Post-Game Talk: |Pens vs Cats| Loss | Save 15% or more of mistakes by switching from Letang

We should:

• Total voters

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
gecko-geico.gif

The look I get when Letang makes another dumb*** play/penalty. Pens, outside of about 10min in the 2nd, looked very out classed. Team has been playing some very meh hockey for a while. Depth scoring is very much nonexistent. Either the team needs an espresso to wake up, or Sleepy needs to shake some things up. They did make things interesting at the end, Ill give them that.

gecko-lizard.gif

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
The Pens have done this a number of times against opponents on the second of a back to back. If you're irate about the Pens losing tonight against one of the best teams in the league, go take a chill pill or two.

Yes, they could have been better. They can always be better. This one loss isn't the end of the season.

Certain players do need to get their head out of their ass.

- I didn't have to shotgun a beer because ZAR didn't score a goal.

Reactions: TheSniper26

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Reiterating this from the game thread -- there is no evidence that Carter + Malkin actually works.

Malkin-Carter-Kapanen was the line combo in Malkin's first game back against Anaheim. They scored a goal and allowed a goal 5-on-5. They were together again the next night against LAK and gave up two goals. They were together again the following night against San Jose and were out-chanced 8-0 before being split up.

That's three games together.

Carter and Malkin were reunited on February 17 against Toronto, this time with Danton Heinen on the wing. They scored a goal and were dominant in puck possession. They stayed together the next game against Carolina and gave up a goal while being even in possession. They started the next game together against the Devils and gave up a goal before being broken up in a 6-1 loss.

That's three more games together.

Six games, with very little evidence of it actually working.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Thought they were actually going to tie that one up at the end.

Frustrating game, plenty of great chances missed.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I mean... Florida is a really good team like I said before the game. Even despite them coming off a B2B I thought the Penguins did better than expected.

You know... for a one line team suddenly enamored with making a bunch of bumblef***, low-IQ decisions all game long.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Disappointed they lost, but I think this was a legitimately even and good game overall. This team needs some scoring help beyond the top line, but I think that is old news to everyone at this point.

We lose in 4 or 5 in the playoffs against the Panthers if Hextall doesn't do much. We should have lost by 3-4 goals tonight IMO

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Also reposting this for the "sky is falling" crowd...

Penguins against Eastern Conference playoff teams this season:

Tampa - 2-1-0
Florida - 1-1-1
Toronto - 2-1-0
Washington - 1-1-1
Boston - 1-0-0
Carolina - 0-1-1
Rangers - 1-0-0

TOTAL 8-5-3

Also, every contender in the East has a shaky match-up.

Florida is 1-2 vs the Rangers.
Tampa is 1-2 vs the Panthers and Penguins.
Toronto is 1-2 vs the Penguins
Boston is 0-3 vs Carolina
Carolina is 0-1-2 vs the Panthers and 0-2 vs the Capitals
Rangers have played just one game vs Carolina and Pens, but lost both.
Caps are 0-2 vs Boston.

Match-ups will matter. So will individual performances. But the East is wide open and anyone suggesting otherwise is just pushing a particular narrative. Every team has warts.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
No depth, we had Bad Letang™, dookie power play. Not gonna beat arguably the best team in the league on many nights with those factors--even on what was a pretty off night for the Panthers. Ah well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad