Salary Cap: Pens trade talk Episode XXIV: Sleepy where are you?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
yeah, and so is Boyle…I mean I don’t think size is a problem in our forward ranks…speed (not just foot speed, but speed of decision making under pressure) is more of an issue to get on the forecheck and back check quicker…we could use size more in our D ranks, however, but only if Sully is allowing them to take the body in the crease
If size is his thing, Angello, Zohorna, and O'Connor have it in spades.

Reactions: Andy99

BigEezyE22

Continuing to not support HF.
Feb 2, 2007
Jersey
I liked Kapanen and Zucker, but this team literally destroyed one's confidence and the other one is questioning if he plays hard enough (he f***ing does).

Meanwhile, top line gives zero f***s because they're the safest trio in the league, they can throw random passes to no one and turn pucks over and back check like lazy f***s and will never be tinkered with.

I'm at the point where I love Kap on this team and I love seeing Zucker as a Penguin, but their usage is so bad, Hextall is better off moving them at this stage. I wouldn't be shocked to see both revert back to solid NHL'ers away from this situation. I just feel bad for Malkin. He's proven to have better stats with G & R than Sid has ever had, but he's been asked to make Heinen, a broken Kapanen, and Carter into legit 2nd line wingers while playing on a rebuilt knee and rust.

Meanwhile (not his fault), Sid got 2 of the best wingers and had an easier route with his wrist return.
GENO! GENO! GENO!

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
I'm still on board with getting Nick Paul from Ottawa

Big, Fast LW/C thats very defensively responsible...would do wonders for either line 2 LW or 3C.

Give them a 2nd+ZAR or something

Is Burke even working? Get him involved he wants long pants hockey right?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Sullivan isn't coaching for his job and maybe that's the problem. He knows he's safe. And if he rolls GCR and whatever he won't have to answer for another 1st round exit. Bc that's 'the best lineup' he had to work with.

Just been less than impressed with Sullivan lately and I'm not patient with coaches regardless of past history if they are showing negative trends without correction.

This is the problem for me. The negative trends have been there the last 3-4 seasons. When a coach boasts about a philosophy and way he wants to use the line-up and then strays from it consistently during the struggles and doubles down on stubbornness, there's a problem.

Like I mentioned before, Sully preached the pairs method and it's what won him 2 cups with him juggling things in that method. But the moment GCR became a thing, he let it remain a thing and ignored fixing the rest.

The best line-up bit - Utilization would be a key factor here, if Hextall isn't seeing it, we're f***ed.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
GENO! GENO! GENO!

Geno every day when he sees the line-up...

pittsburgh-penguins-evgeni-malkin.gif

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I would expect Pittsburgh to make a fairly sizable move as well as a complimentary add. Nothing crazy but something that should move us forward a bit.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Yeah not sure what the fascination with Fischer and Clutterf*** are about. Like we need more of that type?

I'd be down for Nick Cousins if we moved out Simon and ZAR. But not really interested in Clutterbuck, I just know that would end very poorly and the Isles aren't going to be doing the Pens any favors with his contract and retaining without taking Hextall to the cleaners. As for Fischer, the lad is broken. Dvorak was a solid player and was finally freed from that dumpster known as Arizona. But Fischer? He's regressed into a player that they should probably bench.

I would rather let Angello up and play over moving for Fischer. At least Cousins is a solid player that has continued to be a rock solid bottom 6 player that plays with an edge.

What does Nick Cousins honestly bring us that Fischer or Clutterbuck wouldn't besides it being "your guy" vs "someone else's guy"?

I'd rather just move ZAR for 2 of their 2nd round picks they've hoarded like mad.

I'd specifically want the Flyers one for the laughs, then the Canucks one as a f*** you to JR.

Why would anyone give us a 2nd for UFA ZAR? Not saying no but....

I would be happy to swap out ZAR for Clutterbuck, but I don't know how you can make that cap work and it would likely cost you assets to do that.

If they stick with the Malkin-Carter duo on the 2nd line, I think the only spot I'd like to see upgraded on is with ZAR. At the same time, I don't want to spend assets to do that because you can just play O'Connor there and likely get that upgrade.

Zucker-Malkin-Carter is a completely good enough second line for the playoffs.

I would love if DOC could get a shot at 2LW. I think we overlook him as a future impact player.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
I would expect Pittsburgh to make a fairly sizable move as well as a complimentary add. Nothing crazy but something that should move us forward a bit.

Who's a Carter like pickup? Seems to be a similar move we'll see...

JVR from Philly?

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Who's a Carter like pickup? Seems to be a similar move we'll see...

JVR from Philly?
I feel sure KK is gonna be moved with another asset. I think the Canucks are a good trade partner for obvious reasons.

Also maybe a mid rounder for a depth player.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

The issue is their idea of fairly sizable probably differs quite a bit from what this board is hoping/wanting.

My wishlist (likely won't happen):
-Add a legit scoring threat for Malkin's line
-Upgrade the D so Ruhwedel is the 7th D in the playoffs
-Add a more reliable backup than DeSmith
-Remove ZAR and replace him with someone who actually does something tangible either on the scoreboard or a legit physical presence

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The issue is their idea of fairly sizable probably differs quite a bit from what this board is hoping/wanting.

-Remove ZAR and replace him with someone who actually does something tangible either on the scoreboard or a legit physical presence

I don’t see either of these happening.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I would say f*** it and bait Alvin/JR into this:

ZAR + Kapanen + 2nd round pick 2023, Gruden/Bjorkqvist/AA for Schenn + Boeser (17% retained).

GCR
Heinen, Malkin, Boeser
Zucker, Carter, Rodrigues
Boyle/Simon/Zohorna, Blueger, McGinn

Dumoulin, Letang
Matheson, Schenn
Pettersson, Marino

This makes the most sense, and face it, it's not like they lied to everyone about making Crosby comfortable moving forward. Just because we may not like it, it was their plan all along. It's not like they didn't appease Malkin at all, Kappy just has not taken that next step like all hoped. I'd say he has regressed.

There's a way to keep both Boeser and Rust if you ship Zucker and his 5.5 out in the summer.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017

Of course when I say fairly sizable that can be subjective. Maybe on the level of Neal-Horny? And also a complimentary piece to bolster the 4th line or bottom pair on defense. I agree with the thought of Schenn from the Vaunted Canucks.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
My views for the playoffs:

GCR isn't strong enough defensively or physically. One of Guentzel or Rust should move to Geno and replaced with a more physical player.

Carter with Geno. They work together and the faceoffs are a major bonus.

McGinn-Blueger have great chemistry for a 3rd line

Every other wing should be given runs within this structure to see who fits where.

Ideally we get some type of upgrade to our F corps to help as either a top 6 third wheel or a strong 3rd line player.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
My views for the playoffs:

GCR isn't strong enough defensively or physically. One of Guentzel or Rust should move to Geno and replaced with a more physical player.

Carter with Geno. They work together and the faceoffs are a major bonus.

McGinn-Blueger have great chemistry for a 3rd line

Every other wing should be given runs within this structure to see who fits where.

Ideally we get some type of upgrade to our F corps to help as either a top 6 third wheel or a strong 3rd line player.
Right on with Blueger and McGinn, those two were a solid combo at both ends of the ice and on the PK. Getting TB back gives us (hopefully) a better version of McGinn as well.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Right on with Blueger and McGinn, those two were a solid combo at both ends of the ice and on the PK. Getting TB back gives us (hopefully) a better version of McGinn as well.

Blueger is such an incredible hockey player. He's worked at his craft and is damn good at it. For sure McGinn gels with him.

I mean look at how good he made ZAR and Tanev look? ZAR should've cut a 500K check from this year to Teddy as a thank you

Reactions: Ryder71

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
This makes the most sense, and face it, it's not like they lied to everyone about making Crosby comfortable moving forward. Just because we may not like it, it was their plan all along. It's not like they didn't appease Malkin at all, Kappy just has not taken that next step like all hoped. I'd say he has regressed.

There's a way to keep both Boeser and Rust if you ship Zucker and his 5.5 out in the summer.

Zucker is one I would definitely move in the off season as well, both he and Kapanen look more streaky than usual and it's not like Kapanen has by some insane margin regressed if at all, his career ppg with the Leafs was something like .45ppg, as a Penguin he's .59ppg, so I hesitate to even move him, as he's very streaky. Boeser has this Neal-ness to him with how he'd find chemistry with Geno.

I mean I would have loved to just move Zucker for Boeser, but Zucker might have some NTC/NMC blocking moves to Canada.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
good lord, no…have you seen his contract?

You missed my point. I don't want him but Hextall has ties there. I'm just trying to get in Hextalls mind. It's a player that would need to be at 50% retained with 1.5 seasons left.

Just looking for previous teams where he may look at a guy and think 'ya, that's a savvy, reasonable cost move'

Hope I'm wrong on this lol

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
For what it is worth TFP has us linked to Rickard Rackell

another no please…this guy is so overrated …he’s like the board’s Zucker before we got Zucker and everyone was disappointed…he’s not a consistent offensive or scoring threat…that’s what we need…not another “solid” middle six option…we don’t need a Rackell, we need a Panarin lol

Reactions: Jobeycool

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
What does Nick Cousins honestly bring us that Fischer or Clutterbuck wouldn't besides it being "your guy" vs "someone else's guy"?

Outside of being a very good 3rd/4th line player that brings an edge, can play in all situations, can also produce at a respectable clip in those limited usages and play C fairly well and LW?

He plays with the kind of sandpaper we need while also being young enough with a good track record of sustained ability with where he's at right now. Clutterbuck is on the down swing, he's older and doesn't have that much bite left in his game that won't hurt us, Fischer is a mess, a massive project and this isn't a Penguins team that needs another veteran on the down swing and a project player that is probably in need of going to Europe to gain some confidence and freedom before he returns a different player at maybe 25-26yrs old.

So he's not just "my guy" - He's 28, has a lot of good pedigree for a team wanting to win in the playoffs and he plays the brand of hockey that allows the Pens to grind teams with a 3rd/4th liner that can play LW/C and chip in.

Why would anyone give us a 2nd for UFA ZAR? Not saying no but....

I would love if DOC could get a shot at 2LW. I think we overlook him as a future impact player.

Because he's amazeballs at defense and all that jazz, mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad