much in the standings since it looks like the Rags and Caps are losing…I don’t think the Pens, however, can exit this game feeling good about their game and their chances in the East…they better hope Jarry goes back to playing consistently great again…

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad