Post-Game Talk: |Pens vs Cats| Loss | Save 15% or more of mistakes by switching from Letang

We should:

• Total voters

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Why though? If this team meets Florida in the playoffs they are the favorite. If this team meets Tampa or Carolina they are the favorite. Anyone else I can see PIT maybe being the favorite but we aren’t a sure thing.

PIT ain’t the best team in the league. We can play like it, but honestly the best team in the league rarely wins the cup.

And that’s why Hextall and Burkie’s approach makes sense. If a deal that makes 100% sense falls in our lap do it, otherwise why invest in changing a team that runs hit and cold?
Not disagreeing with that.

My comment was to the recent 1-1-1 record against the top 3 teams. That record is better than what our play deserves lately.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Jarry is going to have to outplay Shesterkin like he did last game and do it consistently for the Pens to win…

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Eh I feel like Zucker on Malkin's wing isn't nearly as big of an issue as it may seem. Zucker on Malkin's wing now is like Kunitz on Malkin's wing in 2017. It's not ideal, but if you have the right guy opposite of him, it's not a problem.

If you put this Kapanen on a line with Zucker and Malkin.....just send a "see you later" postcard to Geno for when he rage quits the team after the season :laugh:
Yeah, it's definitely that we rely on Zucker to do un-Zucker-like things. He's the grunt and we're relying on him to provide more production and pressure than he's realistically capable of.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
We know there's problems with the lines when people are clamoring for Jason Zucker coming off core muscle surgery
He works his skates off. Not his fault his usage here isnt to his strengths. He adds some desperately needed depth scoring.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
One thing to keep in mind - as much as everyone wants a move of some sort NOW, it's actually prudent to wait as close to the deadline as possible with players on injured reserve so as to maximize your potential cap space.

True........but trading is so much fun!!

I'm going to be honest, I miss JR. The guy was batshit crazy and wasteful at times, but he delivered the goods and kept things interesting.

Reactions: Pens x

BobCole

May 21, 2014
Check out the stat line for the following guys in the last 20 games:

Kapanen - 1G, 6A
Carter - 2G, 7A
Rodrigues - 1G, 4A
McGinn - 2G, 2A
Simon - 2G, 0A
Aston-Reese - 0G 2A

That's a combined 8 goals in 120 games from these guys.

Sure, Letang had a stinker tonight. But half of the forwards on this team have been total offensive ghosts for ~1/2 of the season. This concerns me much more than some boneheaded plays by Letang.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
We don't need a major overhaul to be dangerous. We already are dangerous when wenare playing our best. Just need to move on from guys who don't impact the game. To me that's guys like Kapanen and ZAR, but realistically only Kapanen will be considered for trade. You can't have deadweight on a line with a 35 year old Malkin, he ain't 25 anymore. Front office needs to find someone who fits or just admit that they're not really serious about making a run this year.

Still think this team has a lot of potential in the playoffs.

Reactions: wheelz87

KareemTrustfund

Domiking Simon
Jun 19, 2012
Brother, I am not trying to tell you how to be a Dad, but you have to try to encourage Breighdon to achieve great feats by getting him off the Xbox and into a great book! Just my OPINION!

I’ve tried that before , but it backfired BIG TIME. Breighdon is always on HF, and he was talking about his favourite poster, Ragamuffin Gunner. I thought , great, I’ll print out a bunch of Ragamuffin Gunner posts and make a neat little scrap book so he can read all those posts before bed time. I really wanted to get him excited about reading!

Now he just goes around calling his brothers and mum a bunch of f***ing losers.

Victor Z

Trade me right f**king now!
Sponsor
Apr 10, 2018
The Burgh
Decent game, crowd was a letdown compared to the last game and I actually think that sucked a little life out of the Pens.

Florida definitely has another gear and style, not sure the Pens could match either.

Wish the Pens would inject something in the lineup to spark, but their record deems any change unnecessary.

Their record -- and their coach (and their GM too, presumably).

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Yes, Malkin Crosby Rust and Guentzel have been pummeled every playoffs.

Malkin gives as much as he gets, but the Isles wrecked L1 last year. Poor Jake looked near death by the end of the series.

Rumor had it that Reaves offered to come play in a disguise for one game to make it stop, Sully put the kabosh on it..

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
+++Sid/Jake

+/- Geno (with Carter)
-Geno (without Carter)

----Letang
----Dumo
---Kapanen. It's over for him here.
-Jarry wasn't very good.

----The PK was not as good as its numbers, with or without Blueger. Or it was very bailed out by luck & Jarry.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
We don't need a major overhaul to be dangerous. We already are dangerous when wenare playing our best. Just need to move on from guys who don't impact the game. To me that's guys like Kapanen and ZAR, but realistically only Kapanen will be considered for trade. You can't have deadweight on a line with a 35 year old Malkin, he ain't 25 anymore. Front office needs to find someone who fits or just admit that they're not really serious about making a run this year.

Still think this team has a lot of potential in the playoffs.

I've heard tales from olden days that Malkin and Rust used to be... a Duo™

Crazy, I know. We speak not of those times.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Yall got a quality quality team. I got Sullivan as my Adams winner personally.

I'm glad we don't gotta worry about yall the rest of the way till at least May if things work out. My heart was pumping while I was cooking my family's dinner lol. Almost cut myself.

Enjoy the rest of the year.

2wayPlay

Dec 25, 2018
Check out the stat line for the following guys in the last 20 games:

Kapanen - 1G, 6A
Carter - 2G, 7A
Rodrigues - 1G, 4A
McGinn - 2G, 2A
Simon - 2G, 0A
Aston-Reese - 0G 2A

That's a combined 8 goals in 120 games from these guys.

Sure, Letang had a stinker tonight. But half of the forwards on this team have been total offensive ghosts for ~1/2 of the season. This concerns me much more than some boneheaded plays by Letang.

Wow that’s this team in a nutshell we have no secondary scoring or depth. Blugs and shitty Zucker are not turning this tide around.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Malkin gives as much as he gets, but the Isles wrecked L1 last year. Poor Jake looked near death by the end of the series.

Rumor had it that Reaves offered to come play in a disguise for one game to make it stop, Sully put the kabosh on it..

Are we playing the Isles this year?

Somehow the GCR line was able to sink the prime Capitals. I get that they shouldn’t be together, but this idea that our top five forwards stink in the playoffs is so overblown.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Agree that Geno needs help.

Also think it's time to really start considering whether he should be playing 2C. A wing for Sid or Teddy seems like it could be a bigger net gain than losing the old 1-2 punch... Teddy being defensively great, and creative enough to get the job done with Malkin wanting to float all over the zone. I think that's the idea of the occasional Carter move to his wing - but those two don't really play the same style. Could go Sid - Teddy - Carter - Boyle.

Before anyone rages at that...just think about what he's looked like in the last few years. He's still got so much - but trying to drive the revolving door of forwards is not his forte'. The matchups against other teams has also looked concerning. I'd like to see it at least (though probably won't - idk how open Malkin is to playing wing).

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I don’t know why a one goal loss to a juggernaut has anyone musing about letting Letang go or whether or not it’s even worth it to make a trade.

Reactions: Gurglesons

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
I’ve tried that before , but it backfired BIG TIME. Breighdon is always on HF, and he was talking about his favourite poster, Ragamuffin Gunner. I thought , great, I’ll print out a bunch of Ragamuffin Gunner posts and make a neat little scrap book so he can read all those posts before bed time. I really wanted to get him excited about reading!

Now he just goes around calling his brothers and mum a bunch of f***ing losers.
I don’t mean to laugh at your misfortune but I must admit that this story gave me quite the chuckle.

Reactions: KareemTrustfund

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
I've heard tales from olden days that Malkin and Rust used to be... a Duo™

Crazy, I know. We speak not of those times.

There's no doubt Sullivan loves GCR and apparently will go down with the same ship 3 seasons in a row. If we don't get someone at the deadline you have to move Rust down or L2 is just gonna implode in the playoffs. Barring a miracle with Kapanen.

2wayPlay

Dec 25, 2018
Yall got a quality quality team. I got Sullivan as my Adams winner personally.

I'm glad we don't gotta worry about yall the rest of the way till at least May if things work out. My heart was pumping while I was cooking my family's dinner lol. Almost cut myself.

Enjoy the rest of the year.

Why do fans of opposing teams need to give a Pat on the back chin up post on another teams board after they win? Pens look like crap right now don’t try and sugar coat it buster.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida

Somehow the GCR line was able to sink the prime Capitals. I get that they shouldn’t be together, but this idea that our top five forwards stink in the playoffs is so overblown.

You have a point - but so do the concerns of many...

How to play us in the tightened playoffs isn't exactly a mystery. We have a new'ish look team, but after the Isles/Montreal series it's hard to imagine this team that gets stymied (outside of the top line) ousting that scenario... and even the top line is subject to a drought.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010

GCR was a sieve the last two years when it mattered. It's ok to admit they have periods of offensive dominance while also shitting the bed in our zone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad