Salary Cap: Pens Salary Cap: Free Agency, everyone panic!!! Geno talk to the Geno thread only please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Off season time. New thread time apparently cause @Ugene Magic doesn’t like high page counts.

So how about them Malkin and Letang UFAs? Maybe we should sign one or both.

Geno thread. Keep Geno talk here:

Last edited:
Reactions: Ugene Magic

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Am I the only one who doesn't feel that bugged about clearing space because UFA doesn't have a bunch of exciting options?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Seravelli reported that Marino is the one most likely to be dealt. Nobody really interested in Petterrson’s contract. If they’re going to trade Marino, I feel like we need something more than just cap space coming back to actually feel good about it.

Seravalli has been saying that for months. His write-up on Marino on his trade board is the same it has been since like May.

Am I the only one who doesn't feel that bugged about clearing space because UFA doesn't have a bunch of exciting options?

I don't want to go into next year with Zucker-Trocheck-Rakell as the 2nd line, so yes I want to clear cap space to make sure that doesn't happen.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I don't want to go into next year with Zucker-Trocheck-Rakell as the 2nd line, so yes I want to clear cap space to make sure that doesn't happen.

If Zucker finds some chemistry with him and stays fit I don't think there's a meaningfully stronger choice in free agency. Two ifs, but I don't see why Zucker would be less likely to form that chemistry than anyone else.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Seravalli has been saying that for months. His write-up on Marino on his trade board is the same it has been since like May.

What they want for 1 year of Miller is worse than overpaying for a FA at this point.

Your teams' first in 2023...plus plus plus...

I feel Vancouver has played insane hard ball with Miller trades asking for the moon. I'm not saying he's not good - but he's not a guy I'd empty the entire farm for 1 year of....not until I knew what kind of production he'd pot in a new situation. So acquiring him I feel is a complete 1 year rental. Not bad - but you trade decent pieces for that, not crazy pieces.

Not that it's a big secret - but folks who keep saying "just trade away salary!!"

...are absolutely ignoring the sheer amount of players not receiving QO's, buyouts over the past 3 years, and lack of cap dumps elsewhere. It ain't automatic and it's hard to convince teams to just take your salary dumps - WHILE trying to backfill those slots.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Sorry if it's been talked about but what does everyone think Kubalik will go for?
I think he'll come in at 1yr 3mil. Maybe 2 x 2.75mil.

I'd go if depending on how the 2C search goes.
Seravelli reported that Marino is the one most likely to be dealt. Nobody really interested in Petterrson’s contract. If they’re going to trade Marino, I feel like we need something more than just cap space coming back to actually feel good about it.
Doesn't make sense for us unless it's a major asset coming back. Like if we miss on Geno, maybe Marino+ for Horvat. Tough when we are depth on LD and light on RD. But if they can nab a RD in FA tomorrow, maybe it opens things up.

Marino for Horvat
Zucker for Petry?
Sign a 2RW

Jake-Sid-Rust
Rakell-Horvat-Trocheck
DOC-Carter-Kapanen
Zohorna-Bleuger-McGinn

Dumo-Letang
Matheson-Petry
Pettersson-Rudwedel

I did the CF and it works. Barely.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I wonder if Chicago would do Zucker, Kapanen and Hallander for like a seventh-round draft pick in 2025. Gives them three forwards, two of which could be deadline deal material or two of them could be building blocks potentially. Chicago has been unusually interested in Penguins players recently. I assume they have pro scouts and/or amateur scouts who used to be with the Pens. I don't know.

If Pettersson is unwanted on the trade front, move on. We have two other LD that we could deal. Trade Matheson for a similar RD and we could insert Joseph into the lineup instead of Ruhwedel/Friedman...win.

I have a hard time believing Dumoulin would be unwanted on the trade front, but the trading team has to want to trade the player.

We seem infatuated with 95% of the roster.

I can understand it is a business while being sad when a guy I have followed for 15 years is pushed out the door. Those are not mutually exclusive things.
Not much of a business decision, either.

BillyOcean

Jan 2, 2015
I can understand it is a business while being sad when a guy I have followed for 15 years is pushed out the door. Those are not mutually exclusive things.
Your first paragraph is about making change, but when they potentially make a change with Malkin you're upset?

"I understand if they want to make changes....but not MALKIN!"

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Here is my issue. Why in the world would we look at 4 first round exits and immediately turn and say "Yeah but sign everyone again because this time it will be different!"

We have common ground. We have a common focus. You already know I want G, Sid, Letang to retire Penguins. But the fan inside of me that just cares about Stanley Cups looks and says "heart be damned... this is results oriented and the results have been stuck in a rut for 4 years."

My mind couldn't be more open to all of this. If players sign - cool. If they walk - cool.
So, why not fire the coach?

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Your first paragraph is about making change, but when they potentially make a change with Malkin you're upset?

"I understand if they want to make changes....but not MALKIN!"
Uhh yea, cuz front office's idea of change will be Trocheck on line 2. I am honestly amazed so many people on here are on board with that, me personally it makes me want to barf.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Not that it's a big secret - but folks who keep saying "just trade away salary!!"

...are absolutely ignoring the sheer amount of players not receiving QO's, buyouts over the past 3 years, and lack of cap dumps elsewhere. It ain't automatic and it's hard to convince teams to just take your salary dumps - WHILE trying to backfill those slots.

Very good point. Teams are smartly walking away from average to even slightly above average performers just to gain cap to sign cheaper players who can do the same thing. This offseason definitely has a "moneyball" feel to it.

Re: Petts
To put it another way: if he was a RFA, would you qualify him?

If the answer is no, then you understand why teams don't want him. It's a bad contract in this environment

Reactions: molon labe

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Oh man you are preaching to the choir. Like it really baffles my f***ing mind.

How did we win cups before? New coach. What should we do when the team has become stale? BRO GO BACK TO THE WELL AND DO IT AGAIN. FIRE THE f***ING COACH.
Which is exactly why anyone wants to take FSG at their word about competing I just have to laugh. We ain't competing. This is not a team that's reaching for the stars or actually believes it can compete, despite all they tell the fans, Geno or no Geno.

If Geno walks, you better hope this team crashes because no matter who that 2C is, it's not going anywhere, not with Rakell (lol people think he's a 60 point guy?), not with Zucker, not with Rust, not with an aged Letang and a terrible Dumolin. The only way the team will win in the near future is if they get some assets worth a damn, and the best way to do that is the draft, since we're obviously committing to 6 years of greater mediocrity.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

"Pushed out the door" = they didn't offer him a contract or 1 so low it's insulting

From the reports, that is not the case.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Which is exactly why anyone wants to take FSG at their word about competing I just have to laugh. We ain't competing. This is not a team that's reaching for the stars or actually believes it can compete, despite all they tell the fans.

Which is another reason why i don't get not just signing G. From a business perspective 87, 71, and 58 sell tickets. It's like teh easiest money maker in the world :laugh:

I don't trust any ownership. I just cannot believe the tried and true way to win a Cup with this era isn't being tried. FIRE THE COACH.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad