Salary Cap: Pens Salary Cap: Free Agency, everyone panic!!! Geno talk to the Geno thread only please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Off season time. New thread time apparently cause @Ugene Magic doesn’t like high page counts.

So how about them Malkin and Letang UFAs? Maybe we should sign one or both.

Geno thread. Keep Geno talk here:

Last edited:
Reactions: Ugene Magic

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Footage of ERod exploring the market:

grandpa-simpson.gif

Nah he's going to get a nice UFA contract to be someone's 3C I bet.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I hope so because he seems like a nice guy and I'd love to watch the fanbase bend history and start claiming they always knew he was a good player ala McCann.

I am torn between hoping he catches on as an NHL C because he seems like he deserves it and being furious at the idea as then I'll grumble he should have played more C here.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I hope so because he seems like a nice guy and I'd love to watch the fanbase bend history and start claiming they always knew he was a good player ala McCann.
You do know there were quite a few here that thought losing McCann for nothing was nonsensical? Search bar directly above to your right.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
You do know there were quite a few here that thought losing McCann for nothing was nonsensical? Search bar directly above to your right.
A lot of them were the same people complaining about him not being a good player the summer before. I was one of the few people defending him going into his final year here.

"Become a hockey expert in this one easy step"

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Here is my issue. Why in the world would we look at 4 first round exits and immediately turn and say "Yeah but sign everyone again because this time it will be different!"

We have common ground. We have a common focus. You already know I want G, Sid, Letang to retire Penguins. But the fan inside of me that just cares about Stanley Cups looks and says "heart be damned... this is results oriented and the results have been stuck in a rut for 4 years."

My mind couldn't be more open to all of this. If players sign - cool. If they walk - cool.
Right and signing Geno is the best way to win Stanley cups for the next few years unless they do something unexpected like Johnny hockey. So this is both a heart and mind conversation where both points to bringing G back.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Right and signing Geno is the best way to win Stanley cups for the next few years unless they do something unexpected like Johnny hockey. So this is both a heart and mind conversation where both points to bringing G back.

Well Shady you know my take already. I would have fired Sully. 100%. I think the roster IS good enough.

But with Sully being immune to firing, IDK if the results support the idea that you just said. In fact the results 100% prove you wrong and the definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting a different result.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Honestly I might just claim Balcers off of waivers and not even both waiting for him to be bought out. He only makes $1.55 million next year.

He's a really odd one to see get bought out, he had 23 points in 61 games last year with pretty good underlying numbers.

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013
Petts would be cheaper to move, you'd have to think. Package Petts with our 2nd for a late pick and buyout Zucker. Frees up 7.5M in cap space and we eat 1.7M next season on the Zucker buyout.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Tangential but given his record, winning the bidding war to bring in Gaudreau as a step towards being a better playoff team is something that could easily go very wrong.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Well Shady you know my take already. I would have fired Sully. 100%. I think the roster IS good enough.

But with Sully being immune to firing, IDK if the results support the idea that you just said. In fact the results 100% prove you wrong and the definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting a different result.

Hey I’m just saying at this particular position and player, yes doing the same thing makes sense. I am certainly not advocating bringing back the full roster. Obviously I don’t know what options are available, but I’d shed the fat elsewhere. At least two of Kap, MP, Blueger, McGinn, Zucker would be gone. I likely wouldn’t have signed Rakell and used the savings from those other trades (assuming it could be done) to go big game hunting in addition to Malkin returning.

My point is there are plenty of options to change the roster without replacing Malkin with a worse player and hoping it works out.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I feel very confused as to why a fairly young 30 point pacing bottom sixer with a cheap-ish contract and decent defensive metrics is getting brought out.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
I feel very confused as to why a fairly young 30 point pacing bottom sixer with a cheap-ish contract and decent defensive metrics is getting brought out.

Maybe they have to bring back kane at his 7mil?
Or maybe they are going after geno at 7mil

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Petts would be cheaper to move, you'd have to think. Package Petts with our 2nd for a late pick and buyout Zucker. Frees up 7.5M in cap space and we eat 1.7M next season on the Zucker buyout.
Sounds like your at the panic stage here. We're not there yet. And I don't think we'd have to give up a 2hd rounder. Petts doesn't have a lot of value but I'm not convinced he has negative value either, well, at least not to that degree.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Sounds like your at the panic stage here. We're not there yet. And I don't think we'd have to give up a 2hd rounder. Petts doesn't have a lot of value but I'm not convinced he has negative value either, well, at least not to that degree.
I believe with the lack of Dman Petts could garner a pick in the 4-5 range I'd guess.

Zucker is tricky but if you retain a mil or so and attach a 2nd. I think a team would take him. Heck throw a 3rd for '24 on there to get it done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad