Salary Cap: Pens trade talk Episode XXIV: Sleepy where are you?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
You’ll get no argument from me.... I’ve been anti-Sully since sabotaged Reaves and then Sprong.

He’s an arrogant meathead.....still think Morehouse is the real problem.
Sprong was more JR's fault imo than Sully.

Did Sullivan pout like a baby when trying to utilize Sprong properly even in a bad situation? Most definitely.

But JR should have never had him up and burned his first year. Sprong should have spent a solid 2yrs in the AHL to round out his game, instead they f***ed with his up and downs from WBS to Pens and his waiver eligibility. Had they not wasted 2015-16 on 18 games where he was insanely wasted, they would have been able to drop him down to WBS in 2018-19. Sprong is still 24 and looks lost 80% of the time in the NHL.

One would have to be brain damaged to think the Penguins weren't directly responsible for his developmental f*** up, most of it anyway.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Every year is different. Can't just ignore the quality of opponent.

We're on pace for NYR R1 right? Shesterkin is .939 right now.

I won't be grouping this year together with 2019 or 2020 just because I'm pissed they're out.

It's not the same.
Rangers have just a lot of weird factors to keep in mind too. Sure they were rolling hard with Sheshterkin being insane in net, but their offense with Gallant has been interesting and this is a team that is just waiting to see Kakko and Lafreniere break out and boy would it be our luck for it to happen in Round 1 vs the Penguins where Sully would just stick to it with his system and lines while GG would have his way.

On paper the Pens should win, on paper...

Do I think that's enough? Lol, no. Kreider, Zibanejad, Panarin, Trouba, Fox, and Strome are all something to be worried about and who knows what the Rangers go after at the TDL to add depth. They have 6m in cap space, they could add some rentals that could really change the match up. I mean watch this be the year Mika breaks his no points streak vs the Pens in the playoffs and Kreider does more damage, Panarin has never faced the Pens as a Ranger or Jacket but he's money vs the Eastern teams in the playoffs (6pts in 6 vs Bos, 7pts in 6 vs Was, 5pts in 4 vs TB, 2pts in 3gm vs CAR).

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Regarding Poulin, all that I'm recalling is that he was supposed to be a big bodied top 6 winger who was proficient at both ends of the ice. He himself compared his playing style to Landeskog.

Morozov was often the best player on the ice when I was watching Tankov's team early this season.
Watch the pens get Morozov and Sully puts him on the 4th line, it'd be full circle.

Reactions: Pens x

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Stats seem to disagree with that pretty drastically when giving the more pertinent categories a look over.

Not saying Jarry hasn’t been mostly very good.
Mostly very good is some real shit stat watching assessment. Jarry won games where the Penguins had zero business winning even 1pt, where the defense was a f***ing joke and was doing its mickey mouse bullshit in his own zone in front of him.

I'd say a good 15 games are Jarry winning it on sheer brass bollocks being pissed off with his defense fueling him.

The funniest shit about this is that goalies get zero credit for how f***ing good they are when they are winning, Crosby can go on 5 games with 0pts, or Jake a couple of stinker games or Rust, or Malkin, etc, but if Jarry has a stinker game, it's a loss or barely a win if he battles back. Goalies don't get the f***ing rope players get, like Crosby going 2 playoffs being a ghost with Jake, etc.

Jarry last year was equivalent to Crosby's (and Jake's) last 3yrs in the playoffs, but one has earned enough benefit while the other in his first full year during a pandemic bubble season, showed he needed support with a back-up that wasn't even in the NHL the year before as his player to lean on.

And what has the team done to support him? A back-up that is up and down and mostly trash, no veteran support, but hey, Crosby up until 31yrs of age, needed a veteran to help with leadership. Weird.

This year, Jarry has fueled most of his wins on just sheer will.

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Kinda disagree, but you're missing my overall point though. This is the deepest playoff pool we have ever seen in the Crosby era.

To win the Cup this year would require a truly Herculean effort from the Pens, one unlike ever before. Even winning a round would be admirable.

And that's not because of the roster, but because of getting 3-4 beasts in a row and the toll it would take to keep pushing forward.

The path is just a nightmare. Hats off to any champion that comes out of this conference.

I don’t really see the conference as being that amazing. I think a lot of the point pacing has to do with COVID tbh.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Maybe it's foolish of me but I'm not nearly as worried about other teams beating the Penguins straight up as I am the Penguins beating themselves.

On a player-by-player basis I don't see the Penguins as overly-deficient compared to any team out there.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Maybe it's foolish of me but I'm not nearly as worried about other teams beating the Penguins straight up as I am the Penguins beating themselves.

On a player-by-player basis I don't see the Penguins as overly-deficient compared to any team out there.
Mike Bylsma killed our team in ‘19 and ‘20, and Jarry finished us off last year, with an assist from Bylsma for not sitting him. Honorable mention to GCR for also sinking the ship over those three years. We have been our own biggest enemy.

mephisto1812

Mar 28, 2013
Mike Bylsma killed our team in ‘19 and ‘20, and Jarry finished us off last year, with an assist from Bylsma for not sitting him. Honorable mention to GCR for also sinking the ship over those three years. We have been our own biggest enemy.

The Bylsma/Sully Schtick you have going is getting seriously old.... if not downright annoying.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

I'd argue that when other teams get their stars back from injury tend to actually get better and less conflict within the roster to keep doing well.

Colorado/Florida.

Very well could be the finals, and one I'd be up for watching without the Pens involved. Last years Montreal/Tampa was a joke.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I'd argue that when other teams get their stars back from injury tend to actually get better and less conflict within the roster to keep doing well.

Colorado/Florida.

Very well could be the finals, and one I'd be up for watching without the Pens involved. Last years Montreal/Tampa was a joke.

Yeah weird how that works on like every other team outside of this one.

Obviously Sid/Malkin's fault, though.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

Colorado/Florida.

Yeah I wonder how bad things get when Zucker + Blueger return and they still can't figure out where Zucker goes and works best for his abilities. I mean I am skeptical the Pens can wake up and start making the changes necessary to be a match up nightmare, but when you keep doing the same things hoping for different results in the line-up and act like you've exhausted all avenues, I dunno...I have a hard time hoping for anything.

The Bylsma/Sully Schtick you have going is getting seriously old.... if not downright annoying.
Who is talking about those two?

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Blueger? I know you base this off his shooting percentage. You might want to go back and actually looked how he scored half his goals last year. He doesn't have a great amount of typical shots, he scored half his goals with an empty net fortunate bounce off the back boards, and a couple on the PK that trickled through a couple goalies that were not really what I consider shots to call him a sniper/goal scorer, more than half his goals last year. This is not without saying he has some nice shots for goals, but it's not enough to sway me to put him on Geno's or Sid's wing. That would never cross my mind good shooting percentage or not.

Look at this years, empty net to start off the season, his next one was and attempted bad pass that happen to trickle through Fleury who was expecting it to go to McGinn sliding over. Blueger posting up in front of the net half open for a pass shoot in. 2 goal game in Montreal, a 6-0 drumming, 1st goal being a 2 on 0 that ZAR passed to him with the goalie froze and he got it up (first real shot goal), goal #2 that he got in tight on the goalie that trickled in, starting to notice a trend? His next goal was a nice shot from a nice feed from Dumo and ZAR's net front locking the goalie in place with a screen. His next is another one on one with the goalie on the PK, but much better puck control finish. His last goal this season was a empty net due to Boyle's semi breakaway off the glove of the goalie.

Conclusion, Teddy needs a lot of one on ones (breakaways) with the goalie or partial to full open nets to score goals.

This is a case where SH% is not an outlier to being a goal scorer. He might have out of 15 goals over the last 2 seasons scored goals 4/5 times with a clean shot to beat a goalie in normal circumstances in much too small of sample sizes.

Go back and look at them.

Just a reminder, and I almost did this back at those pages back where you brought it up.

Do you both want to rebuff some of this?

TB's role is what has kept him in this league, had he not worked hard at his role given to him because, depth on the team was not going to allow him to be a regular top 9 let alone a top 2 line player. Players sometimes have to embrace a role to stay relevant, which is what TB did. It however, doesn't mean he's better than what he is. He's making the most of his role, the role he fits into. Maybe he can be a rover type much Like Talbot was, but Talbot in his youth before he was drafted was a skilled offensive player who himself embraced a role to stay relevant.

I don't see the similarities.

Most of TB's plays are one and done. He doesn't strike me as a give and go make 3 plays happen consecutively with his line mates to the promise land type of guy consistently.
No, I don't wanna recant. You're assuming way too much about my thoughts on this and basing your whole post off it. I don't look at players with that shallow of a lens as to look at a shooting % and say that's the only reason they can work somewhere.

These are the reasons why I would try that:

- Malkin isn't really showing chemistry with anyone 5v5 and it's concerning. His lines have also been defensive liabilities. We have tried several wingers and it's not working. Guentzel+Rust is the closest thing to a lock for being a fit with him that I can think of.
Sid could find chemistry with others and we could get more out of the top 6 as a whole, especially defensively.

- Blueger is a strong 5v5 2-way player. He's intelligent. His playstyle is highly adaptive. GCR is hemorrhaging HDCA's all over the place. For as much as they are doing offensively, it's come at a heavy cost. Jarry has limited the damage but they're super lucky it's not worse.
Blue is a guy I could see working well on the walls with Sid and not throwing the puck away. He is an underrated playmaker, and yes, does have a good shot and patience. He would backcheck hard and negate some of the damage the other way.

- I never said he's a prototypical top 6 winger, but it's something that could work in our particular situation. It would provide balance.
For example you could do Blueger + McGinn with Sid. Both Blueger and McGinn have scored a lot in very defensive roles. They have shown excellent chemistry with each other this year. They would be a stingy line. It's a line I could see being a net positive in a playoff series, providing easier matchups for GMR and L3. That would make GMR your L1 for all intents and purposes, and you could roll out Heinen - Carter - ERod as your L3.

- Blueger does not have a lot of shots because he's getting 70% D-zone draws and playing with ZAR. Teddy's 1.80 5v5 P/P60 last year is pretty much top 6 worthy, despite the role he's in. This year it's slightly lower, but he's compensated with a higher % of goals and has almost played all his games with a winger who has 1 goal on the season.
So you're saying it's all luck? Good offense in extremely defensive roles in back to back years and it's all horseshoes? Unlikely.
I'm not gonna call him a true sniper or anything of the sort, but he's no blockhead who puts it into the goalie's logo either. He makes goalies work.

GMR worked because there was no Sid. There was no sharing top minutes/PP.
This makes no sense at all. We're talking about 5v5 play, not PP. With Crosby out, that meant Malkin's line got the toughest D-pairs assigned to them. Despite this, they scored at the best rate 5v5 relative to usage of all lines in the league. Malkin led the NHL in P/P60. Rust was among the very best RW's. Guentzel the same among LW's.
It worked because they had major chemistry, and may still. Unless they're tried again we won't know. In our current situation, I don't really see the harm in seeing what happens. The team is struggling 5v5 and a shake up is in order.

To conclude on Blueger, I never said he could do WAY more in an offensive role, but I feel he could do more than people expect. Not a detriment at the very least. Goal scoring was not my main motive in bringing it up.

I straight up disagree with you that he doesn't have more to give offensively. We've always seen him in checking roles and don't know how it would go. This 30 game stretch is a very good time to tinker with the lineup with the playoff picture all but being locked in in the East.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Rangers have just a lot of weird factors to keep in mind too. Sure they were rolling hard with Sheshterkin being insane in net, but their offense with Gallant has been interesting and this is a team that is just waiting to see Kakko and Lafreniere break out and boy would it be our luck for it to happen in Round 1 vs the Penguins where Sully would just stick to it with his system and lines while GG would have his way.

On paper the Pens should win, on paper...

Do I think that's enough? Lol, no. Kreider, Zibanejad, Panarin, Trouba, Fox, and Strome are all something to be worried about and who knows what the Rangers go after at the TDL to add depth. They have 6m in cap space, they could add some rentals that could really change the match up. I mean watch this be the year Mika breaks his no points streak vs the Pens in the playoffs and Kreider does more damage, Panarin has never faced the Pens as a Ranger or Jacket but he's money vs the Eastern teams in the playoffs (6pts in 6 vs Bos, 7pts in 6 vs Was, 5pts in 4 vs TB, 2pts in 3gm vs CAR).
It's getting to the point where even on paper NYR is getting close too. They are improving their weaknesses from earlier in the year. Getting pretty scary for us.

You got a Vezina goalie in net. Norris stud on the blue line. Kreider's playing like Jesus. Panarin's stepping it up after a slow start. Zibanejad is back to point per game. Strome is f***ing solid. Miller and Trouba would be nasty to face in a series. And yeah, if the kids get going then things really start to get dangerous for us.

Last edited:

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018

For sure, that could very well happen. But it's also pretty likely an opponent just takes us to the woodshed off their own power, especially if we draw TB or Carolina or something.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I’ve had to hear all season how the fourth line doesn’t matter. Now, we might suddenly have a respectable fourth line, it matters again? I guess that’s just a coincidence.

200.gif
I’ve had to hear all season how the fourth line doesn’t matter. Now, we might suddenly have a respectable fourth line, it matters again? I guess that’s just a coincidence.

200.gif
Teddy isn't a typical 4th line caliber player. Do you think he is?

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I largely agree with this, however it's Sullivan NOT Bylsma, and their styles and abilities are vastly different. One is very well respected, professional and organized and the other isn't. Hopefully you'll be able to figure out which is which.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
He’s Wayne Gretzky compared to our current fourth line.
Well, hes decidedly better but maybe not quite to that degree. I would say Teddy based on his overall play, tenacity, PK prowess and production would/could be a very solid 3C.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Thread degenerates into the same old tired shit.
Ok. Tired of all the posts this year whining about lack of originality when talking about a small group of players almost daily. Artificial boundaries all over the place. I give up.

You create the fresh team related topics/threads (that we've somehow never discussed) and I'll only participate in those board approved conversations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad