Salary Cap: Pens trade talk Episode XXIV: Sleepy where are you?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jobeycool

Jun 20, 2019
another no please…this guy is so overrated …he’s like the board’s Zucker before we got Zucker and everyone was disappointed…he’s not a consistent offensive or scoring threat…that’s what we need…not another “solid” middle six option…we don’t need a Rackell, we need a Panarin lol
not anyone we can afford anyways lol

Reactions: Andy99

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
I would love if DOC could get a shot at 2LW. I think we overlook him as a future impact player.

I'm all for giving young players a shot. But I'm still thinking, at best DOC is a good 4th line guy. Still believe Zohorna is Geno's dark horse LW. Why not give em a few games there with Carter and see what happens. Might solve a lot of problems in the here and now.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
The issue is their idea of fairly sizable probably differs quite a bit from what this board is hoping/wanting.

My wishlist (likely won't happen):
-Add a legit scoring threat for Malkin's line
-Upgrade the D so Ruhwedel is the 7th D in the playoffs
-Add a more reliable backup than DeSmith
-Remove ZAR and replace him with someone who actually does something tangible either on the scoreboard or a legit physical presence
A lot of this should have been addressed in the off season, it’s not hindsight beyond Kap turning to trash. ZAR and DeSmith sucked heading into the season.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'm all for giving young players a shot. But I'm still thinking, at best DOC is a good 4th line guy. Still believe Zohorna is Geno's dark horse LW. Why not give em a few games there with Carter and see what happens. Might solve a lot of problems in the here and now.

Well, with how DOC has been developed into a ZAR type, yeah, we'll never know if he ever had any talent unless they trade/liberate him to a team that will give him a shot with talent better than Dominik Simon and Brian Boyle.

I know some won't remember but when Drew was up and looked good for a couple of games, he wasn't been stomped into some 4th line usage, the better players he played with, the better he looked. All I wanted was to see him on Geno's LW for like 3-5 games.

The funniest shit will be that when we had DOC up, we controlled the play more with his line, not with ZAR. So even then, DOC was doing what he needed to and was still not promoted the way others are.

Last edited:

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Well, with how DOC has been developed into a ZAR type, yeah, we'll never know if he ever had any talent unless they trade/liberate him to a team that will give him a shot with talent better than Dominik Simon and Brian Boyle.

I know some won't remember but when Drew was up and looked good for a couple of games, he wasn't been stomped into some 4th line usage, the better players he played with, the better he looked. All I wanted was to see him on Geno's LW for like 3-5 games.
Our dumbass coach probably thinks playing with these AHL clowns is good for someone’s career.

Jobeycool

Jun 20, 2019
Maybe in the off season if Hextall and Burke don't run out of money on Letang and Malkin which they prob will re-sign with the Pens, we can build a playoff team with free agents that are decent if they can get them to come .

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Ok. Tired of all the posts this year whining about lack of originality when talking about a small group of players almost daily. Artificial boundaries all over the place. I give up.

You create the fresh team related topics/threads (that we've somehow never discussed) and I'll only participate in those board approved conversations.

There are spam level posters here that people constantly engage with. I don’t understand. Also, it’s a trade thread and people are bitching about tired shit, I’m not a mod, so I’m allowed to criticize the super boring and irrelevant posts people make with the same posters over and over again without actually policing discussion.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
There are spam level posters here that people constantly engage with. I don’t understand. Also, it’s a trade thread and people are bitching about tired shit, I’m not a mod, so I’m allowed to criticize the super boring and irrelevant posts people make with the same posters over and over again without actually policing discussion.
I find that comical coming from you, a bloke that victim blames and likes to write off racist actions by players as nothing but "misunderstood" things.

Then you criticize the mods here? The fact that you aren't permanently banned for your previous racist comments and then minimizing the last discussion in the NHL thread about new incidents, those criticisms are insanely misplaced and don't mistake this for glad handing, our Pens mods have given me warning points and bans before.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yeah, I think so.
I think the target should be a LW if anything, the Malkin-Kapanen thing could work if they just keep them together and let them work it out. But that LW, we've seen that it just doesn't work with Zucker/Heinen/McGinn and Carter with Geno just doesn't look good enough to me to think that should be a solve either.

Let me use Sully's own discarded strategy...the pairs.

LW, Geno, Kap
Zucker, Carter, RW

Those should be the pairs, ideally I'd love to have Zucker, Blueger, McGinn be a line, but we'll never see it, I think the trio would compliment each other immensely.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I think the target should be a LW if anything, the Malkin-Kapanen thing could work if they just keep them together and let them work it out. But that LW, we've seen that it just doesn't work with Zucker/Heinen/McGinn and Carter with Geno just doesn't look good enough to me to think that should be a solve either.

Let me use Sully's own discarded strategy...the pairs.

LW, Geno, Kap
Zucker, Carter, RW

Those should be the pairs, ideally I'd love to have Zucker, Blueger, McGinn be a line, but we'll never see it, I think the trio would compliment each other immensely.

My problem with Carter with Malkin is that both are kinda slow at this point in their careers. Or at least, slow acceleration-wise. They both have decent speed once when they get going.

But hockey now is so transition-based that that combination is going to struggle to get pucks up ice effectively.

Reactions: Andy99

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
My problem with Carter with Malkin is that both are kinda slow at this point in their careers. Or at least, slow acceleration-wise. They both have decent speed once when they get going.

But hockey now is so transition-based that that combination is going to struggle to get pucks up ice effectively.

They aren't that slow. Why I'd like a fast Wing with them though for sure. Also just have Matheson behind them to help transition.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Maybe in the off season if Hextall and Burke don't run out of money on Letang and Malkin which they prob will re-sign with the Pens, we can build a playoff team with free agents that are decent if they can get them to come .

The main reason why free agents won't come here is that the main parts are mostly filled and they won't get top playing time. That's why significant adds are by way of trade.

What you are going to get are the Brock McGinn's of the world because the bottom six is the bottom six. Carter re-signed probably knowing he'll be in the top six more often than not with how this team loses their top two centers (mainly Geno) just about each and every season.

Last edited:

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
They aren't that slow. Why I'd like a fast Wing with them though for sure. Also just have Matheson behind them to help transition.

They're not pylons or anything but they're average speed at best imo. In theory Malkin having two speedy wingers in Kap/Zucker makes a lot of sense. It's too bad that combination doesn't work because on paper it's what you'd want.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
They're not pylons or anything but they're average speed at best imo. In theory Malkin having two speedy wingers in Kap/Zucker makes a lot of sense. It's too bad that combination doesn't work because on paper it's what you'd want.

Ya those two just haven't worked with him. Unfortunately I feel Carter is needed there to help Geno on draws as well.

They work well together I'd look to balance them with a wing that has either some speed or thinks the game fast...like some mentioned Pavelski but I don't see us getting him.

Reactions: Pancakes

Jobeycool

Jun 20, 2019
The main reason why free agents won't come here is that the main parts are mostly filled and they won't get top playing time. That's why significant adds are by way of trade.

What you are going to get are the Brock McGinn's of the world because the bottom six is the bottom six. Carter re-signed probably knowing he'll be in the top six more often than not with how this team loses their top two centers (mainly Geno) just about each and every season.
Maybe they won't resign Geno ..I don't know what is going to happen it is not lookin to good for this team in the playoffs...but they are a pretty good team other than that.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I don't know that speed should really be the top priority re: L2. I think in some ways this team has gotten a bit over-enamored with speed the last few years without considering things like "does this player have better puck skills/IQ than an old potato" and such.

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
Not sure why anyone is concluding that what this team needs is less defense, when we've given up four goals in each of the past three games. Nor am I sure why anyone is concluding that we need fewer players who work hard when he gave up a goal in the first ten seconds of a period last game. Twice.

I’ve had to hear all season how the fourth line doesn’t matter. Now, we might suddenly have a respectable fourth line, it matters again? I guess that’s just a coincidence.
You've had to hear all season about how the fourth line doesn't matter with regard to scoring goals, because putting up offense isn't what a fourth line is for. A fourth line matters with regard to defense, because defensive play is what a fourth line is for.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Who's a Carter like pickup? Seems to be a similar move we'll see...

JVR from Philly?

Stastny, I think would be the closet. With WPG most likely missing playoffs, hes going to be moved. WPG is gona be sellers a the deadline.
Stastny
Copp
Ehlers may go too

They need money for Dubois

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Stastny, I think would be the closet. With WPG most likely missing playoffs, hes going to be moved. WPG is gona be sellers a the deadline.
Stastny
Copp
Ehlers may go too

They need money for Dubois

wow, we should be all over Ehlers if he’s available…definitely worth a first and our top prospect

Reactions: Darren McCord
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad